A little helpful info upgrading an 04 golf

LakotaBlues

TDI
2004 Golf
Hey, I am new to the forum but I did try to forage through the older posts and search outside the TDIClub so forgive me if I'm asking a freq asked question. I have a 04 Golf in CT with a BEW engine that is currently stock. Unfortunately the factory turbo is f.u.b.a.r. It's waste gate is seized open and I've decided to upgrade rather than just replace. Currently I have sitting on a shelf a Kerma VNT 17 turbo w/install kit, an AEM cold air intake, Neuspeed cat back exhaust system, and a Mishimoto front mount intercooler w/generic piping kit. Hopefully that should be enough back story. Now for my problem or questions.

Am I missing anything vital to keep my car from killing itself? A chip tune and suspension upgrade are next on my list already. I'm more looking for if I overlooked anything small that is vital.

Also how hard/difficult is a turbo swap for a beginner? I am interested in learning to this myself but I have zero experience working on a car outside of regular maintenance. Anyone know where I can find some reading material for this online?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just got thru upgrading my 04 BEW Jetta.

First off, ditch the AEM cold air intake. Do a search. The stock setup is better.

The turbo exchange will take about 4-8 hours according to how much experience you have. The hardest part for me was getting the stock EGR cooler off.

I would suggest taking the intake off and splitting. It's two parts, inside are little flaps, remove them. They can come out while the engine is running a destroy it.

Your stock injectors should be good with that turbo. It's just about a plug and play for your car.

I also would suggest a 3 bar MAP.

I have the Malone stage 4 tune, and I bet you can run the same tune. I would talk to Mark at Malone, but the are others that are good also. The good thing about Malone, is he can mail you the equipment to FLASH the ECU, so no traveling to get a tune.

Your stock Clutch is going to be marginal with the the stage 4 tune. You can more than likely baby it and get away for a little while, but you need to look at that also.
My stage 4 will slip the clutch in 5th gear if I'm not careful.

I would go to http://www.myturbodiesel.com/, they have detailed How to's there.

LakotaBlues

TDI
2004 Golf
Thanks I really appreciate all the info, but I'll probably stick with the AEM. I've seen posts arguing both ways and while I was deciding on components thought it worth it to go with the AEM but since intend to keep what I pull off I will have that option to go back.
The clutch issue I don't know if that applies. My golf has an automatic transmission. Originally it was bought for my wife's long work commute and she cannot drive a stick. Would prefer a manual but I'll work with what I got.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Please inlighten us to these posts you are finding as I am sure we could find many more on how bad the AEM filters are going to be for your car. I understand you are waiting on the tune but I wouldn't wait otherwise the stuff you are doing isn't going to do the best. Also it would be better to have a larger down pipe and OEM cat back exhaust then it is to have OEM down pipe and larger CAT back exhaust. You are going to have to be careful with your auto as they can't handle the HP that a manual can take.
The reason I state the intake part is there have been plenty of people that experiment with other things and most kill the MAF ($140) or the turbo since a lot don't filter as good. Your car already has a cold air intake on it. It pulls straight from the grill and plumbs into the air-box. Get a VR6 or an R32 air-box and snorkel if you aren't satisfied. You don't need those unless you are pushing double your HP (and don't need it even then) and your auto won't handle the air needed for that. I too when I first bought the car bought into the myth of needing something different on the intake and on some cars that may be true but not on this one. I corrected my mistake before my MAF was damaged.

LakotaBlues

TDI
2004 Golf
Thanks, if there are any helpful posts you have saved or bookmarked on just about anything thats good to know I'd love to read them. I realize and have seen that there will be more voices for the oem than the aem but I found it at a good price and simply wanted to try it as a personal preference. I appreciate the info on the AT especially. I'm not going any bigger on the turbo on this car and don't plan to ever tune it with the VNT 17 for max power. I just want to make sure it runs smoothly. The tune will actually come in the spring.