Diesel from Natural Gas

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
as seen on one of my companies intranet sites

August 28, 2002
Company to make diesel from natural gas
Trucking Info.com reported last week an Oklahoma company is building a test plant to make synthetic diesel fuel out of natural gas.

According to published reports, Syntroleum Corp. hopes to have the demonstration plant operational by the middle of next year. It will make about 3,000 gallons of fuel per day, to be used in metropolitan buses in Washington and in government vehicles in Alaska's Denali National Park.

If the test, being undertaken under a U.S. Department of Energy test program, is a success, the company plans to build larger commercial-grade plants to produce synthetic diesel fuel for the U.S. commercial market.

Syntroleum's process converts natural gas into a synthetic crud oil, which can then be made into various "petroleum" products. The process works best for synthetic diesel fuel, because the synthetic crude contains high levels of cetane. The fuel burns cleaner than regular diesel fuel because it has no sulfur, aromatics or metals, according to the company.

Syntroluem said the synthetic diesel would get about the same mileage as regular diesel and would be competitively priced.

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
Interesting. I wonder how the lubricity would be. I suppose it woudl have additives for this. Also, cetane value?

I bet this would be about as clean as B100.