tubular exhaust manifold: 4-1 vs 4-2-1

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 jtd 180 AT8
Finally I received the tubular header.
Some specs: header diameter 42.6mm OD, header length about 32-33 cm, totale internal volume about 1300 cc.
So that is roughly 2 times the volume of the standard manifold.

Last edited:

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking for the best bottom end power/boost. Quicker spool up for rock crawling. Horse power is not wanted.
Then the obvious choice is logstyle.

I'm thinking about building a 2nd manifold (this time by myself) with same diameter pipes, but as short as possible. So basically similair to the OEM manifold but with better merge and larger outlet diameter, matching the turbine.

Now let's find some spare time to fit this, that's hard these days.

daniel.

Vendor
TDI
335d : VW Golf 7 CR150+, VW lupo 1.9TDI, VW Golf 1.9TDI ALH
Then the obvious choice is logstyle.
I'm thinking about building a 2nd manifold (this time by myself) with same diameter pipes, but as short as possible. So basically similair to the OEM manifold but with better merge and larger outlet diameter, matching the turbine.
Now let's find some spare time to fit this, that's hard these days.
... Thats it? Someone told you that the log manifold is better than equal runner tubular one and you agree without testing?

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
... Thats it? Someone told you that the log manifold is better than equal runner tubular one and you agree without testing?
Please read again. Ofcourse I'm not spending a considerable amount of money on a tubular header to put it on a shelf...

I'm halfway now, I expect to make the first tests with the tubular Monday.

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Bad luck...
The tubular doesn't fit as it fouls my aircon lines. :(

I guess I have to cut this header out and route it more upwards...

Last edited:

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so after a few fitment issues I managed to mount it.
The first impressions of the tubular headers:
- More linear power delivery, less agressive
- A bit more turbolag
- Slightly changed sound note at rpm>3000 (in a better way!)
- For sure significantly lower EGT

The biggest difference is less torque rise in the 2000-2500 rpm area, probably caused by lower EGT feeding the turbo which then boosts slower. Also at part throttle I used to have a change in acceleration when the VNT opens after spoolup, this is dissapeared.
The top end feels strong, but this could be an impression because of the less agressive low end.
I still have to do the datalogs to see how acceleration (power) is really changed in the rev range.

daniel.

Vendor
TDI
335d : VW Golf 7 CR150+, VW lupo 1.9TDI, VW Golf 1.9TDI ALH
Thank you for shearing this mate... Can't wait for the datalogs. For me the biggest advantage of the tubular manifold is lowering the EGT values and I assume it will have bit more power at the top end.

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
So finally some hard numbers. I have to do some more logging to get more consistent results, but for now it gives a clear picture.
The thing that really, really amazes me is the EGT. It is down A LOT!
I'm talking 400+ deg C less than before. So there's a lot of heat loss between the cylinderhead and turbocharger which probably is the cause of slower spool.
I've plotted some acceleration times for tunes 8b, 9 and 10 with log and tune 10 with tubular. You will see it is a bit slower than before, like inbetween tune 8b and 9. But I supect if some exhaust heat can be recovered, this might improve.

Datalogs log vs tubular:

Boost curve:

Acceleration times, measured in 4th gear:

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
So with tubular you lost 400* egt. This comes to the long individual runners.
Because they are longer and separated they cool way faster then a log style manifold.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I don't suspect heat loss is the reason for the turbo lag, but it's causing the lower EGTs. If this is true, then wrapping the manifold will net higher EGTs and not change turbo response.

The reason in my mind as to why the turbo's lag is greater in the tubular is simply due to the increased volume of the manifold. If you have some way to measure the volume of water you can fit into each, that'll help add another data point.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
There is likely a pretty large temp drop between the cylinder head exhaust port and the turbine inlet.One way to prove this would be to move the egt probe close to one of the cylinder head exhaust ports to measure the temp difference.

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't suspect heat loss is the reason for the turbo lag, but it's causing the lower EGTs. If this is true, then wrapping the manifold will net higher EGTs and not change turbo response.

The reason in my mind as to why the turbo's lag is greater in the tubular is simply due to the increased volume of the manifold. If you have some way to measure the volume of water you can fit into each, that'll help add another data point.
I do think the heat loss is a major cause. The hotter the turbine is, the higher it boosts.
I already measured both volumes, it is 450cc for the log and 1300cc for the tubular. Ofcourse this tripled volume also will have its effects.

So, on one hand, you could add that much more fuel to get EGT's back to where they were which could net significantly more power, but something seems wrong about this...
If I would add 400 degrees EGT it would probably melt the pistons.
Don't forget I am measuring at one point, just before the turbine and this point has moved about 150-200mm further away with the tubular.

There is likely a pretty large temp drop between the cylinder head exhaust port and the turbine inlet.One way to prove this would be to move the egt probe close to one of the cylinder head exhaust ports to measure the temp difference.
Agreed, it would be interesting to see the temp drop in the manifold. Same for the log one.
I think a logical next step is to wrap the manifold and see if it brings the EGT back up.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Does it smoke more as less then with log style ?
Egt you can also see on how much it smoking.
When mine TDI get a little black smoke egt are around 900*
Backing the fuel and see almost no smoke egt are 850*

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Does it smoke more as less then with log style ?
Egt you can also see on how much it smoking.
When mine TDI get a little black smoke egt are around 900*
Backing the fuel and see almost no smoke egt are 850*
It is the same. Smokeless to 4000 rpm and a light haze above that. Looking at the logs, you will see that the amount of air and fuel is not changed.

Last edited:

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
I did some more datalogging today, because I was not satisfied with the results from yesterday. The circumstances were far from ideal with quite some wind, heavy traffic (could not perform full rpm range all the time) and the undertray missing from the car.

So I did them over today and got much much more constant results and when I looked closer I was delighted about it.
The numbers are much better than before, and in the 4000-4500 rpm range I broke through the 2 secs barrier the first time; 2.01 secs and a very quick 1.93 secs with WMI turned on. And not just one log, all logs are within a few hundreds of secs apart.

So I am confident there is potential in this manifold!

Next step, I am going to wrap it to see if some response can brought back. It should be quite doable with the manifold installed on the car.