Women influence 84 % of car purchase decisions

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The words of that wise old sage Genghis Kahn. "If momma ain't happy no ones' happy"
��

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/women-buying-cars-30335.html
Women buy 54% of the cars in the United States, and influence 84% of all vehicle purchase decisions.
In our last 3 new cars ~~
She made 2 of the 3 cars we bought, her domain on choice ~~ 2 Toyotas ~~ 1 Camry ~~ 1 RAV4
I got the Golf :)
Dude, i know!
My mom's got a RAV4. I can't say I'm a fan. But, she did say the Crosstour is a stupid vehicle, so there's a small ray of sunshine there. I got my dad into a B8 A4 wagon with a turbo, at least.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Dude, i know!
My mom's got a RAV4. I can't say I'm a fan. But, she did say the Crosstour is a stupid vehicle, so there's a small ray of sunshine there. I got my dad into a B8 A4 wagon with a turbo, at least.

Truth is I really like her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED ~ VOICE Navigation ~ back up CAM ~ ZONE air conditioning ~ LEATHER all over the place ~ reasonable MPG ~ However rides like a truck.

Like the "Toyota care" ~~ her out of pocket on maintenance has been ZERO ~~ That includes a new battery, wash jobs, Tire rotation and oil filters etc.

Believe the re-sale value (on the CURB) will be satisfying -- ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Her only influence on my JSW was the tranny. She said no manula as she was too old and has bad knees. Her Golf, on the otherhand, was all her. I didn't even see it until I had to sign the paperwork.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Her only influence on my JSW was the tranny. She said no manula as she was too old and has bad knees. Her Golf, on the otherhand, was all her. I didn't even see it until I had to sign the paperwork.
Wow

In my case, she TOLD me what to do ~~ then I just shopped around to get the best price.

From my poor memory, it took 'bout a month. She ask for it as her upcoming Birthday present.

I got to pick the color ~~ sort of. ~~ It just came with the best price. ~~ Crushed Blue.

Had the car delivered to Tulsa (in driveway) from OKC.

I did test drive a 2014 RAV4 the year before ~ rode like a truck

She had zero time in a new RAV4. We both trust Toyota for quality, reliability, re-sale value, dependability, low maintenance issues.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Really, this number isn't surprising at all. Just think about who buys cars:

• Women buying their own cars. Obviously they "influence" the decision; they're the main decision-makers there--and the article tells us this accounts for 54% of sales right there.
  • Married men buying cars. I'd guess it's a pretty rare case that the wife doesn't have any influence in the decision, even if she doesn't expect to ever drive the car herself. I've bought six cars since I've been married, and my wife has influenced all but two of those purchases (and those two were bought just to sell back). "Influence" is a pretty weak word--it certainly doesn't indicate a dictatorial veto power or anything similar.
  • Unmarried men living with their girlfriends. See above.
  • Single men without a girlfriend--I'd guess most of these aren't influenced by a specific woman, though no doubt many of them have at least some thought to how women would view the car.
Who's left? Gay men? Certainly that is a demographic, and if homosexuals represent about 10% of the population, then gay men would account for about 5% of car purchases, or 10% of the cars bought by men. That leaves another 20% of the cars bought by men (reportedly) not at all influenced by a woman.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I wonder what percentage of men "influence" womens' car buying decisions? I bet it's more than 84%.

My wife had little or no interest in cars. When we chose a car for her, usually her only input was color. And then she was flexible. I tended to pick white cars for her because she never washed them. White looks better dirty.

And she had no interest in what cars I chose. In fact on a few occasions she didn't know I'd bought a car until I brought it home.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
True. I know a woman who loves her Toyota dealer since they do manicures, chocolates and such at the dealer while you wait.

Never noticed a dealer catering to us men like this.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Big leather chairs and ESPN at our toyota dealer. Unless the kids get in there first and put on Nickelodean. Of course I've stopped going there when they wanted about $700 for a 150K mile service.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Big leather chairs and ESPN at our toyota dealer. Unless the kids get in there first and put on Nickelodean. Of course I've stopped going there when they wanted about $700 for a 150K mile service.

OUCH:(

In my wife's case, she will be driving a new one (RAV4), long before the heavy maintenance begins.

Most likely will sell (CURB) and get a new one, at about 20,000 - 25,000 miles on the old one

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Who's left? Gay men? Certainly that is a demographic, and if homosexuals represent about 10% of the population, then gay men would account for about 5% of car purchases, or 10% of the cars bought by men. That leaves another 20% of the cars bought by men (reportedly) not at all influenced by a woman.
A woman likely influenced this, maybe indirectly but definitely influenced.
I wonder what percentage of men "influence" womens' car buying decisions? I bet it's more than 84%.

My wife had little or no interest in cars. When we chose a car for her, usually her only input was color. And then she was flexible. I tended to pick white cars for her because she never washed them. White looks better dirty.

And she had no interest in what cars I chose. In fact on a few occasions she didn't know I'd bought a car until I brought it home.
Imo, the tan brown on the Toyota tacomas look the best with fresh mud all over them.
And, if a man doesn't affect a woman's car purchase they usually get the one they never should have!
Like the "Toyota care" ~~ her out of pocket on maintenance has been ZERO ~~ That includes a new battery, wash jobs, Tire rotation and oil filters etc.

Toyota makes a great gasser! I just wish they sold their diesels here too!
Gasser ranking for me is Toyota (non prius), Nissan, Honda.
But, I would love a Tesla!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And, if a man doesn't affect a woman's car purchase they usually get the one they never should have!
Lot of truth in that. Some times

Toyota makes a great gasser! I just wish they sold their diesels here too!
Gasser ranking for me is Toyota (non prius), Nissan, Honda.
But, I would love a Tesla!
Personally I rank (gassers)

1 Toyota
2 Golf
3 Honda
4 Nissan

But when it comes to a new ride, PRICE (and new features) will play the major role in buying

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Oh IDK. I kind of nudged my wife into a Camry as an upgrade when she gave the Corolla to the GD. When she agreed to the Camry, she picked the color. She is a happy camper and other than not washing it or doing maintenance it will probably look new for a long time because she is easy on it and I do the maintenance.

Really great car for not having much personality. Oh and did I say it is just butt ugly?

I don't think she has ever given me any input on what I drive and could care less on influencing me.

Does she have a sister? yes, but you better be ready to following directions...............

Last edited:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Truth is I really like her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED ~ VOICE Navigation ~ back up CAM ~ ZONE air conditioning ~ LEATHER all over the place ~ reasonable MPG ~ However rides like a truck.

I tried driving it and I felt no engagement with the vehicle or got any useful feedback from it. After driving a bunch of newer cars, I completely understand why so many guys refuse to give up their MKI/MKII golfs.

My mom's car had 3 choices when it came to buying. The price gap between each one was another car(moderately priced used vehicle that is still good). That's completely absurd, if you ask me.

It was not possible to add just foglights and heated seats. That required to buy the top tier model(it does have nice options, though), but for just wanting foglights and heated seats, the cost was simply prohibitive. I will be taking care of these two things with a small budget of only a couple hundred and doing the labor myself.

The small suv/crossover segment of cars is likely THEE worst, out there in my eyes. The short version of it: too much car to be a good suv and too much suv to be a good car.

You're forced to use the back-up camera, even if your neck works and your head still turns. I felt like I had horse blinders on when I was driving. It's only possible to see(somewhat) to the left of me and a little forward(because I tend to scoot my seat all the way back in most cars) and straight ahead at medium and long distances. To me, that is atrocious, because there's simply not enough visibility for hurling that much metal at highway speeds. Don't start me on maneuvering in cramped city or tight space conditions. It is simply terrible and you're going blindly, unless you kick a passenger out, open windows and make them be your flagger.

The fact that the average driver doesn't really know how to drive, but is simply capable of making their vehicle move, scares me. Most just don't know about what they're buying or what they have, other than how to start it, make the blue tooth work and where the cupholders are. Not saying that everyone should be an expert or even an enthusiast to my own level, but there should be more knowledge about the product, especially when it costs $25,000+, after talking about how much people care about money. The automotive homogenization of the society is a highly negative concept for me.

I'm going to cut my rant/criticism short on just that, since you guys aren't here to read that. But, I will add the fact that the Honda CR-V is basically the unofficial female vehicle in my town. I counted 36 within a <5 mile radius, when I was out running errands for less than 1 hour.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I tried driving it and I felt no engagement with the vehicle or got any useful feedback from it. After driving a bunch of newer cars, I completely understand why so many guys refuse to give up their MKI/MKII golfs.

My mom's car had 3 choices when it came to buying. The price gap between each one was another car(moderately priced used vehicle that is still good). That's completely absurd, if you ask me.

It was not possible to add just foglights and heated seats. That required to buy the top tier model(it does have nice options, though), but for just wanting foglights and heated seats, the cost was simply prohibitive. I will be taking care of these two things with a small budget of only a couple hundred and doing the labor myself.

The small suv/crossover segment of cars is likely THEE worst, out there in my eyes. The short version of it: too much car to be a good suv and too much suv to be a good car.

You're forced to use the back-up camera, even if your neck works and your head still turns. I felt like I had horse blinders on when I was driving. It's only possible to see(somewhat) to the left of me and a little forward(because I tend to scoot my seat all the way back in most cars) and straight ahead at medium and long distances. To me, that is atrocious, because there's simply not enough visibility for hurling that much metal at highway speeds. Don't start me on maneuvering in cramped city or tight space conditions. It is simply terrible and you're going blindly, unless you kick a passenger out, open windows and make them be your flagger.

The fact that the average driver doesn't really know how to drive, but is simply capable of making their vehicle move, scares me. Most just don't know about what they're buying or what they have, other than how to start it, make the blue tooth work and where the cupholders are. Not saying that everyone should be an expert or even an enthusiast to my own level, but there should be more knowledge about the product, especially when it costs $25,000+, after talking about how much people care about money. The automotive homogenization of the society is a highly negative concept for me.

I'm going to cut my rant/criticism short on just that, since you guys aren't here to read that. But, I will add the fact that the Honda CR-V is basically the unofficial female vehicle in my town. I counted 36 within a <5 mile radius, when I was out running errands for less than 1 hour.

Lots to say ~~ and you said it

My sister's husband drives a CR-V ~~ They both love it.

She (my wife) ask for a new car for her birthday. Ya ridiculous. But truth is this car will last longer than I will. I was protecting my wife from having to do it her self in the future.

As I had zero in put when she (we) bought her > $31,500 RAV4 LIMITED (well discounted off of MSRP and zero interest for 5 years) at least she is happy.

She picked the car ~~ I picked the price, (and COLOR) then had it delivered from OKC to our drive way in Tulsa. Took a few days to get 'er done. I shopped several non-local dealers in two states.

Toyota care has treated her like a Queen. All maintenance to date. Free flat tire repair, free wash job(s) free Battery at 22 months.

All she has paid is TT&L, insurance, and gasoline. We (I) plan to do all the (future) maintenance at the local Toyota dealer, so as to get a clean CARFAX, when it is time to sell it (on the CURB)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Right. Three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.

What is influence? Is it just color or transmission or a certain feature? If so, isn't that just part of being a normal couple? If so, wouldn't 84% be low? Maybe the statistic should be 16% of women don't care at all about car purchases.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Excellent post. It's either amusing or discouraging to read how people basically are throwing out all car buying criteria to replace their bought-back TDIs, just because they're getting paid. At the risk of being (accurately) called a fanboi, I believe many common rail TDI owners are neither diesel nor VW people. That they're one and done with VWs is no surprise.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
...I believe many common rail TDI owners are neither diesel nor VW people. That they're one and done with VWs is no surprise.
That would be me. I haven't been "an xx person" with regards to any brand since the last air-cooled VW I owned rusted away.

I bought my JSW TDI in September, 2013. It is my first diesel car ever, and my first water-cooled VW. (I did own 4 different very used air-cooled ones, back in the day.) My wife owned two Golfs and an A3.

I'm in no hurry to get rid of the TDI: it continues to meet my needs without giving me any trouble. In a year and a half or so, when it's time to do something about the settlement, I have no clue what that will be. The buyback price will be hard to pass up on a five-year old (by then) car with 75k miles (by then) on it. I'll just have to wait and see what's available, from VW as well as other manufacturers.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Let's not leave out the lesbians. If it were not for them Subaru would be in trouble because the default lesbian hauler where I live is the Outback/Forester.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Let's not leave out the lesbians. If it were not for them Subaru would be in trouble because the default lesbian hauler where I live is the Outback/Forester.
Really. And in Texas most of the male mouth breathing red neck part of the population buy pick-up trucks What's the point? The LGBTP part of the population is such a small % that their sexual orientation has no relevance to the article.

What is important is the article is saying that in car repair and car buying women are certainly treated differently than men. The article's title is a little bit off base.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Excellent post. It's either amusing or discouraging to read how people basically are throwing out all car buying criteria to replace their bought-back TDIs, just because they're getting paid. At the risk of being (accurately) called a fanboi, I believe many common rail TDI owners are neither diesel nor VW people. That they're one and done with VWs is no surprise.
Only speaking for me...........

In the running for a replacement is the Golf 2017 (gasser) ~~ Price will be the determining issue. :)

As far as one and done, I did own a 2003 Golf GLS (a gasser)
Loved it. Miss it. :D

GoThingNC

TDI
2011 JSW-Toffee Brown
Lots to say ~~ and you said it

My sister's husband drives a CR-V ~~ They both love it.

She (my wife) ask for a new car for her birthday. Ya ridiculous. But truth is this car will last longer than I will. I was protecting my wife from having to do it her self in the future.

As I had zero in put when she (we) bought her > $31,500 RAV4 LIMITED (well discounted off of MSRP and zero interest for 5 years) at least she is happy.

She picked the car ~~ I picked the price, (and COLOR) then had it delivered from OKC to our drive way in Tulsa. Took a few days to get 'er done. I shopped several non-local dealers in two states.

Toyota care has treated her like a Queen. All maintenance to date. Free flat tire repair, free wash job(s) free Battery at 22 months.

All she has paid is TT&L, insurance, and gasoline. We (I) plan to do all the (future) maintenance at the local Toyota dealer, so as to get a clean CARFAX, when it is time to sell it (on the CURB)
That was a great deal !

My wife was going to replace her TDI SW with the new Golf SW but the salesman at the local VW dealership pissed her off so she went next door to the Toyota Dealership and picked up a used RAV-4 so the buyback will be a wash and zero debt added.

Main thing I do not like about the RAV4 is the low beam headlights, the headlight pattern cuts off sharply limiting vision at night going up hills or on narrow local roads. I was able to see much further ahead with the VW.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was a great deal !

My wife was going to replace her TDI SW with the new Golf SW but the salesman at the local VW dealership pissed her off so she went next door to the Toyota Dealership and picked up a used RAV-4 so the buyback will be a wash and zero debt added.

Main thing I do not like about the RAV4 is the low beam headlights, the headlight pattern cuts off sharply limiting vision at night going up hills or on narrow local roads. I was able to see much further ahead with the VW.

NEVER NEVER mess with mama Bear:)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was a great deal !

My wife was going to replace her TDI SW with the new Golf SW but the salesman at the local VW dealership pissed her off ...
Mazda dealer did that to my wife years ago. Haven't been back there since.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My wife's criteria in a car is that it has heated seats and she can "sit high up". Now, she is 70 and needs both those features, even though we live in the south Texas hothouse called Houston. I guess she wants to be eye to eye with all the pickup truck guys and gals.

One thing about a Camry that is never mentioned is that no one would ever want to steal it.;)

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Many years ago, I went with my wife when she was buying a new car. The salesman started to ignore her and direct his attention to me. I told him that she was going to pay for it and drive it; it was her transaction and I was just along for the ride. The guy repeatedly ignored her and talked to me; I repeatedly explained it was her transaction. Finally, she got mad enough to leave.

I'm not allowed to accompany her any more, so she doesn't have to put up with that behavior.