2014 Audi A6 TDI Diesel Review

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Any car at that price is going to be awesome...mine was well under 20k...

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I just drive a 5speed stick. Maybe down the road (agewise) I need an Automatic.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I have no idea what to think about this bit from the review. By learning to "trust" the system does he mean "don't brake to keep from hitting the car in front of you". I actually can't believe that these systems that steer the car are even legal. Here is the excerpt:

My test vehicle’s Driver Assistance package proved extremely useful, especially on Los Angeles’ ridiculously overcrowded freeway system. Audi adaptive cruise control can bring the A6 all the way to a complete stop, and then start the car in motion again when traffic moves, while Audi active lane assist helps keep the car between the lines. It’s not autonomous driving, but it certainly takes the edge off of bumper-to-bumper traffic once you get to trust the system.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
What recall history?
yeah you beat me to it. what recalls? its a good/great system & more affordable now that i'm not getting the fluid changed at the dealership! i wonder how much tweaking has been done to it since my 2009 by vag to smooth out shifting. speed certainly isn't the issue. auto downshift can be overidden(?)with vagcom. i suppose there's always malone's tune to 'enhance the experience' but if you are shelling it out for the audi you are probably hoping there is nothing to 'enhance'.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
You mean the one that never shipped to North America, thus rendering and recalls irrelevant?

Got it! :)

- Tim

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Audi A6 Avant Ultra review

Audi A6 Avant Ultra review

A new and more potent 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine sees power rise from 175bhp to 187bhp, while the old eight-speed CVT gearbox has been ditched in favour of the responsive seven-speed twin-clutch auto. The changes see economy soar from 55.4mpg to 61.4mpg, with CO2 emissions falling to 119g/km from 135g/km.

There is 20Nm more torque, too – up to 400Nm – and you now get more of it from lower in the rev range. Combine that with the smoother S tronic gearbox and acceleration from 0-62mph now takes 8.5 seconds, down from nine seconds.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I wonder if that power train will ever make it over to this side of the pond?

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
A big Audi Avant fan here! Should AoA get up the nerve and import more than just the A4 Avant..... Make mine a A6 Avant with the 4.0TDI and 7spd DSG, lower the suspension and fit the best brakes Audi has in their grab bag. In the USA this means "bring money".

We owned a new metallic silver over black leather MY96 UrS6 Avant with all the RS2 enhancements and Euro parts the USA bean counters left off. The S6 was my daily driver for 10 years. Miss that wagon, a true sleeper....

PS. just read an earlier post of your A4 kombi import to Canada. I know that A4 1.8 kombi model well; its my in-laws car in Wiesbaden, Germany. last I checked during this past Christmas visit the mileage since new was 33,000 KM

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I've owned 2 UrS4s and feel your pain, but you will have to keep waiting or leave it to the aftermarket to get exactly what you want.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Engine is lifted straight from the 2014-15 golf GTD,that engine is in quite a few higher end models. Ive been told the GTD is coming to NA by one of the dealers but i think the question is when?
This newer 2.0 diesel w/DGS in the German market's MY14 GTD.. could be the basis for many a diesel USA VW & Audi model.

I too hear the GTD Golf is headed to USA shores. Fitted to either the Golf GTD or ideally an Audi A4 kombi,,,, could be a winner.

Last edited:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I must say one of the holy grails of cars in this country would be an A6 TDI wagon with Quattro and a 6 speed manual...baby steps :D.

------------
As posted here.

If you’re looking for a smooth ride, off the line power, excellent gas mileage, and European styling, look no further than Audi’s A6 TDI.
Honestly, I have’t driven, or really ridden in a diesel powered car since I was kid. We owned a diesel Mercedes and the engine noise and vibaration was more analogous to that of a freight train than a car. The diesels of today, and in this case Audi’s TDI, are nothing like the ones of decades before. Gone is the obnoxious vibrations echoed through the car, as is the boring and beleaguering churn of the engine note when the windows are rolled down.
Sending power to the Audi A6 TDI’s wheels is a turbo V6 diesel mated to a silky smooth 8-speed gear box. Total output is 240 horses, but the real spec to pay attention to is the torque; 428 lb-ft. Factor in Audi’s all wheel drive (aka Quattro) and the German auto maker says it rockets this ship to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, maybe faster.
But the real story here is the fuel economy. That and how silky smooth and wonderful it is to drive the Audi A6 diesel. Fuel economy is spec’d at 30 mpg combined, with city achieving 26 and highway 38. Perhaps to better illistrate my point: I drove family around for 6 days on a single tank for the Audi A6 review. We covered just under 300 miles and just barely pushed over the center line of the fuel gauge.
Aside from the interior being outfitted with a football pigskin brown (not a recommended color), the fit and finish is top tier. But I didn’t expect anything less. Keyless entry, push button start, heated seats, dual zone climate control and a full nav with Google everything we’re all part of the package. The only things missing we’re a hud and a motorized trunk. Two things I can live without, but would have easily pushed my A6 to another tier of opulence.
Albeit marginally, the petrol based engine is smoother. However, the average consumer would be, and will be hard pressed to discern between the two when seated inside of the cabin. And I suppose if I had to nit pick, my A6 TDI didn’t have Audi’s Driver Select modes, which when available allows one to influence the steering feel, suspension and transmission/accelerator sensitivity (switching into S or Sport mode by pulling down on the stick achieves this, though).
So would I buy the A6 TDI? For the gas mileage yes. But I’m a performance hog that loves a stiff ride, which this car is not. It’s smooth and a bit soft through the corners…as it’s intended to be. In short, diesel is no longer a compromise; performance sacrificed in the name of fuel economy.
* All of the pictures I capture we’re lost. So, the above is a stock image of an A6 that might be a TDI.

----------------

Another older, but perhaps better, review by Car and Driver.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2014/12/2014-audi-a6-tdi-diesel-review