VW launches two concept Touaregs

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
VW launches two concept Touaregs

"Volkswagen officials yesterday launched two concept SUVs - the Race Touareg 3 Qatar, a street legal version of the Dakar rally race car, and the Touareg Gold Edition, which includes a number of 24 carat gold features on the vehicle’s interior and exterior."

If you have a sheikh's wealth, you can have one or both. LOL.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
While a Touareg TDI is a nice truck, at $45k to start it's not cheap. Regardless of what VWoA's marketing whiz kids say, I think a $30k Tiguan TDI would reach a much bigger market and be the first CUV to offer near 40mpg highway economy.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Main reason we went with the CR-V over the Tiguan was the rear storage and only used regular versus permium. Seems like the CR-V had twice the storage. Now if they had offered a TDI, then there would have been no choice.

fatman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (maual), 2010 Golf TDI Wagon (manual)
I guess I can try to understand the idea behind concept cars in that they need to look at the future of vehicles but come on, adding gold to the exterior and interior of a car is not a concept idea. Lets have car companies actually start working for the average guy. I just want a vehicle that is extremely economical, low maintenance, and inexpensive to buy.

g-man

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI...to JL2011. Now in a minivan(No choice).
... Lets have car companies actually start working for the average guy. I just want a vehicle that is extremely economical, low maintenance, and inexpensive to buy.
...I'll second that!

How about a (real)VW TDI Minivan with AWD - starting at under $30k. Now that would be something that would be useful and fly out of the showrooms! Hey VW, Think what the avg person needs and bring it!

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Hey, how about a V10 tdi Touareg loaded up for about $75K? Oh wait, VW already tried that and it was a world class flop. I thought VW already got this high end Touareg and Phaeton nonsense out of their system once. Let's not suffer through a replay. I go to Mexico and see any number of great VW models that are not available in the US including vans, light trucks, small SUVs, and high mileage small sedans. What about going to work on a few of those for the US market!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Main reason we went with the CR-V over the Tiguan was the rear storage and only used regular versus permium. Seems like the CR-V had twice the storage. Now if they had offered a TDI, then there would have been no choice.

6 cyl TDI Tiguan with AWD. That's the ticket.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
6 cyl TDI Tiguan with AWD. That's the ticket.
I would settle for dropping the current 2.0 TDI into the Tiguan. Living in NC, I really don't have much need for the AWD.

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Also these gold editions are catered to the middle eastern clients who have different opinions on cars and what not. I do not think the US will be seeing gold edition anythings from VW anytime soon.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wonder if the gold edition also comes with bullet proof glass and impact absorbing door panels? How about run flats?

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
Hey, how about a V10 tdi Touareg loaded up for about $75K? Oh wait, VW already tried that and it was a world class flop. I thought VW already got this high end Touareg and Phaeton nonsense out of their system once. Let's not suffer through a replay. I go to Mexico and see any number of great VW models that are not available in the US including vans, light trucks, small SUVs, and high mileage small sedans. What about going to work on a few of those for the US market!
Actually, the Phaeton didn't too bad at all in the ROW, so I wouldn't call it a world class flop at all. The world doesn't revolve around the once upon a time USA perspective mindset. An excellent example to illustrate this extremity is to now use the Chinese perspective on VW line up of today. Do they still sell the Phaeton, even a face-lifted one today? Yes they do. ;)

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
While a Touareg TDI is a nice truck, at $45k to start it's not cheap. Regardless of what VWoA's marketing whiz kids say, I think a $30k Tiguan TDI would reach a much bigger market and be the first CUV to offer near 40mpg highway economy.
+1
Even though dorky looking, and perhaps even over priced in present guise, there is still something quite appealing about the Tiguan. It's not VW's ROW sales smasher for nothing ;)! That said, my next "dream daily driver from VW" would in fact be a Tiguan with TDI and 4-Motion. The 4 cylinder 2.0L TDI as found in the Jetta would suit me fine. Oh yes, give me a Sienna interior too please :cool:.

Back to my dorky comment, I find that the facelifted version that will be coming out very soon, seems to have addressed that styling issue with nicer looking headlights, and rear LED lights. I might actually take the plunge this time around, and trade in my B5.5 Passat TDI for one, if VW decides to make this one right that is.