Gen 1 Post fix and been living at the dealer

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Hi evryone,

I have a manual 2012 Golf TDI. Bought it used, right after dieselgate, and was only eligible for the fix and a $2600CAD. Always wanted a golf TDI and absolutely love the car! Only problem I had was car going into limp mode, while driving, due to the known issue with water in the intercooler/pipes, last winter.

Brought the car in for the fix, early October. Drove for the car for a couple weeks, after returning from vacation, and got the CEL. Took the car back, they diagnosed issue with poor flow due to bad DPF, something along those lines, and that they would replace under warranty. Since car was just fixed, extended warranty wasn’t in the system yet, so I chose to take the car back, as suggested it wouldn’t do any further harm as DPF will be replaced. Drove with CEL for another week.

One morning, after a cold snap, and just a few days before my appointment to replace the DPF, car wouldn’t start. Turned out to be the intercooler freezing, issue. They replaced the DPF and replaced the intercooler. Drove the car off the lot and noticed a little shuttering, while driving. Approximately 100km after the fix, and on my way home from my commute, CEL came back on. Continued to make my way to the dealer, and 30km later, flashing glow plug light came on 10km from the dealer, and smelt like a regen was occurring, but not sure if it was?

Dealer diagnosed it to be the exhaust gas temperature sensor. They also replaced the intercooler hoses, as they found small air leak. I also requested they do a longer road test, this time around, as they only took it out for 5-10km the last couple times.

I ended getting my car back, after tech drove approx 120km. The shuttering was now gone, and the car drove real nice ,again. I was prettt happy and pleased, but after 250km, the CEL came back again:(. I didn’t notice any changes in driving, and was almost at the mall, for Black Friday. After shopping, I made my way to drop off the car back at the dealer. On the way back home, and after about 20km of driving with CEL, the car felt like it was running harder than normal. Car just felt different, when idling, and at low speeds.

I spoke to the service rep, who def seemed pretty knowledgeable, advised CEL was due to clogged EGR cooler. They’ve been working with VW head office and instead of replacing, they were advised to clean first. I asked if they could drive car for at least 300km, before giving back. At 120km interval, xbr was fine and just this morning, at about the 250km mark, CEL came back and related to the
EGR cooler and they will now replace.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe good for other members who have also gone through similar symptoms. I’ve been searching and reading the post fix threads. I read some people encountered very similar symptoms/diagnosing and possible clogged heater core? I’m likely getting my car back, next week, and will report back. Anyone else that had their egr cooler, and heater core replaced, after the emissions fix, having any issues since? I love the car, and definitely want to keep it for the long haul, but it’s getting a little scary anticipating another CEL :(

Thanks,

Ron

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Moral of the story

Dealer should have replaced the DPF and EGR filter first time, both items were junk first visit. Sad they ate up so much of your time nickle and diming the repair bill.

VW is going to eat any sort of savings of fixing a car vs buyback in warranty claims.

Just count your blessings you had the CEL after the fix, if it was before you'd be on the hook for 2-5K worth of their snails pace diagnosis.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Moral of the story

Dealer should have replaced the DPF and EGR filter first time, both items were junk first visit. Sad they ate up so much of your time nickle and diming the repair bill.

VW is going to eat any sort of savings of fixing a car vs buyback in warranty claims.

Just count your blessings you had the CEL after the fix, if it was before you'd be on the hook for 2-5K worth of their snails pace diagnosis.
Totally! I was happy all was covered under the extended warranty, just didn't think all these issues would come so soon. Again, better now vs later..

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Regarding the frozen intercooler, to ensure it does not happen again, you can drill a 1/8" hole in the lowest intercooler pipe on the passenger side.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431560

I did it last year and have had no more hard/stumbling starts or CELs.
Thanks, and I did see this tip. I'll see how the new intercooler works out for me. Some people say issue still happens, and some say it's been fine. Since I've gotten an extended warranty, I'll hold off with drilling a hole.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Wonder if they gave you a new stock Intercooler, or one with the flapper and the mod?

I had many a winters where the mod provided great results, only one or two stumble starts, but never a complete start shut off like it was before the mod.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
I was told it was the intercooler that was needed for the fix, so I will assume it's not the same intercooler as the original. I will ask, when I pick up my car.

My service advisor just called me back, and they replaced 2 exhaust gas pressure sensors? VW corporate said EGR cooler did not need to be replaced, after further diagnosis. They're keeping my car for the extended road testing, and should have back on Monday. We'll wait and see if all is good. If not, I guess next would be the EGR cooler to replace..

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
They are now replacing the EGR Cooler, engine light came back while they were testing.

I'm wondering if these issues are mostly related to the updated Intercooler replacement? I read through quite a bit of the thread for "Intercooler Freezing" and someone mentioning re-occuring CEL due to poor circulation with the EGR?

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Update-Got th car back last Friday and it’s been running fine for over 600km. Happy to have my car back and can relax a little w/o seeing the dreaded CEL!