want to buy vagcom

stcspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat
So i interested in buying vagcom from ross tech my question is what can vag do. What one do i buy? Lols like there 6 or so 250 1100 or so jw what one do i go with?

Can vag do more then say snap-on souls pro or otc Genesis

flyfishsick

TDI
---
i just bought a ross-tech for my 2013 Golf. i remember seeing a list of a bunch of tips and tricks it can do BUT CAN NOT FIND IT NOW!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Get the HEX+CAN usb. You can use it on many different cars. $350 i think. If you use it once its paid for.

flyfishsick

TDI
---
i thought that ross-tech is on good for VW and Audi? and the HEX+CAN on give you support to older cars???

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
i thought that ross-tech is on good for VW and Audi? and the HEX+CAN on give you support to older cars???
VCDS is designed for VW group cars, VW Audi, Skoda, SEAT, etc. It also has a generic ODBII mode that works on most newer cars, but it is at its best for VW products.
As for which one to buy:
The MicroCAN interface only works with VWs from 2005.5 and newer.
The KII-USB interface only works on older VWs (pre 2005.5)
The HEX+CAN interface work with both types of VW products (anything from the 1980s to the newest).

The MicroCAN and the KII-USB cables are $250 and the HEX+CAN cable is $350. The "professional" versions are not necessary for most users - these are intended for shops and they usually include multiple interface cables.

Have Fun!

Don

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
What it can do.

So i interested in buying vagcom from ross tech my question is what can vag do.
Now that your question of what one should I get is answered here is the what to do part.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=395260

But basically it will allow you to set your computer to options you would like if the dealer did not do them for your.

up/down windows/sunroof with key fob if supported
number of blinks for your blinker if supported
turn on/off needle sweep if supported.
enabling/disabling a lot of different options as noted in the link above.
Also other forums (vw/audi gas forums as well as ross tech wiki pages) have a lot of items listed.
One example is that I turned on rain sensing wipers on my 2012 SE passat because it came with the hardware but disabled because it was NOT an SEL.
Lots and lots of stuff mostly related to ECU and module parameter manipulation the dealer could do for you but refuse.
Then it also does the generic code reading and clearing any $25 code reader does.

Ron

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
If it's any help we sell about 60% HEX-Can's to 20% KII and 20% Micro.
All you need with the '01 is the KII-USB. However, if you ever get a 2006ish or newer car you'll want to have the HEX-Can.
Cheers,
-BB

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
For the '01 you can consider a VCDS lite interface as well. Some of our customers opt for that version because it is significantly less expensive, but perfectly adequate for basic stuff like setting timing and IQ. (only works for the older cars though)

That version of VCDS is shareware and you can use a less expensive interface. Just make sure you download the software from the ross-tech website and don't ever buy any cable that comes with one of those little CD's. Only download the software from ross-tech!! The activated shareware version of the software ($99 from ross-tech) does everything you want for your '01.

But if you have a 2004 or newer TDI, you will need a full "smart" interface version. Hex+can recommended.

There 's a function comparison chart on the ross-tech website.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Mike_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
For the '01 you can consider a VCDS lite interface as well. Some of our customers opt for that version because it is significantly less expensive, but perfectly adequate for basic stuff like setting timing and IQ. (only works for the older cars though)

That version of VCDS is shareware and you can use a less expensive interface. Just make sure you download the software from the ross-tech website and don't ever buy any cable that comes with one of those little CD's. Only download the software from ross-tech!! The activated shareware version of the software ($99 from ross-tech) does everything you want for your '01.

But if you have a 2004 or newer TDI, you will need a full "smart" interface version. Hex+can recommended.

There 's a function comparison chart on the ross-tech website.
I am looking to get a vagcom for only my 2003 as well for personal use. I don't want to be limited at all by the lite on what I can do, but don't want to spend the extra money on the KII-USB if the lite does everything that can be done on this car.

What interface is recommended to go along with it? Is there an interface that can be used for flashing as well?

Last edited:

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
I am looking to get a vagcom for only my 2003 as well for personal use. I don't want to be limited at all by the lite on what I can do, but don't want to spend the extra money on the KII-USB if the lite does everything that can be done on this car.

What interface is recommended to go along with it? Is there an interface that can be used for flashing as well?

That chart shows VCDS-Lite vs VCDS. Also keep in mind that if you register VCDS-Lite, it is locked down to the computer you register it to. If you purchase the KII-USB, the VCDS software is not locked down to a single computer. If you have further questions, call up our sales department:

http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.php

If you get Santos, see what he is being blamed for today. ;)

Mike_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I might just call to see what this Santos fellow is up to, ha ha. Thanks for your help.