Who Imports?

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Thanx
Looks like 2600 to import.
Yep. That's about average. If you want to try to do it yourself, you can (possibly) save some money, but there is WAY more headache involved with it. There's a few good threads in The Car Lounge on Vortex about importing a vehicle.

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
I just bought an imported Suzuki Carry threw Mini Truck Forum, a 91 that is street legal and is currently my daily driver work truck (Im a Plumber)
I knew it would be about $2k at least!
Do they do the search for the vehicle you want?

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I highly suggest paying someone.

I've done this myself, and there's a lot of moving parts. It's just easier to pay someone a few extra bucks, who already has connections and knows the paperwork inside and out.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
so this means that someone can source a 4 WD VW TDI in Europe and import it into the US for a mere 2.5k or things are more complicated than that?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Start here.

I was looking to import a car from Canada (a mere 90 miles north of me) and gave up in total frustration. The government and VW will run you in circles. VW corporate, when calling to get EPA documentation for the car I was interested in, said it wouldn't do it because they don't want to promote vehicle smuggling. Huh? I asked them how they figured it was their job to engage in law enforcement. It's up to CBP to determine what is and what is not legal. Told VW that the documentation was something that the US government required back when the car was manufactured, that information IS in effect a public document. I hung up on that conversation with VW, vowing to NEVER buy a new product from this company: and then not too long afterward the Scandal unfolded (Karma!). Anyway...

It's a RACKET. If you're an individual they will spring any trap on you to punish you for not using an importer.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
so this means that someone can source a 4 WD VW TDI in Europe and import it into the US for a mere 2.5k or things are more complicated than that?
As long as it is 25 years old or older, yes. Your expenses will be buying the vehicle, and then paying the $2.5k to get it here. Then just register it like normal. If the vehicle is under 25 years old, then wait until it's over 25 years old.

Start here.

I was looking to import a car from Canada (a mere 90 miles north of me) and gave up in total frustration. The government and VW will run you in circles. VW corporate, when calling to get EPA documentation for the car I was interested in, said it wouldn't do it because they don't want to promote vehicle smuggling. Huh? I asked them how they figured it was their job to engage in law enforcement. It's up to CBP to determine what is and what is not legal. Told VW that the documentation was something that the US government required back when the car was manufactured, that information IS in effect a public document. I hung up on that conversation with VW, vowing to NEVER buy a new product from this company: and then not too long afterward the Scandal unfolded (Karma!). Anyway...

It's a RACKET. If you're an individual they will spring any trap on you to punish you for not using an importer.
There is not a chance I would try to import something under 25 years old because of exactly what you were saying. You have to do exactly none of that for something older than 25 years.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
As long as it is 25 years old or older, yes. Your expenses will be buying the vehicle, and then paying the $2.5k to get it here. Then just register it like normal. If the vehicle is under 25 years old, then wait until it's over 25 years old.
Oh man...I was thinking of possibly buying a good old mk4 Tdi AWD from Nordic Europe but with the 25 year rule they are still years away from qualifying :(....but thanks for the info.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man...I was thinking of possibly buying a good old mk4 Tdi AWD from Nordic Europe but with the 25 year rule they are still years away from qualifying :(....but thanks for the info.
If you want to go through the work of converting one, Korwerks in NY will sell you all the parts you need. Not a small undertaking, though...

https://www.facebook.com/AWDTDI/

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
MK4 jetta tdi , alh wagon
don't forget that not only do you have to consider the federal laws but local laws too. You could import a golf rally mk2, It's awd and a little badass lol. Keep dreaming on MK4s since the oldest is still 6yrs away lol

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Yep including Paper work!
But the cost of a 24 year old truck at $18,000 is way out there!
What I was stating is that price excludes many details such as shipping to port from export country, export prep, container loading/unloading fees, port inspection fees, plus more. The actual shipping cost is only one facet of the shipping "adventure". You'll note that many importer list their fees as starting at or past examples.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
What I was stating is that price excludes many details such as shipping to port from export country, export prep, container loading/unloading fees, port inspection fees, plus more. The actual shipping cost is only one facet of the shipping "adventure". You'll note that many importer list their fees as starting at or past examples.
Taken straight from the Orchid Euro website.

Our flat-rate importation service for a regular sized passenger vehicle is US $2,600.00. This includes:

Ocean transit on a fast 10-12 day service
Export paperwork preperation and filings
Translations of foreign documents to English
NHTSA / DOT Import paperwork filings
USA import filings (actual taxes and port fees/inspections are additional, based on 2.5% of the vehicles value, & an average of $200 for port fees).
Phsyical retrieval and clearance of vehicle from New York / Maryland terminals
Pennsylvania title and VIN verification assistance (PENNDOT charges and local taxes etc are additional)
Free technical support via email and phone for registration in your own state (excludes California)
Transport of the vehicle to our Pottstown, PA, warehouse, if requested.
Collection from local train station if you are traveling in to collect the vehicle from our warehouse.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Taken straight from the Orchid Euro website.

Note:

"USA import filings (actual taxes and port fees/inspections are additional, based on 2.5% of the vehicles value, & an average of $200 for port fees).

Pennsylvania title and VIN verification assistance (PENNDOT charges and local taxes etc are additional) "

Plus also note the exclusion of the costs of getting the car from wherever it is in Europe a shipping port. Physical export prep.

As I have already stated is is NOT $2600. That is a start point. I am not arguing here. I have ample experience in this department. My points are made from experience not conjecture.

jwm470

TDI
01 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 03 Golf, 02 Beetle, 03 Wagon
There is a guy named Michael who used to import classic Mini Coopers to the States from all over the world. He would be a good source as he is a dealer and has numerous contacts. We had one buy and sell transaction through him and it was professional and reasonable. Search miniguy and his contact info should be on his site.

Last edited: