www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 7th, 2004, 20:43   #1
TOBarber
Veteran Member

Default Vibration over 110 km/hr

At highway speed, over 100 km/hr there is a vibration through the steering wheel; like a shimmy. How is it possible to determine if this is wheel balance, wheel bearing, alignment or something else? I don't hear anything or feel much other than the steering wheel vibration.
TOBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 20:48   #2
SoCalJames
Veteran Member

Probably just tires. Just take it to Canadian tire and get them rebalanced. Unfortunately, the Mk 4 Chassis is crude and doesn't minimise tire imbalances. (It's a harmonic thing).
SoCalJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 21:47   #3
CB
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Black
Fuel Economy: 50/47/40

I assume you have no snow/ice in your rims, and if tires are Ok just have the fronts balanced, or if you are energeic, you could put the rears on the front.
Regards
CB&Stoker
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:12   #4
Toronto_Vento
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/48/44

First I would worry about snow/ice being packed onto your tire, especially the inside. Next, alignment. Do you have to fight with the car to keep it straight? Go on the highway, and drive on a straight section...let go of the wheel for a few seconds, and if the car drifts like crazy to one side, then your alignment is probably out. (your car should slowly drift to the right, but basically should stay straight for a while) Watch out for the potholes, though! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] If it isn't one of these, I would go and get your wheels balanced. These are all fairly cheap tests/experiments, so I would start with these. If none of these fix your problems, then you might have bigger issues.

If you need a really good place for alignments/wheel balancing, send me a PM. Great place for alignments, and they balance the wheels while they are on the car...more accurate than normal balancing.
Toronto_Vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:09   #5
TOBarber
Veteran Member

It runs straight as an arrow.

I think that I will get my wife to drive it on the highway and I will look at both front tires. And try not to collide with her. Next I will rotate tires front to back.
TOBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:17   #6
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

If there is not a vibration at any other speed it is a tire related issue. Either a slipped belt, of an out of round tire. BTDT too many times. All the balancing in the world will only help for a while. If the tires are still newer yu might be able to see the dot or mark on the tire and that is where the valve stem is supposed to be located. Many installers don't pay ANY attention too this.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:01   #7
mazot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/39/35

Here's my car's first experience at the shop: Within the first 20 miles after I purchased my brand new TDI, on my way to home, I noticed vibration of the steering wheel at 60-70 mph speeds. If I slowed down or drove faster there wouldn't be any vibration. There was a Sears tire store on my way so I stopped there and had them check the tire balance. They rebalanced all four wheels and the vibration was completely gone.

I suggest you check the tire balance first before checking other things.

Good Luck.
mazot is offline   Reply With Quote