Did the 2003 Jetta TDI Wagons have ESP?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Does anyone know if the 2003 Jetta TDI wagons came with ESP (traction control)? I know my 2003 Jetta sedan has it, but none of the wagons I'm looking at seem to have ESP. I was thinking maybe because they were built in Germany, they didn't get that option?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Some do - some don't. My coworker and I both have 03, ALH 5sp wagons in reflex silver. Both GLS models with sunroof and heated leather seats. His has ESP, mine doesn't.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
To the left of the hazard flasher button is a blank (that means no ESP)

If it has ESP, that blank has ESP on it, and that is a switch to switch it off if needed

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Big ol ESP button to left of the hazard switch. If you have a TDI engine and don't have it, the button will be blank. There was no ASR for the TDI equipped MK4s to my knowledge.
As I mentioned above, my coworker has it in his 03 wagon. Original owner. From what I understand, it became an option in 02 or 03?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
As I mentioned above, my coworker has it in his 03 wagon. Original owner. From what I understand, it became an option in 02 or 03?
For sure in 03. I really don't recall any 02 with it and it wasn't that common back then. It was the only option I didn't get on my sedan. I wished I had it but didn't want the car in a different color. It was inexpensive, maybe like 150$ more to have it.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx! From what I have read, ESP did not come on 2002 cars at all. You can retrofit it, but it is a pain.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I ordered my '03 from Wolfsburg and I don't remember if ESP was available at all (perhaps not in those that were in the build cycle when I ordered it) or it simply was more money than I was willing to spend for something that I considered to be of marginal value (I live in a no-snow state, after all.....)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I ordered my '03 from Wolfsburg and I don't remember if ESP was available at all (perhaps not in those that were in the build cycle when I ordered it) or it simply was more money than I was willing to spend for something that I considered to be of marginal value (I live in a no-snow state, after all.....)
ESP helps with even dry road conditions. Suppose you get a flat tire, start to lose control of your car due to oversteering because the rear end of the car wants to swing around, ESP would be there to help control the vehicle better than you on your own.

I think all cars should have it. The subset feature of ASR is good to have, but ESP can be practically a life saver.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
ESP helps with even dry road conditions. Suppose you get a flat tire, start to lose control of your car due to oversteering because the rear end of the car wants to swing around. ESP would be there to help control the vehicle better than you on your own.

Helps in stabilization after hydroplaning recovery too.

I think all cars should have it. The subset feature of ASR is good to have, but ESP can be practically a life saver.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was optional in 2003. It is a gov't mandated thing now on everything.

Not sure when VAG started making it standard, but I know it was still an option on the 2005 TDI Jetta wagon, because a friend of mine ordered one that way and got tired of waiting for it to show up so he bought an otherwise identical in stock one without it. A week later, his ESP equipped one showed up... another friend bought that one.

However, my stripper 2005 New Beetle (2.slo, manual, no fogs, no sunroof, steel wheels) had it. And I seriously doubt someone would have actually ordered that car that way, but maybe they did.

Both my 2004 Passats have it, and I am pretty sure it was standard on diesel Passats that year.

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Big ol ESP button to left of the hazard switch. If you have a TDI engine and don't have it, the button will be blank. There was no ASR for the TDI equipped MK4s to my knowledge.
Ah. In that case my 2003 Wagon does not have it. Alas.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I had a 03 wagon 5 speed with it, and a sedan. both had sun roofs, leather, the center console cup holder and seemed to be late 03's.

dphoenix1

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH 02J - 250k mi
Thx! From what I have read, ESP did not come on 2002 cars at all. You can retrofit it, but it is a pain.
Not sure about TDIs, but I have an '02 1.8T wagon (GLS, 09a auto, cloth int, moonroof, alloy wheels, monsoon audio) that DOES have ESP. Would seem to me it would stand to reason they would've offered it as an option across all engines, but then again VW was (is?) weird with stuff like that.

That being said, my '02 TDI sedan (GLS?, 02j 5-speed, leather int, moonroof, alloys, standard audio w/ 6CD changer) does NOT have ESP, however (though the gauge cluster does have the little ESP disabled indicator + backing LED in there).

[NB: Figured I'd list the options for comparison's sake. I bought both of these used and neither came with the original sticker, and idk if VW did some sort of package deals with options like they do now, or if it was all a-la-carte.]

[EDIT/CORRECTION: I'm an idiot. The wagon has ASR, not ESP. Sorry for the confusion. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.]

Last edited:

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everyone. Looks like we do have a 2002 with ESP, but no TDIs so far. I haven't seen a 2002 with ESP yet.

dphoenix1

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH 02J - 250k mi
Thanks everyone. Looks like we do have a 2002 with ESP, but no TDIs so far. I haven't seen a 2002 with ESP yet.
Ah crap. I was 100% wrong, my wagon has ASR, not ESP. It's been so long since I've driven it regularly that I got the acronyms mixed up. Dunno where my head was yesterday. Sorry about that.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Ah crap. I was 100% wrong, my wagon has ASR, not ESP. It's been so long since I've driven it regularly that I got the acronyms mixed up. Dunno where my head was yesterday. Sorry about that.
ASR was an option on the 1.8T (and probably the VR6) sedans and wagons which is stands for anti slip reduction. It's all about preventing your car from losing traction due to too much power at the wheels. I don't believe it was ever offered for a TDI.

ESP was an option for the TDI probably as a mid year 2002 release.

oilhammer

TDI
ASR (from German: Antriebsschlupfregelung 'engine slippage regulation')

ESP has ASR as part of its function. There is also EDL as part of its function, and of course ABS.

The Monroney tags have all this listed generally.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
ASR and ESP became options for the TDI starting with the 2003 model year. You could have your 2003 car with just ABS, ABS + ASR, or ABS + ASR + ESP.

-J

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I noticed another difference between my 03 wagon and my coworkers this weekend when I did his brakes. He has the center console cup holders where mine has the dash mounted. 1/03 build date on his, 6/02 on mine. I knew the console changed in 04 - didn't realize late 03s had them as well.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, 2003s got the better console with the lifetime cupholders that the Passats had already enjoyed for a few years by that time.

I deleted the in dash cupholder on my 2000 Golf as soon as I got it untooefed and roadworthy (it had already been replaced, and already broke again) as I did not want my wife tempted to use it.

I had anticipated getting a later center console... but then recently discovered the tan late type GLS center console with cupholders has been obsoleted and no longer available. :(

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Yep, 2003s got the better console with the lifetime cupholders that the Passats had already enjoyed for a few years by that time.

I deleted the in dash cupholder on my 2000 Golf as soon as I got it untooefed and roadworthy (it had already been replaced, and already broke again) as I did not want my wife tempted to use it.

I had anticipated getting a later center console... but then recently discovered the tan late type GLS center console with cupholders has been obsoleted and no longer available. :(
Looks like it could use a cleaning, but available used...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswa...ash=item1ca6df201e:g:W5sAAOSwOJJaqrAm&vxp=mtr

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
For the record, cupholders move was a mid 2003 model year change.

oilhammer

TDI
For the record, cupholders move was a mid 2003 model year change.

Depends on final assembly, too, as there were three different ones and not everything changed at the exact same month. Which is why ETKA is chock full of VIN splits, LOL.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depends on final assembly, too, as there were three different ones and not everything changed at the exact same month. Which is why ETKA is chock full of VIN splits, LOL.
I can imagine that would make things interesting! I've been through that before with my 95 Audi 90 V6.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, but it generally isn't any different than any other manufacturer. VIN splits, build dates, serial numbers, calibration codes... all kinds of variables for all kinds of things.

What REALLY sucks is when a dealer looks something up wrong, and you get the wrong part, and install it. Case in point: a 2004 E250 van, 5.4L V8 engine. Some of those have a 3-wire cam sensor, some have a 2-wire cam sensor. The cam gear inside the engine is different, too. And if you try to install an engine with a 3-wire type in a van that uses a 2-wire type, you find out it won't start... and then you get to do it all over again. :mad:

The outside of the engine is 100% otherwise identical.