Cluster Swapping, cannot access ECU & CLUSTER

ahnabil

TDI
B5, not TDI
Hello Guys,

i know this have been like discussed thousands of times, but still i need help :)

extracting IMMO codes from clusters is not an issue, i've vag-com and vag-tacho and couple of other interfaces.

so for the main dilemma,

i own a B5, year 2000 with auto tranny.

i got my hands on a new cluster with the half screen "half fis", so i removed the old cluster, and fit in the new cluster.

before fitting the new cluster i'm ABLE to access the cluster and ECU using vag-com as usual, but with the new cluster fitted, i'm UNABLE to access neither the cluster or the ECU using vag-com or else.

the car comes with this cluster.
https://imgur.com/a/pWqBv

which is dull and old, without any screen, only the PRND321 indicator for the trans.

the new one is this one
https://imgur.com/a/cPGzR

i don't know why i'm unable to access it or the ECU, some car electricians said that this is wiring issue, and if i could rewire the green/blue connectors wires i would be able to make it work, some said this CLUSTER isn't compatible and i hope they are wrong, it gave the car a new soul.

Help appreciated

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Just out of curiosity can the immob be disabled with the vag com from ross? Im installing one in my boat which has two control stations so two ignition switches, the oem ign switch is going to be scrapped along with my gauge cluster.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hello Guys,

i know this have been like discussed thousands of times, but still i need help :)

extracting IMMO codes from clusters is not an issue, i've vag-com and vag-tacho and couple of other interfaces.

so for the main dilemma,

i own a B5, year 2000 with auto tranny.

i got my hands on a new cluster with the half screen "half fis", so i removed the old cluster, and fit in the new cluster.

before fitting the new cluster i'm ABLE to access the cluster and ECU using vag-com as usual, but with the new cluster fitted, i'm UNABLE to access neither the cluster or the ECU using vag-com or else.

the car comes with this cluster.
https://imgur.com/a/pWqBv

which is dull and old, without any screen, only the PRND321 indicator for the trans.

the new one is this one
https://imgur.com/a/cPGzR

i don't know why i'm unable to access it or the ECU, some car electricians said that this is wiring issue, and if i could rewire the green/blue connectors wires i would be able to make it work, some said this CLUSTER isn't compatible and i hope they are wrong, it gave the car a new soul.

Help appreciated
Find the k line connection to the cluster and tighten the plug a little, I used a little knife up the side of the k line pin bit to close it a little to make a better connection because of the same issue.

On your car I think the k line goes through the cluster to the ecu and that's why you can't connect to either.

But yeh, a little tweak and I got mine working perfect. It was fitting full fis sports cluster in a mk4 golf.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
FWIW, 2000 Passats in the US did not have immobilizer. What year is the "half fis" from? have you checked to see if all pin locations are the same between the 2 clusters? could be a matter of moving a few wires on the plugs to the correct spot.

ahnabil

TDI
B5, not TDI
yes i know, but my car is EU which have immobilizer, and to be honest i don't know the half fis year, as i took it from over the shelf, the problem is that i don't know the exact wiring/pin locations for the new cluster, and yes one car electrician said that it's just a matter of moving pins but yet neither one of us have the wiring diagram for the cluster.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
yes i know, but my car is EU which have immobilizer, and to be honest i don't know the half fis year, as i took it from over the shelf, the problem is that i don't know the exact wiring/pin locations for the new cluster, and yes one car electrician said that it's just a matter of moving pins but yet neither one of us have the wiring diagram for the cluster.

Did you check the k line? If anything it's maybe that pin that needs moved. A google of the part numbers might help too.

All the mk4 golfs are the same pin locations from 98 up, just some newer ones have extra pins for more can bus stuff.

But yeh, I'd check that k line because you need that to communicate with the cluster and ecu. It's the black/white wire