How to Remove Front Headrests MKIII

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Silver
I have searched this forum and found general vagaries about removing the headrests on a MKIII, but not a definitive answer.

So, how do I remove the front headrests?

The top of the seat has a square plastic collar where the headrest rods slide into. These collars have a slot that run lengthwise to the car.

Supposedly there is a clip in there that holds the headrest in but I don't see a clip nor can I see how you could remove a clip if there is one.

Please, any advise? I am trying to put seat covers on.

Thanks!

Dean

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Silver
Success! Headrests Removed!

Well, I managed to get the headrests off. At the base of the headrest is a plastic flange that the posts go down into the seatback. There are slots on both side which cover a bobby pin looking clip.

Use a wide, flat-head screwdriver and from one side or the other, push the clip out. Mine pushed out from the driver's side to the passenger's side.

With the clips out, the headrests simply pull straight up.

Hope this helps someone else who might be faced with the same challenge.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Hope this helps someone else who might be faced with the same challenge.
Thanks, Dean! This helped me today; I really appreciate you following up with your solution.

So I like to "leave my campsite in better condition than I found it", so I'll add some photos to make it even easier for the next guy.

Here are the clips:

Here are the clips relative to the headrest rods and the clip bezels:

Here are the notches on the front of the headrest rods that the clips engage with:

A few observations:

• The notches are ONLY on the front of the headrest rods, so the straight side of the clips should be in front to engage the notches.
  • I couldn't get a screwdriver to work, so I used an allen wrench just small enough to fit into the bezel slot. I found I could "hit the target" easier that way.
  • I found best success using the front (straight) side of the clip to drive it out, rather than the curved side.
  • When you're done and re-assembling, I recommend putting the clips in with the open ends to the outside, in case you ever have to remove them again. You have more working room if you're pusing outside to inside.
Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: