Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I completed step 15 back on May 1st, had 2 rejections for the documents, called in once, that took me No-where, so I never bothered calling in again, today (May 26) I received my offer, processed it and received an email to schedule an appointment, I took the first available June 20th, my offer was $100 or so higher than stated earlier in the process..
When all said and done, I actually come up approx. $8.4K in the black.

aciduzzu

TDI
Anyone with an denied offer letter due to Rice's mistake receive a new offer yet?
Mine was denied because they made a mistake with the mileage in the letter. Been calling them almost daily for updates/escalations/etc. but have had the same response since May 11th about them drafting me a new offer.
Same here, 3 weeks since I submitted the documents and more than 2 weeks with green checkmarks. I talked to at least 5 CSRs, did not seem to make a difference. They made a mistake with the mileage and are working to fix it. Did you manage to talk to a manager? Every time when I ask for one, they either say that there is no manager available or they simply change the subject (once I was told that the manager will call me back - never happened, though)

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
transaction complete, the dealer actually ended up lowering the price of the warranty to help compensate for the tax credit loss. Apparently they had already discounted the starting price of the warranty so they decided to take it when offered the additional discount.
Perhaps they would have lowered the warranty price anyway if they would have stood their ground even if ricepoint wouldn't have messed up, who knows.
Either way, they are happy to be in their new car and for this to be over. Now if I could only have my turn, 21 days stuck on green checkmarks, submitted on the same day as my parents.
That's not bad. Good for them if they're happy with the new car and can move on.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
After a two week wait I received my offer today, but wait, it's $1,300 LESS than the online calculator amount!!!

They're going to have to pony up the difference or I'll probably walk away from the new VW I have on deposit, and go for the fix instead. A few hundred changeovers like this ought to get dealer attention....imagine them not being able to sell any new cars because folks were just fed up with this entire nonsense.

This is a farcical process, Ricepudding bites.

Last edited:

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Same here, 3 weeks since I submitted the documents and more than 2 weeks with green checkmarks. I talked to at least 5 CSRs, did not seem to make a difference. They made a mistake with the mileage and are working to fix it. Did you manage to talk to a manager? Every time when I ask for one, they either say that there is no manager available or they simply change the subject (once I was told that the manager will call me back - never happened, though)
Talked to several supervisors, nothing came of it. Now they won't even let me talk to them and say that they will schedule a call back within 3 - 5 business days. I'm beyond frustrated because the excuses are always something else. I don't even know who to complain to. Found several Ricepoint executives on Linkedin, thinking about reaching out to them. Figured if the executives are getting bombarded by us claimants, maybe they'll influence the process somehow.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
If VW was being honest with themselves and their customers they would offer greater incentive to the Buyback with Trade option. They are in the exclusive business of making and selling new cars, how can this not be their sweetspot?

I don't get why this option is being treated with apparent derision by not declaring a motivating incentive to trade up. Thus far I haven't heard of anyone getting the warm fuzzies from engaging this choice.

Call me dense, it just doesn't make any sense to me, at all.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
From my "published offer" that I signed off on to my "final offer" that I received after I selected my appointment date and they follow up called me, the amount VW will pay you amount increased by $530. I assume this has to do with the real market value and some tighter mileage #s given. The other numbers changed slightly (around 50-80 bucks or so) but they influenced the bottom line in my favour.

And actually you don't receive any email notification that this number changed. When I logged into the portal, there was an update posted on the last page showing the revised amounts.

I reset my trip to zero to make sure I didn't creep up on that 2000 km mileage allowance. No extra trips as I will be very close to the limit before my appt on the 9th.

Last edited:

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
If VW was being honest with themselves and their customers they would offer greater incentive to the Buyback with Trade option. They are in the exclusive business of making and selling new cars, how can this not be their sweetspot?

I don't get why this option is being treated with apparent derision by not declaring a motivating incentive to trade up. Thus far I haven't heard of anyone getting the warm fuzzies from engaging this choice.

Call me dense, it just doesn't make any sense to me, at all.
I think they want to reinforce the point that no special treatment is being given to retuning customers. Hence why the stories we've heard of trade-ins, no sales rep is hounding people after they retune their cars. Seems like the best way to avoid another PR nightmare where they give special treatment to customers who buy another vehicle from them.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I think they want to reinforce the point that no special treatment is being given to retuning customers. Hence why the stories we've heard of trade-ins, no sales rep is hounding people after they retune their cars. Seems like the best way to avoid another PR nightmare where they give special treatment to customers who buy another vehicle from them.
I think it's their arrogant corporate culture rearing its ugly face again.

But, yeah, I've been "retuned".

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
When you're already in a PR nightmare do the right things.........Spock could easily chime in here.

There are always two sides to a story and to be fair most of us haven't been through the entire process in order to make valid comments on the conclusion. I was a bit surprised however to receive an offer $1,300 lower than the online calculator. I don't like the fact you can't go back in and review everything you've done from the start just to double check etc.

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
Just got an email ...

"For Volkswagen to process your claim, we need additional information. Please submit the following document by mailing it to the address or number listed below.

Financial Consent

Mailing Address: Volkswagen Class Action Administration, P.O. Box 7071, 31 Adelaide Street East, Toronto ,Ontario M5C 3H2

Called RP, rep sent me the document to be completed. And "snail mailed" to TO.
I wonder why this is needed; I purchased the car cash, no loan or lease. Hopefully this isn't another screw-up!!
Sure is taxing my patience!!

Jordalenko

TDI
14' Jetta
This saga ended for me about a year ago when my circumstances changed and I needed both of my vehicles to have automatic transmissions. In the time between, spent here and at VW dealerships and now with Ricepoint, I have lost the desire to ever own a VW again.

But as these last few weeks wind down I find it quite sad. The first car I ever bought new, one I still look at as the best car for me, a MKVI Jetta comfortline MT, has turned into an epic frustration and expense. Easily made into a TDR. No fancy bells and whistles. Just a good driving car that could be tuned to a good sports car. Now just a headache.

I also felt like the people who owned these cars were my kind of tribe if you will.

Now I push my wife's patience trying to convince her to let me buy a 128i sport mt for weekend fun. Never gonna happen. And that is less my tribe and likely comes with the love-hate of owning a BMW.

Sad...

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Sorry it took so long to report back. The whole process took probably twenty minutes. They looked at the vin, odometer took the keys and I signed a few pieces of paper and that's it. Seems and quick. Hell the money is in my account already too. Deposited the check and the bank manager removed the hold for me.

northofnine

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta Highline
Sorry it took so long to report back. The whole process took probably twenty minutes. They looked at the vin, odometer took the keys and I signed a few pieces of paper and that's it. Seems and quick. Hell the money is in my account already too. Deposited the check and the bank manager removed the hold for me.

Great news!! What wheels did you return it with??

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Factory 17's. Thought about putting the snow tires on, but was too​ lazy to do so. Even had executive parking.

Last edited:

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Thanks for sharing. Nice to see that everything went so well and smooth.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
I have a province-specific question. Just wondering if one needs to inform Service Ontario about the transfer of ownership once the buyback is complete (I assume new owner is VW Canada?).

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I have a province-specific question. Just wondering if one needs to inform Service Ontario about the transfer of ownership once the buyback is complete (I assume new owner is VW Canada?).
Excellent question and point Uchu...I'm assuming you will keep the plate portion of the ownership and take your plates with you if you sell the car back to them., then you'll be able to use the plates on your next vehicle not having to buy new plates if they're in good shape. Another point I would like to bring up is if you have a 407 ETR Transponder registered to those plates ; might be a good idea you no longer have that vehicle. Just my $0.02

daveyboy1357

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Registered on April 29th, got the lights about a week later. Things went smoothly and got final approval after submitting docs and selected today as buyback. Put the 8 year old winter tires on (with the fancy plastic hubcaps). 14 minutes this afternoon and cheque is in the bank. There is hope!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Just got an email ...

"For Volkswagen to process your claim, we need additional information. Please submit the following document by mailing it to the address or number listed below.

Financial Consent

Mailing Address: Volkswagen Class Action Administration, P.O. Box 7071, 31 Adelaide Street East, Toronto ,Ontario M5C 3H2

Called RP, rep sent me the document to be completed. And "snail mailed" to TO.
I wonder why this is needed; I purchased the car cash, no loan or lease. Hopefully this isn't another screw-up!!
Sure is taxing my patience!!
At what point in the process was this? Before, or after the offer? We submitted our signed offer a week ago and are still waiting for the document to be validated. We also paid cash for the car, no loans. We're doing a trade in. Frustrating, because our new wagon has been at the dealer for over a week, we ordered it in January. Yet some folks here submit their signed offer and get their appointment a day later.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Excellent question and point Uchu...I'm assuming you will keep the plate portion of the ownership and take your plates with you if you sell the car back to them., then you'll be able to use the plates on your next vehicle not having to buy new plates if they're in good shape. Another point I would like to bring up is if you have a 407 ETR Transponder registered to those plates ; might be a good idea you no longer have that vehicle. Just my $0.02
the buyer is responsible for the transfer, and 407 transponder stays with the plates and is updated automatically when you register a different car for the plates. a couple of days ago I logged in to make the change only to find out it was already done for me.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
transaction complete, the dealer actually ended up lowering the price of the warranty to help compensate for the tax credit loss. Apparently they had already discounted the starting price of the warranty so they decided to take it when offered the additional discount.
Perhaps they would have lowered the warranty price anyway if they would have stood their ground even if ricepoint wouldn't have messed up, who knows.
Either way, they are happy to be in their new car and for this to be over. Now if I could only have my turn, 21 days stuck on green checkmarks, submitted on the same day as my parents.
So no issues at all with the body damage? No having to produce a police or insurance report?

That's good to know.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
the buyer is responsible for the transfer, and 407 transponder stays with the plates and is updated automatically when you register a different car for the plates. a couple of days ago I logged in to make the change only to find out it was already done for me.
Thanks for the clarification..

GSW

TDI
GSW
Hi all,

I got my offer today, but it's $1,150 lower than what was provided in the CBB value estimator when I checked it a couple of weeks ago ...

Is anyone else's value different? if so, are you accepting the offer or can we appeal/argue this amount?

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
In NS, until the DMV gets notice that you have sold the car, it is yours,, if someone buys a car from you, make 2 bill of sales. up and keep one,, My friend wheelz n dealz, and the inspector said if someone buys your car and goes on a joyride etc, they look at who it is presently registered to,, if you dont have a bill of sale and didnt have the lower section send in,, you are wearing any damages..