Balance shaft

JeffOB

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have a 2005 Passat Wagon with 160,000 miles. I noticed no excessive noise, yet the service technician detected one... The result is a relatively major repair of a balance shaft? What should one expect to pay, what other issues should be expected...there was no service op for this repair and I was wondering if its common.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Welcome to tdiclub. You may be one of the "lucky" ones. Occasionally we get new members who find out about the Balance shaft after the engine has been grenanded.

Take a look in the B5 threads for everything you need to know about the Passat BSM repair. The cost is about $3000 and depending on where you are located in NJ, you may have a local "Guru" who can perform the swap for far less than a dealer.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Member hervster1 is located in Columbia NJ:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=38775

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have a 2005 Passat Wagon with 160,000 miles. I noticed no excessive noise, yet the service technician detected one... The result is a relatively major repair of a balance shaft? What should one expect to pay, what other issues should be expected...there was no service op for this repair and I was wondering if its common.
Yep the noise creeps up on you. You don't realize the noise is there until they replace the unit.

Make sure to get the upgraded geared unit. If the Stealership doesn't know about this then run to a guru!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
If you can hear a clattering noise right at the front of the crank with the engine at idle, that is your problem. The $3000 number is very much on the money.

Also, while you are there, check all the idlers and tensioners for the serpentine belt.