Raleigh to Asheville, NC

Jetta18T

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hi all,

I've been in the looking in the background here for awhile, and am proud to be a newly converted 2010 TDI owner as of last week (Jetta Sedan, 6 Spd, Candy white, black interior...I'll get pictures up soon!)

I'll be taking my first road trip next weekend from Raleigh, NC to Asheville, NC. I should be able to post mileage when I get back. Anybody recommend taking a trip on the Blue Ridge Pkwy while I'm out there? I've heard good things.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
The BRP is awesome IMO, driven the NC sections many many times, driven the whole length twice (Cherokee NC to Shenandoah VA) on motorcyle. Keep in mind the max speed is 45mph (35 in some places), it is Federal jurisdiction so if you get caught speeding the fines are very high and can even land you in jail if too excessive or considered reckless. The roads are very serpentine (i.e. fun twisty's) so the distances can be a little deceiving when viewing/planning on a map (i.e. much longer travel time than you think), you also will run into a lot of traffic during leaf season (personally I avoid the parkway during this time, although it is gorgeous at peak color).

Jetta18T

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks, appreciate the update! I was planning on taking a cruise on this while I'm out there. Hopefully it is just as amazing as everybody makes it out to be.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have lived in Asheville all my life. The BRP is absolutely amazing. Right thru town there is what they call the commuter stretch which can link different major highways in Asheville. I use it frequently to get from one part of town to another as an alternative to the highway. Very beautiful, but as said above, you can't be in a hurry and watch out for rubber neckers and bicycles. I have rounded a bend many times and about run all over a group of cyclists..

As far as fuel mileage, you will get slightly better mileage on the way back generally as you will be climbing coming into Asheville and going more down hill on the way back. When you are almost there (on I-40 that is) you will hit Old Fort Mountain. Lots of fun in a TDI. Several miles and fun with the diesel torque, but bad for fuel economy...

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Take the BRP and enjoy the drive. Just watch out for folks on bikes. It's a really popular place for people to ride, just make sure you share the road. North of AVL will take you to Craggy Mnt, then on to Mt Mitchell, south is pretty and will take you into some beautifully views also.