x-man Hybrid turbo reliability feedback

VWSTUFF

TDI
PD 105 VW TOURAN
I plan to purchase an Hybrid turbo to fit in stock location of my tiny KKK bv 39-A and I wonder if people have experiences to share regarding X-MAN products ?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
He sells turbos on the UK Skoda forum I go on, and have heard nothing bad. I gather his turbos are built in Poland or similar and shipped in, which is probably why he can sell them a bit cheaper than the UK produced hybrid turbo manufacturers like turbo dynamics and CR Turbos. :) All I can say is I have heard nothing bad (yet)

timbomfg

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Bora PD130
Mine (purchased in July of last year) wasn't phenomenal. Poorly welded vnt arm, no stop screw (nor the ability to fit one due to the poorly welded vnt arm making contact on the cast-stop at the last 1mm or so of metal

It also blew exhaust gasses/soot out of the hole the vnt arm fits in.

However, i can't fault how it was dealt with though; returned the turbo to him, and got a 90% refund (i was 6 months out of warranty by this point, the turbo didn't go on the car until around 10 months after purchase).

I spend the extra, and bought a new turbo from Ryan & Scott to replace it

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
My GTB1756VK has been fine thus far, but I've only got about 3000 km on it. No weird noises or anything. It does leak some exhaust around the VNT lever. That'll probably soot up over time and take care of itself - not worth me pulling it off.

I needed to adjust the stop screw a bit - I could make 10+ PSI at 2k with no load the way it was set initially but I would expect to have to set that on any non stock application.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
He sells turbos on the UK Skoda forum I go on, and have heard nothing bad. I gather his turbos are built in Poland or similar and shipped in, which is probably why he can sell them a bit cheaper than the UK produced hybrid turbo manufacturers like turbo dynamics and CR Turbos. :) All I can say is I have heard nothing bad (yet)

I think him and his mate are both Polish but live in or near Glasgow somewhere.

He's on just about all the forums

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
My turbo came with its VSR balance sheet which I believe was from a Polish shop. The turbo shipped from Glasgow and showed up here on the west coast in just a couple of days.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
the GTB's seem OK other than bad van conversion's

Those VC 'hybrids' are not worth the effort, we have tried tuning quite a few now and never been happy at all. get a used 150 turbo if you are on a budget.

I dont say this to sell anything, most customers went away with the stock map back on and no charge. The customers usually just said it was better/cheaper than a damaged stock turbo other than the crazy lag.

VWSTUFF

TDI
PD 105 VW TOURAN
Well, forewarned can be forearmed ( I'm not sure the translation was quite right ) , in fact, I'm a bit disappointed .... Finally after a reflection metaphysical , I will go the PD 150 Turbo way and stay with my stock injectors.
What turbo reference should I buy ?
Thank you all for your support / Help.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I only have 1000km on my turbo, but I bought X-man's VNT 15 'VC' hybrid turbo, and so far I have no complaints... I did have leaking somewhere through the egr but I got rid of the egr and haven't had a leak since... for a budget price I would say it's worth it

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I have one of the -VCs
Mine was absolutely plug-and-play, the stock hoses hooked right up.
I have a malone 1.5 tune in it now, waiting to get back to the tuner for a 5+ tune.

The 1.5 tune peaks at 18 PSI, but the 3 bar map has a different reference voltage.
Because of this, I am boosting 22 PSI. I have DLC764 nozzles.

I have not noticed any "crazy lag". It is right there with the tune. I installed some gauges so it is funny to watch the "clutch saver" features of the 1.5 tune. Once the RPM gets out of the clutch killing area, it spools up like a toggle switch.
It is quite noisy, but I compounded that with 2.5" turbo back exhaust with a single resonator.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
the GTB's seem OK other than bad van conversion's

Those VC 'hybrids' are not worth the effort, we have tried tuning quite a few now and never been happy at all. get a used 150 turbo if you are on a budget.

I dont say this to sell anything, most customers went away with the stock map back on and no charge. The customers usually just said it was better/cheaper than a damaged stock turbo other than the crazy lag.

Not sure how just a vb turbo with barely larger wheels would be a problem tuning?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
That's not what it is though, but it's just my experience, ignore me if you prefer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I highly respect your opinion Ryan I'm just would like to know why or how just a turbo swap could make tuning difficult? I've never heard of such a thing nor heard of any actual experiences with this turbo just good experiences even from the tuner Malone? Thanks

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
if the turbo has bad actuator and stop screw settings and a car is booked in for half day re-map only with no workshop time set aside for endless testing, it affects tuning quite a lot!

a PD150 VB turbo does exactly what you ask, these 'hybrids' never do.

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
Octavia mk2 BXE + hybrid @175bhp/400Nm
ok I've just spotted this topic (I'm quick I know lol) so to be clear the VC hybrids all needed VNT and stop screw adjustment the first ones have been using PD170 shaft which turned up to not work so well with 2nd gen VNT however I still run one of these on my own car and it does work quite well the map isn't perfected yet but overall it's good daily driver without any excessive lag here is pretty fresh log:

http://vaglog.pl/log_212506.html

runs for 18 months now and only is going to be changed for something more powerful.

then we used PD150 shaft in them + PD170 compressor wheel and for budget stage one hybrid it worked pretty well now we only use billet compressor wheels in most cases

As for the unfortunate GTB22 mentioned above in the comments it was one of the very first ones and I admit not one I'm specifically proud of but things have improved since then and if you just look on briskoda forum there is large number of happy customers running them...

And we are all just people who make mistakes so if anyone have any issues I'm always happy to assist and resolve the problem.

The offer is now much larger than it used to be:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TDI-tuning-store-xman750/264464090377661

we can offer hybrids built to required spec and with VNT already pre-set

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I hear the pd150 shaft is the weak link in the turbo? You'd think the larger shaft would be an upgrade? I'm about to install my 17/49vc hybrid with the 170 shaft in my daily driver. I sure hope she runs great for many more years to come.

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
I hear the pd150 shaft is the weak link in the turbo? You'd think the larger shaft would be an upgrade? I'm about to install my 17/49vc hybrid with the 170 shaft in my daily driver. I sure hope she runs great for many more years to come.
in this case it's rather about the design of the shaft not the size of it the PD170 one was designed for 3gen VNT and it's not working as well as it should but it's not a disaster either if you look at the log I've posted. When exactly did you buy yours? it can have PD150 shaft already. Good picture of the turbine wheel would be enough to tell.

All the shafts have the same thickness anyway, I've seen turbodynamics 240bhp or so rated hybrid not so long ago and they used stock GT1749v shaft in it...

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
I bought it about 2 years ago
lol ok so you are taking your time with it ;) if you want I'm happy to take it back and replace with one with PD150 shaft or something of better spec like let's say this one here:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=450943091729759&id=264464090377661 but you will have to cover the price difference and postage of course

Anyway once adjusted the turbo you have should be just fine as I said I'm still running one on my own car and it does the job pretty well.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm just looking for a reliable 160-70 hp 300tq with smooth power. I'm just running a SB stage 2 daily clutch. It should be a nice upgrade from my stock vnt 15 turbo

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
I'm just looking for a reliable 160-70 hp 300tq with smooth power. I'm just running a SB stage 2 daily clutch. It should be a nice upgrade from my stock vnt 15 turbo
for that kind of power I would even go for PD130 shaft and PD170 comp wheel for better spool tbh... anyway you've got what you've got if there are any issues I'm always here to help

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Is there a way to adjust the stop screw to help it spool faster or we can also play with the tune. Is the main issue with the pd170 shaft spool time?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
its the wrong shape for the older VNT system so works worse than a stock pd130 turbine anyway

Quite a few people running them too now...

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
PM me the picture of the turbine wheel and we will know for sure...

cheers

I will later today. If it works worse than my vnt 15 I'll def send it back? But if it will make 22 lbs of boost and spool fairly fast and last 300k miles I'll be happy with the way it is?