What did you do to your MKIV today?

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
Golfs are still holding the lead, three to two:D I had a thought about doing a possible TDI conversion but I just don't have the time: at this point I'm thinking it was a good thing that this wasn't a Golf! It's hard to take a nice car and part it out. No one, though, is interested in restoring a 2.0L gasser, especially one with an 01m. At this point I'm trying to figure out how much part-taking I am going to do: just about everything is in good condition- a ton of parts; anyone locals interested in parts can contact me (car is black w/beige interior)- can't take the time to do any shipping :(
got the ebrake button? :D mine was missing when I bought the car. Unless you wanna call it a "skeletonized" button LOL still functions fine just missing the nice smooth button that goes on it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son's MKIV, actually, got a new flywheel and clutch, replacing the OE DMF and clutch at 329K miles. Not bad service life. Because it got a clutch it got new Sprint 520 nozzles to replace the originals, which were also pretty much toast. And it also got control arms because both front and rear bushings were shot, an alignment, and a new fuel filter and oil change. Ready for a few more miles.

We bought this car from a club member in January of '15, my son has driven it 65K miles in the last two years, and it's only needed routine maintenance, suspension, brakes, and a set of tires. It's been the best bargain transportation anyone could ask for. And with a 2" lift and steel wheels it's got some street cred, too.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
You and dweisel are heading off in the same direction. He is stockpiling Beetles and you Jettas. Maybe bring that gasser jetta to the Darkside? Dweisel has a few engines/transmissions/ECUs he could set you up with. :D
It's good to have Dweisel as a parts guys for us Beetle lovers, I needed a drivers door window switch, he didnt have one so he just pulled it off his DD, what a guy. I've replaced both front headlights replacements from him as well.

All I have to do is take Care of Blue, it's so nice working on a car that is not all rust welded together. Once one gets the new assortment of tools, these are not that difficult to work on. Part fitment was done with precision. Mechanically these cars are built to go the distance!

Dave

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Because it got a clutch it got new Sprint 520 nozzles to replace the originals, which were also pretty much toast.
Did you replace the nozzles yourself or swap in injectors?
I've got 320K miles on mine and wondering if I should send them out to get balanced and nozzles changed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My local guru (Chris Hill at Kraftwerke) installed and tested them. He said the old ones had some blocked holes and a couple were streaming fuel. I'm happy we got to them. This car has always felt like it under fuels a bit so the larger nozzles help. Drives much better.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Did some troubleshooting on the "new" heated seats for my car. Looks like I'm scheduled for repairing thermistor wires: resistance check across pins 2 & 3 in the green connector show an open for my driver's seat. Meanwhile... just got another set of seats for the blue Golf, fronts also heated, so figure I might be doing some repairs on them as well. AND, meanwhile, I've had a set of replacement leathers for the wagon waiting to be installed!:eek:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Did some troubleshooting on the "new" heated seats for my car. Looks like I'm scheduled for repairing thermistor wires: resistance check across pins 2 & 3 in the green connector show an open for my driver's seat. Meanwhile... just got another set of seats for the blue Golf, fronts also heated, so figure I might be doing some repairs on them as well. AND, meanwhile, I've had a set of replacement leathers for the wagon waiting to be installed!:eek:
Sounds like "seat madness' to me! :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like "seat madness' to me! :D
Yeah, I'm even questioning myself!:eek:

Sadly, the username "seatman" has already been taken:D

Meanwhile my wife tells me that her seat is being flaky (again) and that so is the seat(only one?) in the son's car (first I'd heard of this). I asked her if she wanted to pile on anything else:mad:

MatthewPolley

TDI
02 Beetle TDi manual
Finished putting my Beetle back together after cleaning the intake, blocking off the EGR, and doing the easy off soak on the turbo (through the EGR port) and an oil change.

Took her out for a test drive and flogged the hell out of it to make sure the overboost problem was fixed, and it sure is. Easy off is no joke

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Started prep for 120K mile service
25 Feb: received oil, fuel, & engine air filters and 2L brake fluid (already have oil)
26 Feb: received cabin air filter

To Do:
1. order brake kits from Cascade German (formerly BoraParts)
2. finalize an appointment date with Matt in San Anselmo
3. figure out what else I may need to get

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Finished putting my Beetle back together after cleaning the intake, blocking off the EGR, and doing the easy off soak on the turbo (through the EGR port) and an oil change.
Took her out for a test drive and flogged the hell out of it to make sure the overboost problem was fixed, and it sure is. Easy off is no joke
Easy Off with Lye, is what helped me too!

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I'm even questioning myself!:eek:

Sadly, the username "seatman" has already been taken:D

Meanwhile my wife tells me that her seat is being flaky (again) and that so is the seat(only one?) in the son's car (first I'd heard of this). I asked her if she wanted to pile on anything else:mad:
What about the old Seinfeld name, A$$man!:D

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Put in an H8 sized flooded cell battery from Sam's Club. Cheaper than the 94R battery, 900 CCA and supposedly 100 AH. Did have to modify the battery tray and was already not running the cover.

Also an oil change - first one for me. Weird that when you pull out the element, all the oil from the dirty side of the element drains into the port that is normally after the element. That doesn't seem helpful.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I dove into changing the turbo and cleaning the intake today!
In the process I get to change the vacuum lines, oil, and fuel filter.

I managed to get the new turbo and intake back on before having to clean-up.
Wish I had a garage, at least I don't a need shade tree right now:D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also an oil change - first one for me. Weird that when you pull out the element, all the oil from the dirty side of the element drains into the port that is normally after the element. That doesn't seem helpful.
Most of the particles are likely stuck in the filter.

I do top-side oil changes and after slurping out the crankcase I stuff my evacuator hose into the filter canister(?) and suck out the oil there (have to poke it around a bit).

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I replaced the right parking brake cable after it got crushed with a misplaced jack stand.

What a difference it makes, having a parking brake that doesn't bind up and then get stuck half way applied!

(The left cable is about to be replaced as well, but the right was the one that failed, so was the most urgent. My minion/shop assistant had other projects to work on as well, so we only took the time to fish one in on Saturday night.)

Gamikatsu

TDI
None...Yet.
I did a temporary fix to a intake charge elbow... increasing my turbo Boost from about 8 PSI to 15-20, bringing back power and economy... (if i can keep my foot out of it).... Attempting to find the actual part to fix it for real

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
installed a new cabin air filter and thoroughly cleaned under the windshield and behind the firewall area. Look how dirty this was! PO probably never did this....

So does this area under the windshield drain to the fender wells on each side?

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Thanks for that! I still wanted to rinse some area's in there that had some mud type material that didn't vacuum or blow away with the air hose

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Re-sealed my injection pump including the pump head o'ring. I also replaced the fuel temp sensor since i was in there i figured what the heck. Kinda sketchy backing out the screws one at a time to let the seal fall into the groove! Only had two in there to begin with, followed the video series on youtube. Didn't get it all back together, tomorrow will have to put the lines back on and bleed / purge the system and reset the IQ.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Today I finally got around to replacing the alternator pulley.

I bought the short tool kit from Metalnerd, so I wouldn't have to remove the alternator. But the freaking pulley wouldn't come off, and I was afraid of breaking the tool. So the alternator had to come out anyway. Meh! :mad:

But now it's done. And the "rat-a-tat" noise is gone. Time for a beer...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Threw caution to the wind and took the snows off the Golf. Wanted to make sure we got one more storm before Spring.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I Installed a new windshield cowl, upgraded my auto dimming mirror and replaced the rear amplified antenna base. Reception is beautiful and the tdi is pulling stronger now things are back in sequence. Hahaa

Bajan

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oil, oil filter and air filter change on the wife's car: now at 190k miles. Also cleaned out the snow screen- WOW, pretty dirty! (mental note to check it more often) Although the weather was pretty decent I did the work inside the new garage, which makes all of this work a piece of cake!

aespTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GLS
Oil change after learning something new

Wanted to point out something I recently came across. I've been doing the oil change on my MKIV for the last 5 yrs or so the typical way, drain oil, replace filter and fill. I recently came across something I personally didn't know from the MyTurboDiesel.com site. It turned out to be true and even made a video showing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncFPT7dtPc&feature=youtu.be

Turns out when you pull the filter from the housing, it releases a handful of oil back into the pan. I searched through dozens of videos on Youtube and found no one mentioning this. Most did the changes like I would have done before. A few started with the filter, which unknowingly would release the extra oil into the pan which they would drain next. BUT they never mentioned the oil released from the housing.
Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it but I thought it was worth mentioning. Who knows maybe this is common knowledge.