www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:19   #46
FlexYJeeper

TDI(s): MKIV Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarbulo View Post
pics of your battery?

should be a bridge-like thing over the battery under the cover (if yours is still intact and original). 6 or so wires come off the block and run down the back side of the battery. those are the wires that connect to the bottom of the relay block inside the car.

how was the GTI? you buy it?
there's like a positive bus bar but not any fuses. lots of red wires coming out of it. ill double check tomorrow and take pics

i check out the GTI in 10 hours.it 0015 here now and i just got off watch. im not expecting much. apparently this dealership has had it for 3 months with no interest. current price is $1500. the interior is apparently pretty torn and from the pictures the outside wasnt much better. its said to run and drive well. dealership did the timing belt and water pump too. i do a lot of flipping cars, thats how i bought my TDI. if i can get it for about $800 i'll probably get it but i'll look at it tomorrow
FlexYJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 15:13   #47
FlexYJeeper

bbarbulo you were right. there were 3 fuses i somehow missed ontop of the battery. they were all good. i also checked the relays when turning the key. they both clicked so im at a loss right now.

i looked at the GTI, it was trashed inside and out. the salesman i talked to on the phone lied. they were actually asking 2500 and would not come down AT ALL. i didnt even ask to drive it. i left. they are on crack. on a side note i've been habing wet dreams off a race car build from a E36 4dr with a LS1. i found a E36 im looking at tomorrow
Old February 20th, 2017, 17:05   #48
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

haha i don't know how prices are in your area, but $2500 is ridiculous. gassers around here can be had (with issues) for scrap value - roughly $200 usually. I don't come across those often, cuz frankly I never look for VWs. But I know some guys that regularly get MK4s for $150-200.

I don't flip cars though, I buy them cuz I want them. Then eventually when there is just too many, I might sell one or two. Sometimes I make a couple bucks, sometimes I lose. But I enjoy owning cars. Currently all 10 of them.

Now, on to troubleshooting...

Do you have a test light? Like one of those really sharp screwdriver looking things with an alligator clip wired to it?

Unplug relay 180. Key off/out of the ignition, one of the pins will have constant 12V. If it doesn't this is your problem. The relay is fed directly from the battery to the bottom of the relay block under the dash. Then from that stud, there will be traces leading to pin 30 of the relay. If you can identify pin 30 by the drawing on the side of the relay, great... check that pin 30 has constant 12V. If it does, continue - if not, then this is your problem.

Unplug the coolant temp sensor to get maximum glow time and disconnect the GP harness (bus bar on the glow plugs). Work your way backwards, probing the wiring (poke the test light through the insulation) about every 12 inches from the glow plugs toward the relay box under the dash. If the GP harness has been replaced, which it most certainly has several times, perhaps the splice wasn't done very well. Usually the splice is about 8 inches back from the start of the GP bus bar. So check there for voltage, then proceed backward toward the relay box under the dash.

98 Civic 5 spd VSM H&R coilovers 16" Gram Light 57C 4 wheel disk ITR 22mm RSB SiR 26 mm FSB SS304 manifold TD04L turbo Hondata ECU RC 440cc Holley 255lph Greddy Sparco Monza B&M OEM lip

93 Saturn SW2 5 spd OEM fogs Sprint 2.0 / KYB 18" forged Fast 4 wheel disk SPS intake & SS header mk3 front lip ACCMats carpet
bbarbulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 22:25   #49
FlexYJeeper

Dammit I hate electrical stuff. Is there any other solution? Like a kit that will replace the whole lot?

I hate how everything is run together in the car. The pass side turn signal is run in the same loom as the windshield wiper fluid wiring for Christ's sake.

Last edited by FlexYJeeper; February 20th, 2017 at 22:27.
Old February 20th, 2017, 23:10   #50
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

you better get real comfortable with wiring if you plan to do a E36 with an LS1 swap

as a 'shadetree mechanic' if you will, I enjoy doing it all. body work, fabrication, suspension, internal engine work, clutch replacement, auto tranny rebuilding, rebuilding axles, detailing, rim refinishing, tint, upholstery & headliner work, and yes... even wiring LOL

heck, I'll even do points, carbs... whatever it takes.

one thing I don't do a lot of is exhaust work. I have done it... I still do it... just don't LOVE it.

you have to know what you're replacing and why. otherwise, you're flying blind and throwing money at it to see what sticks. there are countless electrical issues in these cars. my dad's car for example lost remote keyless entry programming. why, I haven't figured out yet. But from airbags, rear wiper issues, door switches, cruise control stalks, etc... you could blow your wallet if you take this "replace everything" approach. Get the tools, get the wiring diagrams, learn it. No way around wiring these days.

98 Civic 5 spd VSM H&R coilovers 16" Gram Light 57C 4 wheel disk ITR 22mm RSB SiR 26 mm FSB SS304 manifold TD04L turbo Hondata ECU RC 440cc Holley 255lph Greddy Sparco Monza B&M OEM lip

93 Saturn SW2 5 spd OEM fogs Sprint 2.0 / KYB 18" forged Fast 4 wheel disk SPS intake & SS header mk3 front lip ACCMats carpet
Old February 20th, 2017, 23:15   #51
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

wait till you fall into a serial communication system car. I haven't dealt with one yet, everything I've owned still has 'field' wiring where each wire goes from the ECU or a relay to a sensor or load. But increasingly, cars are using one wire that goes to a number of components basically. Like a profibus or aSi in industry/controls.

Old February 21st, 2017, 12:48   #52
FlexYJeeper

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...12#post5240912