Breaking It In

YBZ

TDI
2002 Jetta
My 2002 Jetta GLS TDI is now 5 days old and my first question is: When driving around the city, is 2000-2200 RPM's to high to keep it at? I have the 5 speed manual and 3rd gear seems to be ideal for city streets. (50-60km/hr)

2nd Question: The dealer says I don't have the Monsoon stereo system, but according to the owners manual I do. Does the Monsoon stereo have this actually written on the faceplate somewhere?
It has the cd & cassette units with 8 speakers.

3rd Question: When I fill it up with diesel for "my" first time (the dealership gave me 3/4 of a tank when I picked it up) do I have to push in that black button in the filler neck?

1st Comment: The cupholder placement above the stereo. Hmmm.

4th Question: (For Canadians) I've always filled up my vehicles at a Husky Truckstop Station. I'm hoping I can continue to buy my diesel there. They're always busy so I'm guessing the diesel fuel there will always be fairly new. I'd like to avoid the brand name gas stations like Petro, Esso, Shell, etc.

TDI
n/a
First of all, congratulations on your purchase. My 2002 Golf GLS TDI is only 9 days old.

I can't really answer your RPMs question because I'm one of those slope-headed automatic transmission people, but in city driving I often find myself around 2000 to 2200 rpms once I've gotten up some speed. I certainly don't think that's revving the engine too high. I wouldn't even start to be concerned until the rpms get over 3000. But other folks here know way more about this sort of thing than I do.

I don't think there is a "plain" CD and cassette stereo in the North American market, so my guess is that you have the Monsoon. The real test, though, is just to power-cycle the stereo. Just push the volume knob to toggle the power. When it first turns on it will say "MONSOON" on the LCD display.

The black button inside the fuel filler neck is the vent valve. You don't have to press it. The owner's manual and the TDIFAQ on this site talk about it quite a bit. Search for the phrase "burp air instead of fuel".

Regarding the cupholder placement. Yes, I find that annoying as well, since it's impossible to change CDs if you have drinks in it. This is about the only thing that annoys me about my car. To be fair, though, I can't think of many better places to put it. Lower down might interfere with the gear shift lever and that would be really bad.

I'm not Canadian, though I visited Toronto earlier in the month.
Apparently up in Canada you can get some pretty good premium fuel without having to search high and low. What grade of fuel you use is up to you, but there are some definite advocates of premium diesel on these forums, not to mention biodiesel ("BD").

Again, welcome, and enjoy your new car.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
1. The engine speeds you're running are fine. The biggest consideration, IMHO, is for the first 2,000 km or so, don't floor it and avoid running at the exact same rpm for long periods of time. You especially don't want to try to accelerate hard while the engine is below 1500 rpm.

2. Check the original sales sticker.

I can't say anything about the rest any better than Branden already has.

olive

TDI
2k6 NB TDI Shadow Blue
Originally posted by plls5:

2nd Question: The dealer says I don't have the Monsoon stereo system, but according to the owners manual I do. Does the Monsoon stereo have this actually written on the faceplate somewhere?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you have 8 speakers... I'd bet Monsoon. Mine has "monsoon" on the cassette flap. As previously posted, it should display "monsoon" upon start up.

For the cupholders...I love my Beetle but couldn't live with the drink holder; it's under the dash console. It's even worse than the Golf. The first accessory I purchased was a side mounted holder (www.drinkholders.com or TVA). It attaches between the window switch and the trunk/fuel release. There is an armrest mounted one as well.

Chmeeee

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I tried to keep it generally below 2500, definitely below 3000 when I broke mine in, I wouldnt worry about 2200 at all.

Like xeres said, check the display when you turn on the car/stereo, it will say Monsoon. I think the base stereo now has the CD/cassette, but I am not sure.

That black button allows you to "vent" your tank, basically allowing you an extra 2 gallons of fuel. Its not necessary, but how can you turn down and extra 80-100 miles per tank?

I have gotten used to the cupholder placement, because while it is irritating when you want to change a CD or read the display, it is in a perfect place to easily grab your drink.

And nice member number xeres. 9999!

diesel duo

All Jettas have 8 speakers. All GLS models come with CD players.The Monsoon is the VW stereo upgrade.

Go to www.vw.com to the accessory section and order the cup holder that fits into the armrest between the front seats. It costs about 15 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While I think the power cycle test mentioned above is the best way, here's another thing to check:

Open trunk, insert head (
)

Look at the underside of that ledge behind the rear headrests, over on the passenger side. If you have Monsoon, you should have an amplifier in that location.

Welcome aboard!!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
My 2002 Jetta GLS TDI is now 5 days old and my first question is: When driving around the city, is 2000-2200 RPM's to high to keep it at? I have the 5 speed manual and 3rd gear seems to be ideal for city streets. (50-60km/hr)

3rd Question: When I fill it up with diesel for "my" first time (the dealership gave me 3/4 of a tank when I picked it up) do I have to push in that black button in the filler neck?

4th Question: (For Canadians) I've always filled up my vehicles at a Husky Truckstop Station. I'm hoping I can continue to buy my diesel there. They're always busy so I'm guessing the diesel fuel there will always be fairly new. I'd like to avoid the brand name gas stations like Petro, Esso, Shell, etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1 questions - as a general rule, vary speeds (do not stay at 55mph for extended periods) for the first 500 miles and try to stay away from red line. after 500 miles, go for it
. i have been told by plenty of VW people that every VW engine is run at redline when coming off of the assembly line. i do not know if this is true or not, but if it is not, it is a well known rumor

2nd question - do like Rob says, look under the rear ledge. if there is an amp there, it is a Monsoon. of course, the sales sticker is a good place to look too

3rd questions - the black button is a "cheat mod" to get more fuel into the tank. you can do this on a diesel but not suggested for a gasser (too much expansion. i personally can get 2 more gallons in there

4th and final questions - the best thing to do, if you do not know what fuel your getting, is to go to a well used truck stop. you can ask the attendent what the cetane rating is but mostly you will get a puzzled look in return. other then that, there has to be someone in on this forum that knows. i would suggest placing this question in the "fuels and lubricants" section and stress CANADA in the title. also, run additive with each tank and this will help as well.

Darron65

TDI
99 Golf 2dr, Indigo Blue
Congrats on the new ride, TDICAN. Did Joe at Southgate VW sell it to you? It's his fault I own one now, albeit 6 yrs after the test drive.

TDICAN

Originally posted by Darron65:
Congrats on the new ride, TDICAN. Did Joe at Southgate VW sell it to you? It's his fault I own one now, albeit 6 yrs after the test drive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks! No I dealt with a new guy named Nick who wasn't that experienced, but great to deal with. I'm wondering why I wasn't driving a VW earlier. Hopefully that feeling stays