ALH turbo replacement parts don't seem to match

tomdavis

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hi everyone,
I am new to the website as a registered user, though I have been lurking around the site for years. I've run into a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to after searching around for hours.

I need to replace the turbo on my 2000 Jetta TDI which recently died (RIP). The potential replacement assemblies that I see online have a slightly different configuration on the exhaust manifold than my exhaust manifold. The most prominent example is the engine-to-turbo bracket ear. Mine is oriented 90 degrees from theirs. See pic...

Can anyone clue me in on what is going on here? They claim to be the correct part for my Jetta but that aren't.

Thanks for any advice!
Tom

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's not unusual for there to be slight casting differences, but first things first: genuine Garrett OEM replacement, or off-shore substitute? :) :)

If off-shore there's your answer, and given how a turbo failure can take out the rest of your engine you may want to consider if you feel lucky enough to take a chance on a 3rd party unit. :)

If genuine Garrett you could query the supplier as to why the apparent difference and seek a money-back guarantee that it will fit properly... which it most likely will, if OEM?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your car had an early version of the VNT-15. Those are no longer available. The turbo you purchased most likely will need this bracket at the bottom of the turbo to replace the bracket that was on your old turbo. https://www.idparts.com/vnt-turbo-bracket-p-609.html

It'll bolt into the block, but at a different location than the old bracket. I wouldn't do it long term, but it's OK to run the engine without the bracket until you get one, if necessary.

tomdavis

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thank you both!
Another route I could take is to just replace the turbo part of the assembly and continue with the old exhaust manifold. I assume that the despite the little casting differences that the VNT-15 turbos are the same. Is that correct?

Tom

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The exhaust manifold casting also makes up the hot side of the turbo. If you're swapping components out you'd be replacing the center section, or cartridge. Although some people have good luck with that, failure rate on rebuilt variable vane turbos is far higher than new ones. I'd replace the turbo and swap out the bracket.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Your car had an early version of the VNT-15. Those are no longer available.
Good catch!

Thank you both!
Another route I could take is to just replace the turbo part of the assembly
A bit of a crapshoot... as pointed out above... and also worth noting there are no OEM center cartridges available... so again the question of taking a chance on a 3rd party part that spins at 100,000 RPM. Some have reported success... some not so much.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If the cartridge is the same Garrett as the original you could swap them out. Then you are dealing with used and dirty hot side parts, some extra labor there. I have run in to two different drain configurations on alh's also. Would require fitting swaps. I made a bracket for Donna's because none of my spares fit, same issue. Hers ran for quite some time until I noticed it was missing. If I didn't want it right at that moment, $14 wouldn't hurt me for a new mount. If that is a Bosch turbo, cartridge will not fit the Garrett exhaust manifold.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
If you want to void your warranty, remove any screw from the turbo/ manifold. There is a reason they paint screws... SO YOU WILL LEAVE THEM ALONE!

The bracket change out is no big deal. Get the bracket. If your a junkyard dog, there are lots of them. If you have one of the very oldest return lines, it might not fit, but I'd say it's time to upgrade. That return line would be 20 years old.