New nozzles coming from Kerma... any tricks to the install?

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
.....a different transmission, because the gear ratios aren't really spaced to handle this kind of horsepower curve......
I know what you mean, since doing my nozzles, turbo, and tune I feel the same way. First gear is pretty useless, can't get on it too hard in 2nd, the fun starts in 3rd.

I have a friend who did a 5 speed swap and put in tranny with a lower final drive ratio. First gear felt really tall with a stock motor, but I would love to have that with my setup.

austi012

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
I know what you mean, since doing my nozzles, turbo, and tune I feel the same way. First gear is pretty useless, can't get on it too hard in 2nd, the fun starts in 3rd.

I have a friend who did a 5 speed swap and put in tranny with a lower final drive ratio. First gear felt really tall with a stock motor, but I would love to have that with my setup.
That's all I meant. 1st is geared too low for anything but pulling stumps now.

I'm guessing the car has 125-130 HP, nozzles and tune. Not bad in a 3000 lb car. It's not a sports car though. The easy gains are over, going further would be inordinately expensive.

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Hey y'all,
Planning to do my nozzles next weekend. Think I have pretty much everything I need, one question for everyone. Is that angled+offset funky looking flare nut wrench necessary or can one get away with using a normal 17mm flare nut wrench? Mine is approx. 6" long and slightly offset, but doesn't have that 90 deg bend and huge offset of the one in the dbw install instructions. Just wondering. Don't wanna get half way through the job to find out I can't finish it. Thanks everyone

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
While I own the custom Metalnerd wrench, I managed just fine w/a standard open end. Not all angles will be ideal but be careful, remove the IP nuts (and lines) from the top down and you should be fine.

austi012

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
I used standard wrenches. No problem. I put PB Blaster on everything the week before so nothing was sticking.

austi012

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Stage 2 daily clutch went in. The pedal effort is actually lower than the stock clutch was. The car is a joy to drive now.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
austi012,

How many miles/km on your car?

Why did you choose to buy used injectors off of Ebay? I'm trying to figure if it's worth buying a used set so that I can eliminate down-time: I have two cars to do.

What re-map did you go with (I didn't seem to see it mentioned.)?

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

Stage 2 daily clutch went in. The pedal effort is actually lower than the stock clutch was. The car is a joy to drive now.
When did your clutch start to slip? My clutch seems to handle the stage 3 tune very well, but I don't redline mine. I agree that 1st gear is useless.

Also, what is your IQ set at? Mine smokes a bit with these nozzles. I'm guessing yours does too?

austi012

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
1. It has 105,000 miles now. It had 94K a year ago when I bought it. This car (even with mods) has been cheaper per mile to run than any other I've ever owned, hands down.

2. I bought used injectors off eBay, then had KermaTDI install the nozzles and flow balance them. No down time.

3. I got a tune from Kerma where I asked specifically for as little smoke as possible commensurate with good performance. I don't know if they really customize the tunes to that extent, but that's what I asked for. In any event, the car actually seems to smoke less than before when it had the stock (worn) nozzles. The turbo is boosting more with this tune, so they are adding more air at every point in the curve.

4. The clutch was only slipping when things were good and warm (like after a lot of traffic-jam stop and start traffic, which is sadly a daily occurrence here now) and then I'd be pushing it after the log jam broke. It seemed most pronounced when I was accelerating hard from 30-60. But it was getting worse. Replacing the clutch was not optional.

5. The car is so fun now! Yesterday I had to get out of somebody's way in an intersection and going into second, it chirped the tires -- no over-revving involved either, it was just honest grunt. That's just cool that the car can do that now!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Sounds like you're enjoying the upgrades. Now you know why the performance section is one of the largest here on Fred's. When I first got my TDI I was a bit skeptical and continually looking for the 'down side'. At some point, it sunk in there is none!! I love my TDI like no other I've ever owned. Still say it's a slippery slope though. My money is on you will want more at some point. Once bitten... ;)