New-ish to me B4, maintenance advice

macksemil

TDI
1996 B4V
Hey all,

I have a 1996 B4 that was converted from a VR6 to TDI. The chassis has 250,000ish and the engine has 170,000ish. Love this car, but had it long enough now to have some maintenance coming due, I have a VAG-COM and the Bentley, but wondering if anyone can offer any useful advice on a few things I'm getting worked out:

First and most important/annoying:

There's a humming/vibrating/grating bad-wheel-bearing-like noise coming from the front passenger side. When cornering right (unweighting passenger side) the noise goes away, leading me to believe its the passenger side. I took it to the local VW shop since I have no place or time to work on it right now and need to get around, and he replaced front passenger wheel bearing, and both back wheel bearings were wobbly too so he did those as well. No dice, the noise persists. He said he can't figure out what it is, to just keep driving it until it gets worse (?). When it started, the noise was noticeable around 35mph, now its coming on around 15mph and sounds worse. Would love to figure this out before whatever it is explodes or melts leaving me stranded, do any of you have ideas for what else I could check to find out what is causing this? Mechanic said the CVs, tranny all seemed fine.

Second:

I have a fault code for intermittent control air pressure difference, it says to check vacuum hoses for that one, but I'm not seeing any that look bad, anyone else dealt with this one? Don't have the codes on hand but I can look it up if it would make a difference.

Third:

Intermittent short or open catalytic converter temperature sensor 2, anyone done this replacement before? I got under and looked around a bit, hoping to find a loose wire or something, but maybe the unit needs to be replaced? Does that code mean that the sensor is just going out?

Fourth:

This drivers side door handle seems like its about to fall apart, anyone have any tips for replacing it?

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
Customer brought me a Mk.4 Jetta with what was a plain-as-day obviously bad driver's side front wheelbearing, based on the direction and pattern of the noise. I replaced it to no effect. I then replaced the passenger side one and that cured it. Meanwhile read a few anectodal reports that VWs of this era, for some strange reason, give misleading wheelbearing noises. It's a thing, I guess.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Is this a Nice Cars conversion? Some of them actually last awhile before things start showing up.