Just replaced compressor and drier.Did I put too much 134a in?

TDIfarmer

TDI
99 GL
I replaced my compressor and drier on my 99.5 TDI Jetta and pulled a vaccumn and put 2-12oz. full cans and a small amout from a 3rd. can of R134A.I do not have my Bentley in front of me but i think it calls for 26ozs. Did i overcharge?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That sounds just about right, on the beetle at least it took 2 + a tiny bit more. How does it cool?

-Jason

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
It's 24.7 plus or minus 1.8 ounces (or 700 +- 50 grams) from my Bentley for a 2000 Jetta TDI of R-134a. Did you add extra oil? My Bentley (actually its the one for my Mother's 2000 Jetta TDI) calls for 50% of the oil charge to be replaced if the compressor is replaced and that amount is 2.3 ounces. The receiver/drier holds 10% of the distribution of oil, so add to that 0.46 ounces of oil.

--Nate

Last edited:

TDIfarmer

TDI
99 GL
It cools pretty good about 40 degrees on low blower speed here in north Alabama. I drained the oil out of the new compressor it measured at 4oz.poured it back,installed compressor, pulled a deep vacumn,closed guages ,shut pump off it lost about 10" of vacumn over night.I hope i do not have a leak, time will tell.

TDIfarmer

TDI
99 GL
Yeah, it is probably at the top oring in the drier.I had alot of trouble changing it out.Man this thing is hard to work on.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Don't eliminate the possibility that the gauge valves might be leaky, especially if you have an "inexpensive" Chineese manifold gauge set.

--Nate