'03 versus '14 key fob compatibility question

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
My new '03 ALH wagon project came with both original fobs with the correct original cut keys. The led flashes when you press the unlock or lock button, but no response from the car. Also, the fobs are BADLY worn and shabby.

Both keys work fine in the driver door... not only lock or unlock all four doors at once, but also all four windows go down or go up when you hold it in unlock, or lock position for ~ 6 seconds. So the locking mechanisms are working. It's a communication issue.

But...

I have two other fobs from a 2014 with the wrong keys (of course). I am wondering if I can put the correct keys on the much newer fobs from the '14, then program the new fobs to work with the '03 comfort module/receiver.

The fundamental question is whether the '14 fobs can communicate with the '03 receiver ?? I think they changed frequencies in 2010, so maybe not compatible?

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
alternative solution

If that can't work, maybe buy a couple of aftermarket '03 compatible fobs and swap the correct keys to the fob transceivers?

Can I program the new fob transceivers without going to the VW dealership??

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The fobs for different years and models have a different frequency. The frequency numbers are printed on the fob. I used to have spreadsheet I built showing the frequencies matched to VW part number, but that computer died and it with it.

If you have two keys you can encode your existing fobs. The procedure will be on the internet if not on your owners manual. Goes something like this from my memory: Put one key in the ignition and turn it on, within 30 seconds lock and unlock the drivers door with the other key. The alarm horn will honk ( I think) then you push a button on the fob you want to encode and the alarm horn will honk acknowledgement.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Get new keys/fobs from "deautokey" I got the last day for 15% off and ordered 3 oval key fobs complete with a blank key for $60 shipped minus 15%. What a deal.

You can reprogram the unlock by using the ignition key and using the door lock key at the same time, to program the immobilizer, you need vag tacho and VCDS.