VCDS in San Antonio?

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Howdy, sorry if this type of post is frowned upon. I need an autoscan on my 04 jetta (BEW) and I live in San Antonio. Can anyone help me out? I used to bring my car to runonbeer but he's closed up shop and is living the dream.

Thanks, will bring beer!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Howdy, sorry if this type of post is frowned upon. I need an autoscan on my 04 jetta (BEW) and I live in San Antonio. Can anyone help me out? I used to bring my car to runonbeer but he's closed up shop and is living the dream.

Thanks, will bring beer!
I will be in SA at the end of the month. If you still need something then let me know. I am often on the weekends near Weimar if you are willing to drive that far.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Thank you both for replying. Jokila, if I haven't figured anything out by the end of the month I'll let you know.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I have thought about it. But I'm fairly clueless about what I actually need to buy. For example, what's the difference between that cable and a cheapo one from amazon? I'm thinking of the vcds lite version. From what I can tell, the least expensive route is that software ($99) and a generic cable for about $20. Any advice you can offer would be welcome.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, you pretty much want the Ross Tech if you're going to get one. Knockoffs will not do a full autoscan.
That ebay deal looks good, as long as it has the firmware license (built into the hardware), check at ross-tech.com for compatibility.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have thought about it. But I'm fairly clueless about what I actually need to buy. For example, what's the difference between that cable and a cheapo one from amazon? I'm thinking of the vcds lite version. From what I can tell, the least expensive route is that software ($99) and a generic cable for about $20. Any advice you can offer would be welcome.
There are different versions of the Ross Tech cable too. The one in that ebay auction should work with your Jetta. It uses K-line for connectivity However, it won't work with 2005 and later models that require CAN bus connectivity.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
For the beer deal I would think jokila would probably be willing to show you how to put your ross tech cable through it's paces if you have problems. As Bob said verify
it will work on your car.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Okay, so the least expensive path to getting full autoscan is the ross tech cable on ebay and the $99 vcds lite?

I realize that later cars need CAN bus and that's a different cable/software. But I'm only interested in fairly simple diagnostics on my car. I have a CEL code P2196, which may or may not be the O2 sensor. My car has a kerma tune and they asked me to send an autoscan to help me figure out if it's the sensor or something else. There's no degradation in performance. I have read somewhere on this forum that in tuned PDs with the egr turned off, the O2 sensor has limited function.

Thanks again for your help!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am in Round Rock just North of Austin. I can do it for you if you care to meet. I am free Saturday and Sunday late afternoon and evening.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Okay, so the least expensive path to getting full autoscan is the ross tech cable on ebay and the $99 vcds lite?

I realize that later cars need CAN bus and that's a different cable/software. But I'm only interested in fairly simple diagnostics on my car. I have a CEL code P2196, which may or may not be the O2 sensor. My car has a kerma tune and they asked me to send an autoscan to help me figure out if it's the sensor or something else. There's no degradation in performance. I have read somewhere on this forum that in tuned PDs with the egr turned off, the O2 sensor has limited function.

Thanks again for your help!
Every thing I have ever heard about roas tech is you buy their cable. Download the software and that's it. The genuine cable is your license.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure that KII-USB has the license in the cable (firmware). You should be able to download the full VCDS software for free.
It's a great deal really if it's as advertised, you wouldn't have tech support, but you shouldn't have to buy anything else. Jump on ross-tech.com and see if it will let you download the full version for that unit. There cheapest unit is like $250 maybe.
But it is ebay, and anything can happen there.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Pretty sure that KII-USB has the license in the cable (firmware). You should be able to download the full VCDS software for free.
It's a great deal really if it's as advertised, you wouldn't have tech support, but you shouldn't have to buy anything else. Jump on ross-tech.com and see if it will let you download the full version for that unit. There cheapest unit is like $250 maybe.
But it is ebay, and anything can happen there.
You are correct.

That cable is unrestricted (can scan unlimited number of cars) which has the firmware built into it that can be use on 2004 and earlier VW, Audi, etc., that doesn't require a CAN bus access. All you need is the free VCDS software.

OP - If you can get it for $99 or less it's a better deal than VCDS lite for your situation.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am coming down there to retrieve some ammo. If you get in touch with me today and make arrangements I will bring my laptop and cable. Meeting someone at the Home Depot at 1604 and IH35, around 11am or noon tentatively.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Thanks again for all your help, as it turned out that cable went for about $150, more than I was wanting to pay at this point. Lightflyer, thank for offering, I wasn't able to get on the forum until just now. Looks like I found someone in SA, thanks to Rob.