Restitution payment after purchase of fixed used 2015?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I am looking into buying a 2015 myself (to replace my 2015 being bought back with hi miles)

This is VERY interesting. Seems like incentive to get rest of fix?

Borsig

TDI
I’m in the same situation. Sold my 2010 back to VW, bought a fixed CPO 2015, waited for the title, uploaded all the documents, waited some more, they wanted the bill of sale so I uploaded that, waited some more and then got denied today.

Maybe because it was a buyback as well? I’ll be calling today to find out more and will reply back here.

please let us know.

I can't see us getting any money, but I dont see any incentive for getting pahse 2 without it, unless it is needed for the 162K warranty

TDI
'15 GSW DSG SE
please let us know.

I can't see us getting any money, but I dont see any incentive for getting pahse 2 without it, unless it is needed for the 162K warranty

I called the claims support line and they were not able to tell me why I was denied, but the lady I spoke with said she was pretty sure I would be able to get 1/3 the restitution after Phase 2 is done. She suggested I reach out to the class counsel for a definitive answer, and said the process may just not be established since phase 2 isn’t available yet. I’ve sent them an email and will keep you all updated.

And I agree on the incentive, where I live we don’t do diesel emissions testing so it would only be needed for warranty I assume. I’ll get it done either way, but some cash would help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When I spoke to the class counsel they said as long as the car was previously titled and met the conditions, it would be eligible for what ever hadn't been done yet. If part one had already been done then part 2 would get the remainder. Just know that the bigger portion is paid for part 1. Not the case for new 2015's though as they had never been titled. Which leaves me out again. But I wasn't counting on anything anyway.

Borsig

TDI
So used 2015's get 2k ish? thats too good to be true

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I called the claims support line and they were not able to tell me why I was denied, but the lady I spoke with said she was pretty sure I would be able to get 1/3 the restitution after Phase 2 is done. She suggested I reach out to the class counsel for a definitive answer, and said the process may just not be established since phase 2 isn’t available yet. I’ve sent them an email and will keep you all updated.

And I agree on the incentive, where I live we don’t do diesel emissions testing so it would only be needed for warranty I assume. I’ll get it done either way, but some cash would help!

The other incentive for getting the Phase II fix is that the emissions extended warranty is reset for 5 years/60,000 miles from when Phase II is completed. So if one waits until the very end to get Phase II, one would potentially maximize the extended warranty coverage (but would wait on getting what might be the final 1/3rd restitution payment).

What is throwing me off on the 1/3rd Phase II restitution payment on previously owned 2015's is that, in most cases, the prior owner had VW buyback the vehicle, which included the market value plus restitution payment. So if VW paid the new owner the 1/3rd Phase II emission fix restitution, I would perceive that payment to be made twice. Hopefully, it will!

TDI
'15 GSW DSG SE
The other incentive for getting the Phase II fix is that the emissions extended warranty is reset for 5 years/60,000 miles from when Phase II is completed. So if one waits until the very end to get Phase II, one would potentially maximize the extended warranty coverage (but would wait on getting what might be the final 1/3rd restitution payment).

What is throwing me off on the 1/3rd Phase II restitution payment on previously owned 2015's is that, in most cases, the prior owner had VW buyback the vehicle, which included the market value plus restitution payment. So if VW paid the new owner the 1/3rd Phase II emission fix restitution, I would perceive that payment to be made twice. Hopefully, it will!

That’s true, but I think previous owners of these cars have been able to get some type of payment as well.

Borsig

TDI
Any updates on this

Borsig

TDI
I'm buying mine either way. Still, getting 1500-1800 ish back on the thing next spring would be a nice pay down on the note.

Spudnik

TDI
'15 Passat SEL, '13 Passat SEL
Looking for phase 2 restitution when available

Converted from fix to buyback on my 2013 Passat and bought a 2015 Passat. It's used with 29,000 miles on it. Dealer did Phase 1 fix. I've applied for the Phase 2 fix restitution. Currently being evaluated at step 15 which says:

"We have reviewed all of your documents. Currently, your application contains all the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Claims Program and, if applicable, will provide you with a final offer."

Estimated payment is $2,734. Fingers crossed. :D

Borsig

TDI
Keep us posted.

I may pick mine up on Sat. Car in the lead right now is a 2015 Golf SE with lighting package - Certified, 19K miles for 16,700.

Max Power

TDI
On #8
I was on the portal the other day doing the buyback for my 2010. I opened up the chat box and asked about the 1/3 payment for the used GSW that I bought a few months ago from a dealer.

She said that I would get the 1/3 payment after completion of the second half of the fix next year. I said "To be clear, I bought this car from a dealer after it had been turned in by the previous owner and it has had the first half of the fix done. So you're saying that I will get the other 1/3 payment after I do the second half next year?" After asking me to hold on while she talked to her supervisor, she said that yes, I am entitled to the 1/3 payment when I do the other half of the fix.

Seems like that should be a pretty good source but I'm not booking the cruise just yet...

Cheers!

Borsig

TDI
Not counting it till in hand........

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I had sent an email to the class counsel to ask the question this thread is based on about 2 weeks ago. Have not heard back from them. I had thought the class counsel existed to represent the class who are in the restitution of these TDI emissions items, but apparently that don't have to always answer class member questions. Others seem to be getting responses from our class counsel often. Has anyone yet received a class counsel response to the question this thread is based on?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well I don't know where this 1/3 and 2/3 comes from.

I bought my Passat on May 31st 2016. This year in June I had the Phase 1 done and shortly after received 50% of a settlement amount. In 2018 when they'll do the Phase 2 then shortly after I will receive the second 50% of the settlement amount.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI

I bought my Passat on May 31st 2016. This year in June I had the Phase 1 done and shortly after received 50% of a settlement amount. In 2018 when they'll do the Phase 2 then shortly after I will receive the second 50% of the settlement amount.
Just responding to how others with purchased 2015 models stated in this thread.

I think your situation is different than this thread's topic, which is "Restitution payment after purchase of fixed used 2015". You purchased yours unfixed if you had to take it in for the fix. Your purchase must not have been from a VW dealer (they are not allowed to sell unfixed TDIs). So your situation is different.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
From the settlement agreements--that's how the restitution for the fixed MY2015 cars is paid. You didn't get half of the restitution in June, you got 2/3. When you have them do Phase 2, you'll get 1/3. Your offer letter explains this in some detail.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wrong on both counts!

I did buy my Passat "Unfixed" last year from an authorized VW dealer !

I had Phase 1 done in June and received 50% and next year after Phase 2 I'll get the other 50% ! NO 3rds

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Is the Canadian settlement different from the US settlement in this regard?
Ah, good point--I hadn't noticed that @Jetta_Pilot was in Canada. So to answer your question, @Jetta_Pilot, the 2/3-1/3 break is in the US settlement agreements. Very little of what's being discussed in this forum deals with the Canadian settlements.

Borsig

TDI
Any more on this?

I'll be picking up our golf hatch this weekend

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, good point--I hadn't noticed that @Jetta_Pilot was in Canada. So to answer your question, @Jetta_Pilot, the 2/3-1/3 break is in the US settlement agreements. Very little of what's being discussed in this forum deals with the Canadian settlements.
Now I know us up in Canuckistan are somewhat ignored:p

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Love to know also??..I bought one also (new 2015 passat from the dealer around 2 months ago)

Did the car go into service before Sept 2015? If not, why should VW pay anything more due to the scandal?

Spudnik

TDI
'15 Passat SEL, '13 Passat SEL
2nd Fix restitution DENIED!

Converted from fix to buyback on my 2013 Passat and bought a 2015 Passat. It's used with 29,000 miles on it. Dealer did Phase 1 fix. I've applied for the Phase 2 fix restitution. Currently being evaluated at step 15 which says:

"We have reviewed all of your documents. Currently, your application contains all the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Claims Program and, if applicable, will provide you with a final offer."

Estimated payment is $2,734. Fingers crossed. :D
UPDATE: VWGOA Email Response

Dear "SPUDNIK":
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. XXXXXXXXXX, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

• Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.
Your request must include the following information:

• Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
  • You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is being sent from an account that does not receive replies. For questions or other issues related to the Diesel Emissions Settlement, please visit www.VWCourtSettlement.com or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.
To ensure delivery to your inbox, add claims_noreply@vwgoa.com to your address book.

I happen to think this is CRAP. What incentive do I have to complete the 2nd part of the fix other than extended warranty... Is this VW reducing their lawsuit liability?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for this feedback. Sounds like buying a used 2015 TDI from a dealer who had to complete Phase 1 to sell does not allow the new owner to claim the final restitution when Phase 2 is completed. I was hoping a restitution was available for you and potentially me if I bought a used 2015 TDI, but sort of expected the answer you received. Now I know for sure. I may still try to submit a claim if I do purchase a used 2015 TDI, but I'll expect the same response.

Borsig

TDI
Vw would be paying more. They already paid the original owner of the car the full amount.

Your incentive is that you get a free new DPF and whatever else to extend the service life before it comes from your pocket (if after 162k) .

We all would have liked to have had some sort of incentive. We wont be getting it, nor should we have expected it. I would have bought mine either way. Phase 2 is about extended reliability, not compliance. If it was about compliance, they wouldnt be allowed to sell them yet. Bet on it.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Vw would be paying more. They already paid the original owner of the car the full amount.........
Please do a little research before posting ignorant comments.

The original owner could not have possibly received the full amount because VW does not have the second stage of the fix available yet.

2015 models require a 2 step process to be brought into compliance, and the owners are only entitled to 2/3 of the restitution amount upon completing the first stage, and the last 1/3 upon completion of the final stage (which is not available at this time).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Please do a little research before posting ignorant comments.
The original owner could not have possibly received the full amount because VW does not have the second stage of the fix available yet.
2015 models require a 2 step process to be brought into compliance, and the owners are only entitled to 2/3 of the restitution amount upon completing the first stage, and the last 1/3 upon completion of the final stage (which is not available at this time).
Ignorant comments, wow, pot calling the kettle black much.

If the dealer is selling a "VWoA bought back car" picked up at auction, only way they are able to resell it is if phase 1 is performed by VWoA. Thus, no second payment is needed, as VWoA would have shelled out for full buy back amount and they'd be shelling out again for phase 2 fix. All depends on the history of the car. Looks like if VWoA performed the fix on the car, the title will show transfer of ownership to VWoA in Auburn Hill, MI . If this is the case this should send of red flags phase 1 fix was performed by VWoA, no money is left on the table.

I see two scenarios right now for 2015 (with >100 miles) on the lots.

A: 2015 that were bought back by VWoA, VWoA performed phase 1 of the fix in order to resell, car is currently being resold by a dealer or independent shop. No addtional money is on the table. The title will show transfer to Auburn Hill, MI in this case

B: 2015 that was straight out traded/sold to any dealer, independent of any VWoA transaction, where as the owner had phase 1 fixed and were paid for said fix. There is still money on the table for phase 2 fix that either the dealer or next owner can capture once phase 2 is available. No title transfer to Madison WI in this case.

The spit payments are only available to cars that were titled before Sept 2015, the NOS that went on sale last April get zero additional compensation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
A: 2015 that were bought back by VWoA, VWoA performed phase 1 of the fix in order to resell, car is currently being resold by a dealer or independent shop. No addtional money is on the table. The title will show transfer to Madison WI in this case

B: 2015 that was straight out traded/sold to any dealer, independent of any VWoA transaction, where as the owner had phase 1 fixed and were paid for said fix. There is still money on the table for phase 2 fix that either the dealer or next owner can capture once phase 2 is available. No title transfer to Madison WI in this case.

The spit payments are only available to cars that were titled before Sept 2015, the NOS that went on sale last April get zero additional compensation.
This makes sense. Thanks, 740GLE.

It brings up a question though. I'm looking to buy a used 2015 TDI. How would I, as a buyer, know for a particular used car on a dealer lot, which of the two scenarios it falls into before buying it?

Can it be found in CarFax? If there is a title to VWOA in Auburn Hill, MI (that is the only location I've ever seen when VWOA takes ownership), some used 2015 TDI's show up with this in CarFax. Other used 2015 TDI's don't show a title transfer at all. Is that how one can tell the difference?

Last edited: