Buy a used 2009 Jetta or a new 2010 Jetta TDI?

winston

TDI
currently none
After many years of not having a TDI, I've decided to get a Jetta TDI. I've located several used 2009's locally. They have 16k to 22 k miles on them. I also have found about a dozen new 2010"s at 1.9% interest. Decisions...decisions.... What would you do?

The closest 2009 at at dealer,, is selling for 22999, with 17,000 miles on it. The dealer has the exact same 2010 for 28400. The used has an extra 2yr warranty for a total of 5yrs., but maintenance will only be what's left of the 3yrs or 36.000 miles. What is the depreciation on a new, when you drive it off the lot?

Last edited:

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
I would consider new 2010's... with a manual trans.

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
My suggestion is to buy new. You get the 'free' 3 yr/36k mile maintenance plan, and warranty for the same period.

If the bottom line is the only thing that matters, purchasing used is the only way to go.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
To me the free maintenance at the dealer would be a deterrent, not an incentive. I'd go used with a standard transmission, and stay away from the dealer. You might have a look at the forums that cover the CR engines and find out about the problems some of the high pressure injection pumps have had. There was also an annoying exhaust/emissions problem with a CEL; that may have been on some 09s.

Before you buy any TDI, find a diesel mechanic that you can trust. These are pretty specialized cars and the dealers mostly have a horrible reputation with them. You're going to love driving it, but you'll need a good place for maintenance.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
After many years of not having a TDI, I've decided to get a Jetta TDI. I've located several used 2009's locally. They have 16k to 22 k miles on them. I also have found about a dozen new 2010"s at 1.9% interest. Decisions...decisions.... What would you do?
I can't (or won't) tell you what to do. But, buying new gives you the tax credit ($650 , I think). The other advantage of buying new is that you know the service history. There have been so many stories about dealer service using the wrong oil or too much oil, I might be wary of how a used TDI has been serviced. However, the advantage of buying used is that you save much of the normal depreciation that occurs when you first drive off the lot. If the prices are close to each other and/or financing is better the 2010 might be a good choice.

Have Fun!

Don

2Goldens

TDI
2009 White Jetta TDI
I picked up a used 2009 with 23,000 and saved around $5,000 over new and got a 2.9 interest rate. Also it has an additional 2 year 24,000 mile warranty that I didn't have to pay for.

New is nice but I wanted to stay in my budget so I got used. I don't have any problems with my Jetta.