2001 Jetta TDI cranks with gas but no start

Randal McDowell

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So two days ago I decided to correct my timing a bit, because it was a bit advanced, but after retarding it a bit too much, advanced it again. After I had the car back running like usual, I started it up no problem and drove home without any issue. Now I can hear the starter turning everything normal speed, diesel is flowing, and I have no idea what it is. Should I change pump timing again?

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Doesn't take much movement to make a significant shift in timing.

Did you torque the (3) bolts down?

What color are the (3) bolts? (should be green-ish; not sure what year VW changed them, but earlier bolts weren't really reusable because, I'd figure, they tended to slip).

Randal McDowell

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Doesn't take much movement to make a significant shift in timing.

Did you torque the (3) bolts down?

What color are the (3) bolts? (should be green-ish; not sure what year VW changed them, but earlier bolts weren't really reusable because, I'd figure, they tended to slip).
I torqued them down a fair amount, but didnt go to spec. I have non-stretch bolts in it right now, so silver

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would look to see where the position of the lock hole is in the oblong hole.
I mean to turn the engine to tdc and ensure all marks and the cam lobes are where they're supposed to be.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I mean to turn the engine to tdc and ensure all marks and the cam lobes are where they're supposed to be.
Yes do this.
It will get you back to baseline, then you can fine tune it using VCDS (or equal). This is assuming when you tried the minor adjustment to timing, you moved too far.
Also, those silver bolts might be originals, the replacements are generally goldish. I wouldn't sweat that one, if your pulley doesn't move it's fine.

Randal McDowell

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I re-homed it tonight, so hopefully it works well tomorrow. Unfortunately, my hole for the pump pin had some burs in it, so I had to get that corrected too.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Did you reset the injection timing?
Did you check the physical timing of the cam and crank?
Need to ensure everything is properly aligned and center the pump in the hole if it doesn't work tomorrow.
Take valve cover off to see the cams.

Randal McDowell

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Did you reset the injection timing?
Did you check the physical timing of the cam and crank?
Need to ensure everything is properly aligned and center the pump in the hole if it doesn't work tomorrow.
Take valve cover off to see the cams.
Yes and yes, and it works today so all is well.