Chewbacca under the hood

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Well, that's what it sounds like anyway.

It just started today and it was kinda faint at first, but now it's more pronounced. It comes and goes and it's only at an idle. I looked under the hood and didnt see any Chewey fur but I noticed that the serpentine belt tensioner was moving a bit, then it would move more when Chewey was speaking.

I parked and straightened out the steering wheel and noticed that I had a pretty good vibration in the steering wheel and extra noise. I checked the PS fluid level and it was fine and not foamy.

I am thinking that it's the alternator pulley and when I turn, it puts more load on the alt. pulley causing it to vibrate more, causing the power steering pump to not run smoothly.

So do I need to call in Hans Solo help me take Chewey or is there something else you can think of.

2004 Jetta. 150,000 miles, stock.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Right. That was my first thought, then the steering wheel vibration came up and it made me wonder about the power steering. Honestly, I think the steering vibration is a result of the alternator pulley seizing. To me it's interesting how quickly this came about. It's been 100% fine until it wasn't in just a few miles.

One thing I want to do is find someone to hold the steering wheel full lock while I watch the tensioner. I hope to see it vibrate more.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I think that it's connected via the belt. The vibration transmitted to the power steering pump because the belt gets slowed down slowing down the pump.
This is a hypothesis of course.
That's why I say to check the pulley for resistance first, I would guess it will be difficult to turn if you can turn it at all.

If the alternator pulley checks out look at the pump, try to turn it by hand.
I haven't read of too many pump failures, so I lean alt.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So, yesterday I drove into a parking lot to try to find the noise. When I set the parking brake, the noise went away. Release it - Chewbacca. Set - silence. I did it at least ten times and the same thing. A few minutes later, it didn't really do it, or not as loud so I figured I was imagining it.

First thing this morning, I fired it up and it was making noise, then when I released the park brake, the noise went away. Opposite of yesterday. I knew it was the alt. pulley, so I thought about it and it finally hit me why the noise changed with the parking brake. So I pushed a button on the dash and I could get it to come and go, confirming my suspicion.

New pulley is on the way.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I've noticed the BEWs are very prone to power steering jerkiness and belt noise when alt pullies go. Much more prone than any of the other 4 pot TDIs it seems.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. The steering noise and vibration is dependent on load. On snow and ice it's fine, but on dry pavement, it's loud.

The Chewy sound is very dependent on electric load when the pulley seizes.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
whitedog, you're not alone.
Indeed when the alt pulley went in my BEW the steering was making crazy sound and vibration. So much so, I thought my steering pump was dying.

Just change the alt pulley

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
New pulley went on yesterday and no more Chewbacca. Now it's Simon and Garfunkel - IE: the sound of silence.

Did you figure out why the parking brake would make the noise change? (Hint - the button I pushed was the heated window)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Parking brake activates/deactivates the headlights (electrical load).