Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
hi guys I'm new to the site and new to my 2011 Audi A3. I'm looking for other A3 and TDI owners in and around the Chicago land area. I currently own 2 other Audis I have a 2001 TT roadster and a 2003 A6 that's for sale please hit me back and let's get together for a beer. Does anyone have a vag-com or knows how to get around the expensive cable. I need to change my gas filter. Cheers

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
it's really not expensive if you're planning to keep the car. The chinese crap don't have the same functionality. My VCDS has paid for itself over and over.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
you could trying to contact member dzcad90, Don is a moderator here and is in Joliet. good luck. in the end, buying vag-com will not be a losing venture. oh yeah, it is a fuel filter. you need to get into the habit of using the term "fuel" so you do not fill your car with the wrong go-juice.

Last edited:

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
Isn't it just a cable! The software is down loaded from a site. Am I right or am I wrong. I'm an IT guy and a cable is a cable it's a spec. It's like wasting your money on a monster cable total scam. I can handle it give it to me if I'm wrong. I just want to know which one and where to buy. If anyone can supple a link I would appreciate it. Thanks guys

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sorry, I can not find the correct page but here is the link to their site.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

there is a $249 option and a $349 option. the software is free but is linked to your cable (iirc). the lower priced option will work on your vehicle and all vehicles built after '05.5 and the higher priced cable will work on older cars. If you would like to help others, make a few friends and get a few beers for your hassle, this may or may not be worth the extra money to you. Remember you would be able to help someone in the position you are in now. VCDS does more than any other software program you will find. go here to verify the info I provided and to ask any other questions, most members here are more knowledgeable than me about this stuff. The guys at Ross-Tech are members here and will be happy to help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Isn't it just a cable! The software is down loaded from a site. Am I right or am I wrong. I'm an IT guy and a cable is a cable it's a spec. It's like wasting your money on a monster cable total scam. I can handle it give it to me if I'm wrong. I just want to know which one and where to buy. If anyone can supple a link I would appreciate it. Thanks guys
The key is integrated into cable. So, a Chinese knockoff should not be able to use legit Ross tech vcds software. Just get a used micro can. I picked mine up for $175 a while back.

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I need to find someone in the Chicago land area that has one I bought the fuel filter and can't change it until I find one. Can anyone help me out. I need the Micro Can for my car. Thanks

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
i changed my fuel filters on my a3 2011 without it. you just prime the system manually. a couple alligator clips and long wires were all that were needed. i have yet to need the cable and software for general maintenance, there are documented manual work arounds for everything ive done to the vehicle.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
No software so I can't help you there, but we're close so if you see me driving around don't forget to wave! I rarely see A3s around our area, especially TDIs, so nice to have another one around.

Matthew

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
Keasbey How many miles do you have on the 2011? and Matatk did you guys see my post about having a chicago land area get together at my house in Shorewood I didn't get any responses yet :(

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I get the hook up on on the VCDS from dzcad90 hopefully were gonna hook up soon. Thanks guys for the info.

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
On ebay it says the cable will work and on Ross Tech it says 3rd party cable is $99 for the software. Has anyone used the 3 party cable not from Ross tech?

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Baja - sorry, I don't peruse the website much other than this section. Meet up sounds cool, even if it's just a parking lot gathering.I work almost every weekend so that sucks and I have two little ones but I try to get out when I can.

I have seen the aftermarket cables, but in my opinion from working on other cars (my hobby) I prefer oem.

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I only have 68000 now on the 2011 but today I noticed a hasitation while the engine was cold have you ever had that happen. The car was sitting for 1 day after a long trip and I did not let it warm up once I started it up. Soon after it was running fine. Has this ever happened to anyone else in a A3

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
minor stutters from time to time. i believe its part of the car and works itself out shortly after.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Mine seems to be more trans related when it is cold. I put it in sport mode for the first few minutes until the trans warms up.

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I got the Malone stage 2 and DPF and HP EGR delete completed took care of the hesitation issue car is now running great

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
Ha Ha Ha Ha don't know if anyone saw this picture I changed my avatar I think its funny. LOL