Confused.. fuel pump question

caddybruva

TDI
82 caddy truck 1.9MTDI
What's up, I got a 1z m-tdi. I was curious to see if I could run a lift pump. So I sent a email to Hans auto parts cause that's where the mechanical pump came from, asking more specifics about the pump and if I could run a upgraded fuel pump because in the ad of this pump it says they basically copied the euro design of the 2.8tdi. That's all... After a slow response the answer I got was, that I have a 17mm shaft and a 11 mm head.. and to not run a inline pump because the injection pumps are not designed for one. Sooooo what's the story.. can I run a lift pump with the mechanical pump? If not why not?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Return the pump and don't put it on the car. Search for "prothe" and you'll find out why. There isn't a reason you couldn't run a lift pump too, but don't use that pump you bought from Hans.

caddybruva

TDI
82 caddy truck 1.9MTDI
Well that's nice to know now hah... to bad I bought the truck with the pump already on it... truck had about 5k on the pump and top end rebuild when I bought it. I have probably put 12k on it since then. I also just re timed it about 2 weeks ago too cause I had bolts on my accessory bracket brake so it just got a fresh timing belt as well. Since reading this crap it doesn't make me feel to comfortable about having it... suggestions about a new pump??? I wanna stay mechanical.

caddybruva

TDI
82 caddy truck 1.9MTDI
Return the pump and don't put it on the car. Search for "prothe" and you'll find out why. There isn't a reason you couldn't run a lift pump too, but don't use that pump you bought from Hans.
I'm new to the forum, know anyone on here who builds pumps who has a better reputation than that guy?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Try sourcing one from RyanP or Frans.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
visit vwdiesel.net as well. lots of M-TDI guys over there.

you can run a lift pump but not at very high pressures, not sure why just what ive read.. need much less pressure than a gas cars fuel pump would provide without regulators.

ditch any moving part that came from prothe... you can use junk like strut mounts or vacuum line from him but nothing that actually matters to the engine...

no turbos, heads and head parts, injection pumps, etc from him.

EDIT TO ADD: NO TIMING BELT RELATED PARTS FROM HIM.

injection pump options are:
#1 using a VW IDI pump which will yield reduced power
#2 Franken-Pump built from a TDI pump internals and a 1.9l IDI pump body
#3 12mm land rover pump
#4 12mm VW 2.8 LT puimp
#5 12mm cummins 4bt pump

1 and 2 are basically plug and play since you already have a mech pump
3 and 4 needs a few modifications to pump and bracket
5 needs more modifications to pump and bracket

the vw pickup MTDI you have is what i would like to build if i ever find a good shell to buy so ive looked into it quite a bit in the past

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
You can run a lift pump but you don't want too much input pressure. More than 10 PSI can cause problems. Naturally the pump needs to be diesel rated. I have a Facet PosiFlow pump on mine, I think it's rated for about 40 gpm and 8 PSI though I can't remember exactly.