The Dietzl Mod

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (Mickey)-RIP | 2011 335d-RIP | 2010 Jetta TDI (Merlin)-Returned to VW | 2001 Jetta TDI (The German)-SOLD
Has anyone experienced any issues with this mod? I picked up a Wix filter head and installed a CAT 1R-0750 filter. If the car sits for 30+ min, the clear fuel line ends up completely dry and the car won't start. There are no visible leaks when the car is running or while it is off. Fuel filter was filled to the brim when installed with a -119 o-ring on the inner thread. I've double checked all my connections and still can't figure out where air is getting into the system. Thoughts?
P.S. How do you get the engine bay that clean?:eek:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Has anyone experienced any issues with this mod? I picked up a Wix filter head and installed a CAT 1R-0750 filter. If the car sits for 30+ min, the clear fuel line ends up completely dry and the car won't start. There are no visible leaks when the car is running or while it is off. Fuel filter was filled to the brim when installed with a -119 o-ring on the inner thread. I've double checked all my connections and still can't figure out where air is getting into the system.
Is this O-ring in addition to the one already on the top of the Wix or Cat filter?

There really aren't any other ways for air to get into the fuel line, so it has to be the interface between the filter and the filter base.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I just installed a Nicktane kit (w/CAT filter) in my Golf. No issues. Are your line connections on top of the filter head tight?

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (Mickey)-RIP | 2011 335d-RIP | 2010 Jetta TDI (Merlin)-Returned to VW | 2001 Jetta TDI (The German)-SOLD
Well, I triple checked all connections and fuel lines. Still would find the line to the pump dry after the car had been sitting for a bit. Decided to throw a stock filter back in there. No more issues. I'm sure a Nicktane filter head would probably have resolved the issue, but for now I'll wait until the life of the new stock filter is spent before looking at CAT upgrade again.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Similar, if not the same, on eBay for just under $23, including shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Fuel-Filter-Mounting-Base-3-8-NPT-1-14-Center-Thread-Spin-On-Mount/222406555953?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And, below with primer pump for less than $20.00 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pump-Diesel...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have not used either of these and have no idea of quality!
Andy,

I can vouch for the first one that you linked. I have that exact one on all three of my BRM's. Quality is solid and shipment is quick. There are a few threads on the best filter to use for the 1-14 thread filters. I was able to get a great price on the filters thru Amazon.

Where I had issues was around the 90 degree elbow. I used one elbow and one straight (3/8 x 5/16). Napa had the straight fitting for dirt cheap in the air tools section. I also added glycerin filed gauges to two of the cars, to watch the pressure drop. Unlike the OP, I left the mounting bracket on mine.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I can't find the nickname kit online. Can you give me a link? Thanks
http://nicktane.com/index.php/product/uber-fuel-filter-kit-jetta-golf-mk4-mkv/

It works great, but I am not 100% sure that it will fit in a New Beetle. It does not take up much more space than the OE filter, but it might be too tall. CAT does have lots of filters and probably has a slightly shorter filter than the 1R-0750.

If you get it, I recommend the version threaded for the 2-micron Cat filter, since those are available almost everywhere and the 1-micron filter is not.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Similar, if not the same, on eBay for just under $23, including shipping!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Fuel-Filter-Mounting-Base-3-8-NPT-1-14-Center-Thread-Spin-On-Mount/222406555953?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And, below with primer pump for less than $20.00 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pump-Diesel...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I have not used either of these and have no idea of quality!
Both links may be good if you live in the USA, but the first has a US$ 16.00 shipping cost and the second is a ridiculous US$ 35.00 shipping to Canada.
Just how is this mod better than the OEM fuel filter? Is it a less expensive filter refill?

The same from China is about US$ 22.00 and free shipping !
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Fi...d=182671971799&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
For those looking for the 14-1 filter head, you can also source Napa 4770 Wix 24770 Diesel Fuel Filter Mounting Base for CAT 1R-0749 or 1R-0750. These should be fairly cheap.

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
For those looking for the 14-1 filter head, you can also source Napa 4770 Wix 24770 Diesel Fuel Filter Mounting Base for CAT 1R-0749 or 1R-0750. These should be fairly cheap.
This is what I used. As far as I can tell, it wouldn't form a airtight seal. Tried troubleshooting several different ways, and would still encounter the problem stated previously. While I acknowledge that it may very well have been user error, I think the issue was somewhere in the filter head itself.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Both links may be good if you live in the USA, but the first has a US$ 16.00 shipping cost and the second is a ridiculous US$ 35.00 shipping to Canada.
Just how is this mod better than the OEM fuel filter? Is it a less expensive filter refill?

The same from China is about US$ 22.00 and free shipping !
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Fi...d=182671971799&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I never changed my OE filter set up!

I had those in watch because I am considering changing the filter system on my Yanmar Excavator. It uses a very small filter. Thus, I was only sharing, for comparison, what I had stumbled onto a few months ago...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been driving VW diesels since January of 1980. Presently, I own nothing newer than an '02 with the ALH (so, not speaking for the later generations with the HPFP). So, with all those engines from day one to now, I changed the Fuel Filter in late fall, regardless of miles, so it would go through the winter with a fresh filter.

In my 2000 Jetta, the once per year change generally had about 36k miles on it during my career with daily driving. However, I do think the interval is more often, something like ever 20k miles.

Without all the details (trust me or not), my brother never changed the Original Fuel Filter on his 2001 ALH until just a little over 171k miles (no problems either). He lives northeast of Atlanta, GA.

So, I suspect it is pretty safe to say that a 40k mile interval would be okay.

Side note: In my 14 years being a member here, I've read story after story where there would be a "no start" issue and the first thing the owner done was change the fuel filter... which generally contributed to the other unknown problem.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how often should the filter be replaced?
I just replaced a CAT fuel filter this week, after 57k miles.

But I have gone longer than that in the past. Long ago I read something about the fuel filter replacement schedule for Class 8 trucks, and by estimating the number of gallons they would use in that number of miles I calculated that the CAT filter would require replacement in our TDI engines about every 80k to 120k miles.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I change my CAT filter every 100k miles, and have no doubt it could go much farther.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whoa! 100k miles!

Anyone concerned about trapped water (seeing as there's no water drain)? It's one of the things that kept me from doing this mod until recently: since my blue car came with this setup I figured I'd break down and do my other two cars.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Yes, a water drain would be nice on the CAT but there's no room.

But a filter with a drain or not, one tank of bad fuel and you're likely cooked.

I think for most people, the water drain is out of sight and forgotten anyway.

I've had to replace my in tank lift pump a couple times over the years, and on inspection, there was zero water in the tank, not even a few globules rolling around.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
money constraints have me using the napa fliter for now.. got the mount and the filter on the way.. i got the hose connectors already from menards... going to do this convert on the ute project i'm working on.after i get it driving again.... im going to change it to the cat filter or a donaldson filter after putting some miles on it

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thought I'd post on my most recent experience with one of these things, another Nicktane install. Had issues with an air leak after putting one on the wife's car. Thought I'd tightened the fittings well enough. I re-tightened, finding one to take a fair amount more tightening. Still issues. The filter-to-filter head connection was good, couldn't tighten this any more. Once again I put a wrench to the fittings, and, once again I got a lot more tightening out of the one. The issue is now resolved. So, just keep checking on the top fittings if you're finding that you continue to have air issues. Be careful to not over-torque. I'm just extremely careful about not wanting to over-torque compression fittings, sometimes to my own detriment.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
I also found this for people in Canada, I thin it's the same thing, but is has some nice mounting brackets too.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Fuel-Filter/Water-Separator-Kit/product/45681/49674

BassPro have changed their website.

Description:

The Bass Pro Shops® Fuel Filter and Water Separator Kit increases fuel efficiency by removing water, dirt and other impurities from your fuel. The kit is designed for use with any 2- and 4-cycle outboard, inboard and inboard/outboard motors and includes a bracket and spin-on-style filter. When bracket and filter are put together, the height is 6.75". Filter has a 10 micron rating.

• Increases fuel efficiency by removing water, dirt and other impurities
  • For use with any 2- and 4-cycle outboard, inboard and inboard/outboard motors
  • Includes a bracket and spin-on-style filter

Replacement filter cartridges for the Fuel Filter and Water Separator Kit are also available.
The revised link is here:
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-fuel-filter-water-separator-kit

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Bass Pro Shops® Fuel Filter and Water Separator Kit increases fuel efficiency by removing water, dirt and other impurities from your fuel. The kit is designed for use with any 2- and 4-cycle outboard, inboard and inboard/outboard motors and includes a bracket and spin-on-style filter. When bracket and filter are put together, the height is 6.75". Filter has a 10 micron rating.
10 microns? That might be an improvement for some, but the CAT filters are rated at 2 microns.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Cim-Tek makes a good value filter, however their ratings are nominal and you have to do a lot of digging to get actual filtration efficiency.

https://www.cim-tek.com/images/cimtek_pdf/70025_sell_sheet_lowres.pdf

Not the exact same filter, but still a Cim-Tek microglass element rated a 2 microns - they still let a lot of particles through below 5 microns and don't really become "good" until you start approaching 10 microns. Beta ratios of 200 are typically the lowest "absolute" rating, more commonly 1000 is considered "absolute".

I'm not putting Cim-Tek down, I've bought, installed and recommended hundreds of Cim-Tek filters, just installed one this past weekend in fact. I believe it's important to bring a little data to the table here though in terms of ratings.

Other companies rate their filters a bit differently as shown below from Hy-Pro - 1M is 1 micron, 3M is 3 micron, etc. The 12 micron Hy-Pro performs similarly to the 1 micron Cim-Tek above - both have a beta ratio of ~200 (99.5% Efficient) at 7.5 microns.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
ok, very odd request for this mod, what is the thread pitch on this part? im going to use it to upgrade the oil cooling and filtration on my gy6 232 conversion, i want to increase my oil capacity for cooling and this is probably the way im going to go but i dont want to use a HUGE filter like this, more like a car oil filter, but i would like to use this Napa # 4770 part to do it. Any help? FYI this post is not TDI related but goes in this thread for the thread pitch and size request. Thanks

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just changed the oil filter in my Jetta to a Baldwin FB-1311 filter base (which also fits the Cat 2 Micron filter) and installed a Baldwin BF-1212 fuel/water separating filter. Granted this filter is only rated at 20 Microns, which is better than the Bosch one is rated, but it is taller too. Baldwin filter are highly consumer rated, and much less expensive than most of the other guys; the cool thing is, you can call Baldwin and speak directly to one of their engineers about any product they make. I paid $21.99 for the filter base, and $13.75 for the filter. This filter base uses AN fittings and only has two AN ports: in and out, and they are huge. These AN fitting have o-rings built into them so they will not leak; the ones I got were reduced down to 3/8" NPT so I could put in NPT to 5/16 hose barbs. When I replace this filter I will go to a shorter one that has a drain plug and a hex key drain port, and then hopefully I can re-install my windshield washer bag...