New UK spec " Golf GT PD 115 TDI"

SteveT

New UK spec \" Golf GT PD 115 TDI\"

I searched for Golf TDI 115 PD and found this interesting web site !

I took delivery of my 5 door Golf GT TDI 115 PD about 3 weeks ago, and so far, I'm impressed. Coming from someone who owned a 2.8 litre VR-6 for 3.5 years, that's saying something. Why did I change ? I got fed up with constant visits to the petrol(gas) stations. I have better things to with my life ! Also wanted to pay less company car tax. Under the new rules, coming into force in the UK in 2002, this will be based on CO-2 emissions, that then are used to determine a percentage of the purchase price that you pay to the Inland Revenue. Note: Replacement for the VR6 is the 4-Motion which is ! £5,000 ! more expensive than the GT TDI here in the UK, and the 115 TDI produces more torque than the mighty 204 BHP V6. Also with the millions of GATSO camera's that now line the roadsides here, having a 146 MPH car is liability for your license(writing from experience here), or even worse, you could end up in prison !

Options ordered;- Metallic paint-Reflex Silver (doesn't show the dust and scratches like my previous gloss black Golf), "Winter pack"(heated washer jets should be useful for driving on the UK's heavily salted roads in winter) Tow-bar(NOT for any caravans ! I have an old 250cc trial bike that needs to go places).

Standard features, for those outside the UK, are:- 6 speed manual gear box(2000 RPM = 71 MPH in top), Remote central locking(1 spare radio key, plus one plastic thing that sets off the alarm if you have to use it), manual air con, "Montreal" alloy wheels, switch-able Traction control,(I don't use it normally, as the orange warning light is a distraction), ABS, single CD player, leather steering wheel + gear knob, small sun visor above mirror(took me a week to find that!), electrically adjustable head lamps, trip computer, Arm rests front and rear, but front one is inconvenient for rapid hand-brake turns (just joking, or ……), Lights above vanity mirrors, girl friend impressed with that one !

All the annoying things on the old Mk III seemed to have been resolved on the Mk IV. There are no sharp corners on the tops of the front doors to rip any more jackets/shirts etc., The rear seats and windows don't rattle. The trip computer is more informative and easier to swap between settings.

I'm averaging 46 MPG, with general driving to work etc, but on the motor-way(free-way, autobahn, etc) then 54 MPG is easy, even at 85-90 MPH

If only it was quieter when starting from cold, it would be perfect !

Steve

Imran

Re: New UK spec \" Golf GT PD 115 TDI\"

Glad to hear your TDI experience is going well.

I'm picking up my GT TDI on Monday..only option i got was the climatronic and pearl paint....however i did get a Caractere bodykit, lowered suspension and 17" wheels....so the car should look and handle great.

Colour i ordered was Indigo Blue.

Average Mpg is good at 54mpg if you are doing 80-90.....which is the speed i normally do to work(up the m8 to edinburgh).

Any things u didn't like about the car? and whens the first service due on the Golf?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

OK. TIME FOR A NEW SECTION!

Suggested name: Envy Zone!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Signed, I can't have one.

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"

"You said this was a DIESEL?!"

sprattyken

Veteran Member
TDI
Volvo V70 D5 Auto

Boys
You will upset our North American friends with talk like that. They can only get 90hp engines over there (something to do with the c**p that comes out the exhaust). Oh yeh, there's no demand either!

They might even ask Fred to shut down this discussion area (joke!)

I've had my GT TDI (110) 5 Dr for 2 weeks now.
No complaints, if I'd had the patience and a clean licence would have hung out for a 115. Never mind, 150bhp 1,9l next year!

Mine's Reflex Silver, 6 CD, Climatronic. Apart from that, stock 2001 GT spec.

Happy driving. BTW most of the forum members have a VERY good idea of the UK/Euro specifications. The're only a click away.

TTFN
Matt

M1KES

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 Golf MkV GT Sport 2.0 TDI 170. Wife's 2016 2.0 TDI 184 PS DSG VW Tiguan Match.

Originally posted by SteveT:
switch-able Traction control,(I don't use it normally, as the orange warning light is a distraction),

From what you say, I think you'll find that you are in fact using it all the time. The orange warning lamp for the traction control is illuminated when TCS is switched off. When the system is switched on, the orange light flashes momentarily when the TCS is activated. See para.13 p.16 of the Controls and Equipment sect. 3.1 of your owner's handbook.

Imran: the first service is at 10,000 miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. Really!

------------------
Slainte mhor
Mike
Commander and Epsilonian Confederation Liaison to Great Britain and the Commonwealth.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

Not that I'm looking to be envious, but could someone list what is available there in the TDI offerings? I think it's cool that they have a "GT" model. Also, how do they badge the different cars?

Does anyone know what changes will be made to the entire line-up with the newer 110hp & 150hp engines?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by tongsli (edited November 04, 2000).]

Chr

Steve,

Good luck with the new PD, I have a Bora SE 115 PD, bought new 1st Sept 00.

I found my car to be noisy on startup also, I originally thought it to be tappets, as did some of the forum members..I also had this tappet noise when loading up the engine in a low gear or up an incline. Turned out to be Piston Slap !!! The dealer wanted to fit a new engine...so I made a big fuss with my local dealer, I certainly didn't wan't a 6 week old car (2000miles) with a new replacement engine...fitted.
The early PD engines were known for this problem, however, my chassis number was the new modified engine type, the dealer was curious as to how my car had this problem also..?
Not my problem, I wanted a replacement new car...

After moaning enough and some good legal advice VW & the dealer are supplying a new car, I'm now waiting until another is sourced, but my car colour, Reflex Silver is hard to geta hold of at present...so hopefully the next PD will be quieter than my first.

Happy Motoring

Chris

------------------

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member

These loquacious Brits are hereby commissiond to give regular reviews of their experience with these wonderful and interesting engines/cars.

Cheers!

SteveT

Originally posted by M1KES:
>From what you say, I think you'll find that >you are in fact using it all the time.

You could be correct about that, it would make more sense. But I still get some wheel-spin(but only under hard acceleralation) with the orange warning light not being displayed.

..and thanks for replying about the service interval. It seems to come as a surprise to most people that TDI's now have a similar service interval to normal petrol engines.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply to my first posting.
SteveT.

SteveT

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tongsli:
>I think it's cool that they have a "GT" >model. Also, how do they badge the >different cars?

Mine does not say GT anywhere on it, but the colours of various letters of the rear "TDI" badge, seems to signify something, possibly!
My car has a chrome "T" and a red "DI".
Now where did I leave my anorak ?

SteveT.

Does anyone know what changes will be made to the entire line-up with the newer 110hp & 150hp engines?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by tongsli (edited November 04, 2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sprattyken

Veteran Member
TDI
Volvo V70 D5 Auto

In the UK you can currently choose from a range of 3 diesel cars.

1.9l SDI (E format)
Basic model, non turbocharged 68 bhp

1.9l TDI (S & SE format)
Better specifications, turbo 90 BHP. Comes with a silver "TDI" badge on the rear.

1.9l TDI (GT TDI format)
Sports model. Eg alloys, colour coded exterior, sports seats, leather wheel & shift, etc etc.

VW are phasing out production/delivery of the 110 BHP engine, which I have just bought. This has been replaced by the PD 115 BHP unit. Although only 5 horses more, has around 20% more torque.
The other differences between the "old" GT and the new are:
Interior........nothing
Mechanical......PD has 6 speed manual box, ASR traction control with switch
Exterior.........110 has a red "I" on its TDI badge, 115 has a red "DI". Apart from this they are identical (you know that WE will notice this difference).

BTW the 1.9l 150 BHP PD unit which is coming to the UK at the end of 2001 (maybe), comes with an ALL RED TDI badge! Wowsa!!!!!!!

If my wife found out I knew all this she would probably leave me in disgust. She would have a valid reason.
Hope this clarifies a few things for the other anoraks out there.

Matt
ps for the precise details of specifications go to www.vw.co.uk

Paris4M115-6

Originally posted by tongsli:
I think it's cool that they have a "GT" model. Also, how do they badge the different cars?

Tongsli (& SteveT)

If you really want a Golf GTi TDi PD then you need to come over to France, where such a model exists (complete with the GTi badge on its rump!). It has exactly the same spec as the GTi Turbo in the UK (the normally aspirated 115bhp petrol "GTi" is not available here), including the blackwood inserts, the Montreal II alloys, the Recaros, the green windscreen top band and the lowered suspension.

Oh and the new GTi TDi PD150 costs quite a bit less than the stock GT TDi PD115 in the UK...... £15,400 including french VAT @ 19.6% (taking £1:10.50FF).

Matt

chopchop

Top Post Dawg

I understand that the 90 bhp TDi in the UK & probably in Europe is also being superseded by a 98 or 100 bhp version soon - this has been rumoured for some time. This version is said to have more torque than the outgoing 110bhp version. No doubt someone will know more on this subject than me.....

Paris4M115-6

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard P:
I understand that the 90 bhp TDi in the UK & probably in Europe is also being superseded by a 98 or 100 bhp version soon - this has been rumoured for some time. This version is said to have more torque than the outgoing 110bhp version. B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard

The TDi100 has indeed replaced the TDi90 and uses the same pump-düse / injecteurs-pompes / pump injectors technology as the TDi115 in France, and therefore presumably in other European contries on the continent.

It develops 240Nm (176 lb/ft) at 1,800rpm, as opposed to 235Nm (173 lb/ft) at 1,900rpm for the TDi110.

Matt