Removing the Turbo - Polo 2DR 2006 1.9TDI

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI Polo 2006 (2005 built)
OK... Took it out for drive, boost seems fine but then...

SMOKE.. SMOKE... LOTS OF SMOKE...

BATMAN would have been proud of it, so it's smoking now... I must be in the exhaust because it wasn't blowing when car was idling, not losing any oil from what I can see. |

I also think there may have been a piece of shaft left inside too, heard it shooting to the rear. I'll wait until late night then take her out for another run...

So I'm going to wait till it cools, fire up again and see if smoke appears, if not, then I assume it's burning up in exhaust when it gets up to temp.

I get what you mean now JarHead... damn it's thick and lingering smoke too!!

Might get a funny video too

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
In an attempt to reduce the green house effect I've tried to remove the rear muffler section but without a hoist I don't think it's possible to twist and navigate it out. So did the best I could, not that it seems to be effective.

More smoke to come...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It must be a trick of the camera, it looks like your jack stand is holding up the rear of the vehicle, using the exhaust pipe?

Ok I see the white jack stands now they kind of blended in to the background.

There will still be oil in the muffler itself. When I drove mine the first time and all that smoke was coming out the tailpipe, I kept stopping to check the oil to be certain it wasn’t blowing oil into the exhaust like it did when the turbo let go.

I’m hoping you’ve got it once the oil is burnt out of the exhaust.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
It must be a trick of the camera, it looks like your jack stand is holding up the rear of the vehicle, using the exhaust pipe?

Ok I see the white jack stands now they kind of blended in to the background.

There will still be oil in the muffler itself. When I drove mine the first time and all that smoke was coming out the tailpipe, I kept stopping to check the oil to be certain it wasn’t blowing oil into the exhaust like it did when the turbo let go.

I’m hoping you’ve got it once the oil is burnt out of the exhaust.

I'm getting super paranoid now, the turbo seems to be stuttering, and there's still heaps of oil burning. Something that is worrying me is "what if" a piece of the old turbo shaft shot out the oil return side and it's blocked the return near the sump. A lot of oil has poured out the rear muffler too but I cant get it off to drain it and there's still oily residue from the front part of the exhaust that I was draining for days.

I too am continually checking the oil levels and there doesn't seem to be any change to it since filling it.

How long did it take for you to burn off the exhaust oil?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It was about a 10 mile or so run. I was sure happy when the oil cleared. Up till that point I was pretty worried.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
It was about a 10 mile or so run. I was sure happy when the oil cleared. Up till that point I was pretty worried.
I've just removed the exhaust from the flange, not something I wanted to do but was very concerned that I was burning oil at the turbo. It's just black with deisel soot and there's no oil, no play in shaft and I feel a lot better.

The rear section and rear muffler is still dripping oil, it must be so full, but I'm surprised it's burning so quickly into the drive. I assume there's still a lot of residue in the front section too.

My son checked the oil return, it seems clear and it didn't pour out of the block, so it must be flowing through

I guess a late night run might be the only way... I'm considering soaking the front system in fuel and flushing it out with soapy water, there's still an oil residue in the pipe, so it's far from clean.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd just run it. You've checked everything twice. It's not losing oil. The oil return is clear, the turbo wheel is good.

Mine was dripping oil out the tail pipe when I first started it, and then for the first drive to clean it out I stopped probably four times to check the oil level.

That oil will burn off it just takes some heat. Since you drained the front part of the exhaust you'll have less to burn than I did, hopefully.

I don't think soaking and flushing is going to gain you a great deal. Lots of work and little result.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jarhead, my son and I are have a good old giggle thinking of a huge smoke trail through the city of Brisbane.. I could take it up through the back roads near the mountain, but then someone might call the firebrigade thinking it's a bush fire...

I'll put it back and try again tomorrow... I think my guitly conscience might hide behind in a giant white cloud of smoke!

Mine has left a trail of oil down the road on the first outing...

PS: I also checked the throttle body for oil there's none there :)

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Took the CAT and front exhaust off, flushed with gasoline and then chased it with several sessions of soapy water via the karcher until I couldn't see any more oil.

With the car up on stands at the front, drilled a small hole at the base of the rear of the back muffler to let oil drip out.

Started her up and brought to temp, run at 2000-3000 rpm and began to smoke but not nearly as dense as it was before. Oil was still dripping from the rear exhaust, but I assume it's the residual oil thats still there. The CAT must have been heavily clogged with oil and with the flush, it's improved a LOT, to the point where I think I can now go for a drive and clear the rest out. Yes I know you shouldn't use solvents etc but either way it was going to need a CAT replacement if it wasn't cleared. So I'm prepared to have a new CAT installed if it throw engine codes. I'm yet to see an O2 sensor on the exhaust, so not sure if it has one.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Something is amiss...

I simply run down the road, 500 yards and on the way back I get a stutter in the RPM and then it starts dumping oil... I can start her back up, rev it fine and then there only a little bit of smoke from the exhaust, but the smoke coming up the hill is profuse...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Something is amiss...

I simply run down the road, 500 yards and on the way back I get a stutter in the RPM and then it starts dumping oil... I can start her back up, rev it fine and then there only a little bit of smoke from the exhaust, but the smoke coming up the hill is profuse...

A little stutter could be just a timing issue...could be. Dumping oil is another ball of wax. Has your oil level fallen? The smoke will take awhile to completely clear, even though you drained some out there was a lot of oil in the exhaust.

When the turbo blew how much oil did you loose and how long was it run for?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have access to a vcds so that you can adjust the torsion/timing?

I don’t think it would be the seals but that’s something I am not familiar with on the PD.

Any chance you have a boost pipe loose/cracked or just not seated properly?

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The more I think about this, is the smoke coming back up the hill black or grey? Check your boost hoses, if they use the same clip system that they use here in the states you may have popped one loose.

I changed out the O rings on mine 2 nights ago and one connection I was sure I had seated and snugged up came loose. Once pressure gets in those hoses they will come apart if not fastened correctly and you get a huge amount of black smoke.

More than one person has though a hose coming apart was a blown turbo.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll check but I'm pretty sure they are all good. I have VCDS lite, I'll meter the injectors. My friend at the RC track mentioned it may be FUEL that's burning... over fueling perhaps... I need to sleep on it and try and work out what's going on because it's not oil in the exhaust / cat because I REALLY cleaned it out.

PS: It's white smoke or light blue, but definitely not black.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm #1

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2065943&postcount=20

Hmm #2

Wait for it...

The two o'ring's on the oil pick up's in the sump had gotten hard and were passing air to the injectors causing radical changes in oil pressure. I had originally over filled the sump to eliminate a broken pick up but had not filled it enough to cover the o'rings. They put in a further 2 litres of oil and the frothy oil to the injector rail stopped. She ran like a freight train so they proceeded to change the o'rings, new oil and filters and she is going like a dream. What can I say it was a real learning experience.

Hmm #3
MAF - Did disconnected it when removing filter box

hmm #4 (I've check this, no excessive oil in the line pipe - will check Air intake too.

Changed the breather filter got one from Audi for £47inc vat. Was a bit of a git to get out: Injector pipes off and turbo oil feed. Some nibble fingers were required but i was just happy to get it all out and back together again with only 5 chunks of skin missing from my hands. Very usefull tool to have also is one of those magnetic sticks to retrive dropped tools and screws.
Oh breather has done the job no more clouds and no more annoyed cyclists.

hmm #5

EGR Sticky issue...

hmm #6 - Recheck the oil return is clear (but "self" convinced oil isn't burning in the turbo)

hmm #7 - I did pressure wash the front of engine, there are two connectors there... Will disconnect and cleam

hmm #8 - Boost pipes, from what Ive read, low air to fuel = black smoke, its not that but when I installed the pressure duct onto turbo, it did seem a little loose, so I'll check that too. The others are spring clamps and I installed them correctly but will double check.

Doesn't make sense that half way up a slight hill it hesitates and bellows out snoke and wont stop, perhaps it is the EGR stuck open but why all the whitish smoke. It's not coolant as the smoke really lingers. At my next attempt, I'll shoot some video.

Taking a day off and going RC race practice to do some more "hmmms" with myself.

JarHead - Thanks a lot for the support,

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I am gutted... I have no idea what has caused this... there's no oil to be found, there's a little residue left from the intercooler, no excess oil from breather.. and we assume the smoke is excessive diesel... I cleaned everything before I put it back together and can't understand why my impeller looks gouged.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Found the souurce of the debris, the step down rubber adapter on the intake side had swarf trapped behind it, I cleaned it... damage done, but I'm about ready to detornate the bastard... had enough now

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is disheartening, I feel for you, I’ve thought about throwing in the towel especially when my timing belt found a piece of debris in it’s path last spring and stripped off 8 inches of teeth. Then about three months later my turbo died, never did identify a reason for that.

Any possibility of a used one from a wrecker or friend? Will the place you bought the new one from give you a discount on a replacement?

Hang in there.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
That is disheartening, I feel for you, I’ve thought about throwing in the towel especially when my timing belt found a piece of debris in it’s path last spring and stripped off 8 inches of teeth. Then about three months later my turbo died, never did identify a reason for that.

Any possibility of a used one from a wrecker or friend? Will the place you bought the new one from give you a discount on a replacement?

Hang in there.
Ill get back in touch with supplier, might be able to change the impeller. The damage is minor, and I found the culprit in debris...

This was a reply from FB, it's a little outside my understanding. So I might call the supplier and see what he recommends.

Mark Jackson Sounds like the actuator on the turbo isn’t set correctly ...the rod for the vvt , need roughly setting up using a mity vac hand pump , first off try running an n75 output test using vcds and check the live data measuring block that comes up when running the output test
And another FB response

What color is the smoke? Did you diagnose the vacum pump on the dieselpump side?
I've been throwing ideas in the air with a good friend who's a mechanic and we're a little perplexed by it all.. I may just remove the Intake and Turbo once again... won't be too hard the second time around. I just can't get my head around why the engine BOGS / HESISTATES and then decides to bellow the grey smoke... You can see in the first video there's very little grey smoke, just black unburnt diesel.. then in the second after a 400 yard drive down the road, we're back to the white/grey smoke...

Whether it's oil or diesel I cant tell, we agreed it's not coolant, it doesn't have the sweet glycol smell and we know that well. We clean our RC pipes in it.

**** happens... but hell man VWs can be a right pain!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The actuator may need to be set up. There is a write up at myturbodiesel.com You'll need a mity vac as has been noted. I made the assumption that the guy where you bought the turbo from had done that. Which he probably did, from your earlier description of him he seemed very helpful.

Black smoke is usually from an air leak of some kind, white/grey is often oil getting by your turbo seals.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI

Due to popular demand, I flushed the the Intercooler with simple green. Also see on the floor the Turbo vac line near charger (son left keys in ignition), I replaced it as the original had worn spots on it.

My Karcher has a soap feed under low pressure so I take advantage of it.

Tried to get the rocker cover off, but there's one torx bolt I cant get to because of the EGR, so I took a sneak peek through the gap and couldn't see anything untoward.

Will get myself a compression tester later today and test the cylinders.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I went shopping and bought some more goodies for the tool box... This will get the sucker out..

Lets take another look at those lobes, maybe I wasn't looking closely enough..

Yup good too

And this one..

It's either my eyesight or, they're good...

Everything under the rocker seems nice and tidy... from where Im sitting anyway..

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
New toy, will check compression later on when battery is charged and rocker cover back on.

Onto suspect vac lines, cant hurt changing them...
Some of the worn spots, there were more, not through, but the hose wall was weakened. (Desperate times)

Replaced the vac cannister... it had wear marks and felt flimsy

Also replaced the line to the Turbo, it had signs of wear too!

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Checked intake for OIL, was relatively dry, just diesel soot. So I have to assume overfueling...

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Compression test returned 400psi on all cylinders, however the engine was cold, (ie 25c) as it's still on stands and battery wasn't at full charge. Point being, all cylinders were equal.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All four at 400 is good.

The crap you found was that blocking the oil line or the intake?

Have you talked to the turbo place yet? Did the guy there have any input?