Race pipe with anti shutter

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So i have a friend who just bought a resin 3D printer and was looking for stuff to print. So i sent him the files of each part and let him print away.

Photos to come soon

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Here are the photos of the parts i had him make for me. Im going to send the body to a casting company to get a price on what the cost to cast them would be.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Why the step choke? Use a bigger throttle plate. For those with bigger turbos and pipes this becomes a restriction.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Why the step choke? Use a bigger throttle plate. For those with bigger turbos and pipes this becomes a restriction.
The ID of this is the same size as the intake manifold opening. Its already bigger than the factory egr. Factory opening is around 1.675 mine is 1.875 that is the biggest it can go.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
If you are going to this trouble you really should make it for the ID of the euro PD130/150 manifolds

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
If you are going to this trouble you really should make it for the ID of the euro PD130/150 manifolds
As I've stated before in my post's i havent gotten a chance to get a pd130 or 150 egr. If someone is willing to send me a broken or working one i woukd build it. This whole thing is being done all out of pocket. I dont not have a company backing me for any of this.

I do make offers to people who help in anyway. One forum member will be getting a FREE ALH race pipe with asv as they have be able to help and supply some stuff.

Once i have a 100% working prototype they will be made by a company i already have lined up for the job. The company will be maching all the parts and i will be doing the assembly.

This is a small part but without a company footing the bill on the prototyping it will take some time.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The set-up and mold making then casting of these is not going to be cheap.
Then you'll have to finish machining the castings.
It may be better/cheaper to get them 3-D printed with a high-temp resin.
Fortunately this is a reasonably cool area of the engine compartment.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
The set-up and mold making then casting of these is not going to be cheap.
Then you'll have to finish machining the castings.
It may be better/cheaper to get them 3-D printed with a high-temp resin.
Fortunately this is a reasonably cool area of the engine compartment.
I have an in at a casting company that can also machine them. =) Im also still debating on having it just machined still. If its cast it will be cast with the flange on it.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
This is where my perspective comes from. I have a PD150 along with bigger pipes, intercooler etc.. ported and cammed. Buts its no longer in a vw either..

The thing is for an upgrade to go along the lines of power building one to suit the larger intakes would make sense as it wouldn't be a restriction on the PD's or an ALH. However and ALH sized one would be a restriction on the PD's. The bigger one would be a more universal part and has the potential for more people being interested in it.

My interest still rests in using it as a shutoff valve to stop a runaway motor or as an anti theft device seeing as my tdi resides in a wrangler.

Its a very nice piece so far and the work already put into it should definitely be applauded...

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
This is where my perspective comes from. I have a PD150 along with bigger pipes, intercooler etc.. ported and cammed. Buts its no longer in a vw either..
The thing is for an upgrade to go along the lines of power building one to suit the larger intakes would make sense as it wouldn't be a restriction on the PD's or an ALH. However and ALH sized one would be a restriction on the PD's. The bigger one would be a more universal part and has the potential for more people being interested in it.
My interest still rests in using it as a shutoff valve to stop a runaway motor or as an anti theft device seeing as my tdi resides in a wrangler.
Its a very nice piece so far and the work already put into it should definitely be applauded...

Thanks and i agree, i would make 2 separate ones, one for the ALH and one for the PD. You just physically can go bigger on the ALH. The O-ring seal is the limiting factor on that. I have opened up the ALH as much as you possibly could.

As for the PD i could make it as big as the flange, intake manifold and seal will allow me to. How big that is i dont know as i dont have the parts. On a good note the PD looks very similar to the alh so making the changes needed would be very easy. It also looks like the PD has a opening of 2.25" at the intake manifold.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I hope you had a good holiday. I know you started a new job so you probably didn't have much time off. Happy New Year!

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
Very nice project, i was searching for a solution to keep asv and remove egr.

Keep up the good work

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I hope you had a good holiday. I know you started a new job so you probably didn't have much time off. Happy New Year!
Thanks and no not much at all, been very busy with the new job and also planning a wedding but im hoping at the end of this month ill have at least 5 samples done.

Im also getting an updated sample from my buddy6who printed up my last one as i had a small problem with some of the diemensions on the first one that where my fault.

Very nice project, i was searching for a solution to keep asv and remove egr.

Keep up the good work

Thanks ill ill update soon.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
How's it going? Any progress in the last month?
Sadly no i haven't had a chance to get to use the shop yet. I was hoping to have the body machine this passed weekend but wedding planning has gotten in the way. On a good note i did get my hands on a PD150 intake manifold. i might have time this weekend to machine a body but at the moment not sure this wedding stuff has been killing my weekend along with working second shift. This also reminds me i need to get on my buddies a$$ and get him to get me a new 3D printed set with the corrected dimensions on it so i can try and get that to the caster to get pricing.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
It's been a few months and I hope you're doing well and have been able to progress with the project.