Auto?

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
My wife is having hip problems and wants a auto bug. Wouldn't you know it, I have three manual bugs. I read on here years ago that there was a couple years to stay away from, can someone refresh my memory? Thanks

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
You would be better off with a DSG model which I think hit the market in 2005.

There were some early recalls on the DSG so you will want to check to see if those recalls were done for some peace of mind.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The new Beetles with the BEW diesel (so 2004-2006) were equipped with the DSG as the automatic option. Aside from the goofy shifting here and there, and the weird one-model-only drive axles that often need attention, they are OK. Certainly far better than the 01M (1998-2003) automatic option.

Note; 2006 NBs got the goofy facelift that in my opinion makes them look dumb. Squared off fenders, different tail lamp lenses, different front and rear bumper covers, etc. They just ruined the design if you ask me. So if you want one that still looks correct, and don't want the liability of the 01M, then 2004 and 2005 TDI NBs would be the one to look for. Not many around, but they are out there.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Not sure on Beetles, but 2004 Jetta's and beyond are not the auto tranny's with problems like the 01M code <2003 cars.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I recently saw a nice 04-06 tdi auto Beetle in my searches for ALH BEETLES, but I don't recall where it was. I have a hard enough time remembering the ones I'm looking for and sort of glaze over the autos. I've looked at a hundred or so Beetle listings over the past couple of months. I'll keep my eyes open for a good one for you. Are you willing to travel for one? If so, how far? Or would you opt to ship one?

dweisel

Last edited:

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
I apologize for not getting back. Had to move my daughter, ugg! Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it! Thanks dweisel for the offer but will not be moving on one in the near future.