2005 Jetta BEW P0101

OliverC

TDI
2005 Jetta
Hi.I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if i posted in wrong section.
First,here is little history about my car.I bought this car with camshaft wearing through lifters already and EGR was blocked of with a plate (valve is still in the intake).So after replacement of the camshaft,lifters,timing belt and water pump I found out that vacuum actuator at the turbo wasn't working when vacuum aplied.Since those actuators have a sensors also they are kind of pricey and I had one from ALH laying around I sent my maps for remap and disabled need for that sensor,also they did EGR delete and tuned up my power little bit.So after all this been done,I drove around and got P0101 -MAF -Implausible signal.I replaced air filter,clean all grounds and finally after light coming again I did some logging and I thought that was a bad MAF so I replaced it with Napa rebuilt one but again light came back with a same code.I logged it again and again getting same values as with old MAF.Here is a graph from that log.I see my boost is little spikey but eventually levels off with requested boost but my MAF seems to drop down and then go back up

https://imgur.com/a/qzsSp

I would like to know if this could be another faulty MAF or i have some other issues .
Thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had the P0101 code also, but with reduced power and lots of black smoke. The problem turned out to be a loose connection on the bottom hose to the IC. The barbs/nubs had worn down. I replaced the hose and all is well. The CEL did not go out by itself.

OliverC

TDI
2005 Jetta
I will double check my boost hoses but I would expect my boost to go down as well but if you looked at that graph you’ll see that boost stays up but MAF randomly drops to about 200 mg/stroke.The car drives kind of normal (there is lots of power and I didn’t drive it before to know what is normal for that car).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
MAF faults usually are detected first before a major boost leak.

A smoke machine also can help with this. But there is usually an oily trail from a boost leak, so that helps to locate things.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Oilhammer is usually right. Likely you'll see the leak once pipes are exposed, if not smoke.
Side note- This is the right forum if it's an 05 A4. Seems like 85% ALH, so careful what you read. Cars are much the same except the fueling system.

OliverC

TDI
2005 Jetta
It just seems weird that I have power and boost curve is right but MAF reading drops from around 900-1000 down to 150-250 mg/stroke.And yes it is PD engine in MK4 Jetta (BEW)