Securing an MKIV on a trailer

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Might not be the right forum to post to but...

Looks like I'll be picking up a 2000 Jetta as a parts car (won't go into all the reasons; it would be cool if it were a TDI, but it's a gasser). What I'd like to know is where are the best places to strap one of these cars when hauling on a trailer? I've got a tandem axle 16' utility trailer.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
If there's no hitch on back there are tow eyes and for the front pull the tow ring out and put it in the little bumper grill on the bumper.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I'd thought of those but I would prefer to "X" straps- four straps (or four ends connecting to the trailer): front left of car to front right of trailer, front right of car to front left of trailer etc etc..

I've hauled my tractor, which is easy to loop around an axle and or has some nice attachment points.

I hate fumbling around with trying to figure out how to secure a load!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Use straps around the a frames and cross, then use the back tow eyes same thing.

As long as you cross them and use straps around the aframes they will be good.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK. I should probably be OK. I think that by weight I'm only required to use two straps, but I prefer four.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would honestly be comfortable with three on an MKIV.
Especialy if you back it on the trailer.
Cross the back and run the front tow eye straight out to the end of the trailer to bind.

I understand your desire for four, just use straps around a frames.
I personally have loop straps I would wrap and hook a chain to to bind it down if I wanted to do four.

Just not too much tension on the a-frames, this can put too much force on the rear bushings. You know the flat disk bushings..

So yeah, you'll be fine!

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I have hauled a few cars on trailers and four, crossed, is the minimum I would recommend. And cinch them down tight !

Three straps? Hit a bad spot on the road and the end with one strap could shift laterally and it will cause problems. Better safe than sorry.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I've used two straps. The rear strap went through both rear rims and vice versa for the front. Straps were 2" rated at 10K and reached from one side of the trailer to the other.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I've used two straps. The rear strap went through both rear rims and vice versa for the front. Straps were 2" rated at 10K and reached from one side of the trailer to the other.
I have hauled dozens of cars this way. Really need to have alloy wheels though to have enough room to get the straps through. I have useed the wide straps with the hooks into the slots on steel wheels, but not my prefered way of doing it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Trailer

Yeah, I'd thought of those but I would prefer to "X" straps- four straps (or four ends connecting to the trailer): front left of car to front right of trailer, front right of car to front left of trailer etc etc..

I hate fumbling around with trying to figure out how to secure a load!
The X cross is the proper way.
I would attach to the control arms.

Sure, organize it.
Take all the fun out of it. :)

Rich W.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
OK. I should probably be OK. I think that by weight I'm only required to use two straps, but I prefer four.
I agree with the others.
2 straps and the car could shift back & forth, side to side.

Rich W.

jetta00-1.9

TDI
2000 jetta 1.9L
MAKE SURE THERE IS PLENTY OF TOUNGUE WEIGHT, if not the trailer will start to sway back and and get out of control QUICKLY. By the drive it on so you have more weight on the tongue of the trailer! LITTLE TO NO TOUNGUE WEIGHT IS WHAT CUASES THE TRAILER TO SWAY. Trust me you dont want any part of that!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I've towed many VWs. I use four straps. On the front I hook the through the hole in the lower control arm to the opposite side of the trailer. On the real I hook in to the holes in the frame to the opposite side of the trailer.

Eric

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got the job done w/o any issues.

On the front I ran straps around the LCAs (crossing). In the back I hooked on to some brackets that are on the body (not sure what they are). Trailer has a hand winch, which I also had hooked up to the tow-eye.

In order to decrease the loading angle I had to block up the ends of the ramps as well as drive the truck's rear wheels up on some small blocks. Car ran just enough to help drag on to the trailer (had hand winch going as well).

I wish that I had a simple tow dolly trailer rather than all the weight of my utility trailer (which is about 3k lbs). But then again this isn't something that I expect to do much.