Best-flowing 16V CR TDI head castings available in NA

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Just want to open up this discussion to anyone who've actually taken the time and effort to compare the castings of the 4-cylinder CR heads. I am most interested in engine codes available in North America, but substantive and/or quantitative comparisons -- not, "My gut feeling tells me..." -- to home market European engines and other TDIs (eg. flow bench numbers comparing 8V IDI, VE TDI, PD TDI, 16V BKD, etc.) are welcome to advance the knowledge base.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The passat ones are better than golf jetta. But that much is obvious.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I believe CKRA is one of the Passat engine codes.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
VW increments engine codes alphabetically. There must be a CRAP somewhere. The last code I'm aware of is CUNA (184 HP CR TDI), which reminds me of something else...... :D :D

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
VW increments engine codes alphabetically. There must be a CRAP somewhere. The last code I'm aware of is CUNA (184 HP CR TDI), which reminds me of something else...... :D :D
I had been thinking for a while how different the CRUA head in the CR150 could be compared to the CUAA as they are both in the EA288 family. I'm no expert on part numbers, but I had looked up some components (cylinder heads being one) for both the CRUA and CUAA to compare and they shared the same last six digits on several items. The first three digits were different, but from what I read those digits refer to platform and/or country of origin?

Did the CKRA have the rotated valve star found in the CRUA? I wonder how that effects flow or if it was solely intended for emissions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thought this may help for the purpose of info gathering:

CJAA bare cylinder head part number:

03L-103-351-J

Which is also the same for CBAA, CBAB, CBBA, and CBBB engines (so lots of DOHC CR 2.0L applications, Tiguan, Eos, all kinds of stuff).

CKRA bare cylinder head part number:

03L-103-351-M

This appears nowhere else in ETKA, it is CKRA-only.

Then there are some other engines that use:

03L-103-351-F

And these are engine codes CLCA, CFFA, CFFB, and CFGB

Out (in HP) of these [non-US] engines:

CBAA 136
CBAB 140
CBBA 163
CBBB 140
CLCA 110
CFFA 136
CFFB 140
CFGB 170

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The CUAA is unique in many ways. The cylinder head is only one. IN terms of stateside engines, the CKRA is the better early engine. If we could get the CUAA...then that would be the best for the EA288 series.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
How do you intend to bolt it on the old versions engine block?
CUNA cyl head cant be fitted on the previous engine block from what i see.

What can be done is remove all that material on the pre 2015 heads and make it similar to this intake to have a better flow on intake side. Exhaust ports are also larger.