Pontiac Grand Prix Fan Switch

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
My brothers 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix fan switch is only working when it is set on the max blowing setting. Unfortunately, the car has 40k, and is just past the warrant period. Has anyone had experience/seen this? Does anyone know of an internet forum that could shed some light?

This problem popped up just after his most recent problem was fixed. His entire electrical system was shutting down occasionally. I was driving on the highway one night when it happened. Car went completely black for about 2 seconds, then everything came back on. I can't remember what the initially replaced, but the problem continued. His car has the "auto" turn on lights (rain, dark, etc.). The problem reappeared when turning the car on under these circumstances. Next, they replaced something to do with the ignition switch I believe. This work was done for free by the dealership(less than 2,000 miles ago) where he purchased the car even though it was out of warranty. They aren't offering to do the same this time.

Is it possible that there is still an electronics issue with the car, or are these two problems independent of one another?

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Maybe it's the same thing that happened to me and many others with our '94-96 Impala SSs.(POS)

There is a part mounted near the fan motor that has a couple of grids behind. Either the resistor that connects two of these grids is bad, or in my case, one end of the resistor connection had come unsoldered. There are two or three 5.5 mm (odd sizing) sheet metal screws that hold it in place in the duct works near the motor. You cannot therefore see this resistor because it is inside out of sight!

Sorry that I cannot be more precise, but I'll bet that is the problem. I didn't keep my 2000 GTP long enough for that to happen to it.

The part, sorry I cannot recall its name, sells for around $15.

HTHs