BRM “Monster”

Theguy1084

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I’m currently driving a 2006 Jetta with a BRM. It has a stage 2 tune and a AFE or something intake. I recently purchased a second BRM engine off of eBay. The donor car was a 2006 Jetta TDI with 197k Miles. I plan on taring it down and building it into a BRM monster. I’ve also collected pistons and rods from Darkside to start building the bottom end.

This will be a long term project that I estimate will take between one and two years. I figure building one on the side will allow me to spread out the cost, and shorten total down time of the vehicle. Other than machine work, I’ll be doing all of the work myself.

I’m not 100% sure what I’m going to do with the engine once it’s built. At first, I was going to swap it out with the engine currently in my car. After some thought, I’d really like to swap it into a MK2 or 3 Jetta. If I come across the right car before the engine is completed, I may go that route. I swapped a built 1.8T into a MK2 Jetta about 8 years ago. Unfortunately I had to sell it before it got it properly tuned. A large part of me wants a second go at a swap project.

Below is a parts list I started. It’s just a guide at this point. The parts with a * are ones I’ve already purchased. My goal is something north of 300whp and 400wtq.

BHW Pistons*
Rosten H beam Rods*
Rod bearings*
Crank bearings*
Thrust bearings*
Main cap studs or PD150 bolts
SMF Flywheel/clutch
Front main seal
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket/sealer
Oil cooler upgrade
Oil filter housing gasket

Race cam
Cam seal
Cam bearings
Injectors 120%
Head gasket
Head studs

Intake manifold
Exhaust manifold
Darkside GTD2872VRK kit
Full 3” exhaust
Tune (possibly Malone considering they’re close)
FMIC of some sort
Engine mounts of some sort

Auto to Six speed manual trans conversion

I’ll probably P&P the head too, but I haven’t made up my mind yet about Nitrous.

Last edited:

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
Sounds awesome. I'm only looking to bring my BRM to around 200hp/350lbft so your goal seems pretty optimistic :D

Good luck!

Theguy1084

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It seems fairly doable. Every picture host I use to post pictures gives me trouble. I usually post pics through Tapatalk but it’s not working either.

Anyway, I’m waiting on the pistons and rods from Darkside. I also bought a cam, ported head, and 120% injectors from someone on these forums. The packages came today but I wasn’t here to sign. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick all up tomorrow. I’ve also got the block broken all of the way down. When i get the pistons I’ll be sending it to the machine shop.

I exchanged a few emails with Malone about tuning it. They seem pretty confident that they can get it dialed in. After talking with them I decided that I’m going to stick with dsg for now. Maybe put an lsd in it and upgrade the axles. Too early to tell

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Who did the headwork?
I'm 99% sure that the head work was done by Darkside Developments. I'm pretty sure he bought the head from this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=487461

I was also considering purchasing some of the parts, but waited to long since I didn't have all of my funds together to purchase it. Otherwise it looks to be a phenomenal head. :)