www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old September 9th, 2017, 17:11   #16
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

HI,

I had a similar vibration issue (at about 70 MPH) and blamed it on tire balance but when I took the car in for our annual state inspection, my car (2003 jetta) needed rear control arm bushings to pass inspection and it was recommended to have an alignment after the bushing replacement.

I got the car back and drove it for work and no steering wheel shake at 70+ mph....

I don't know if it was the alignment or the rear control arm bushings but it made a difference for me ...maybe it can for you too.

I had put up with steering wheel shake for a long time since I was always busy and the tires seemed to wear ok...

Andrew
Andyinchville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:08   #17
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

The dealer did a 4 wheel alignment and 4 new tires and I still have steering wheel shake but over 110 km's. The steering wheel should not shake at any speed what so ever. Maybe one or more of the mag wheels that came stock on it are some what out of round. They did say the right rear was so a no brainier, one of the front also?? They need replacing if that is what it takes also. They need to correct it at what ever their cost. Will call again today and if need be, will talk with the owner of the dealer if service dept gives me the run around.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:24   #18
FXDL
Veteran Member

Well the dealer said on my own as they can not test the car over the legal speed limit or ride in a Car that goes over the speed limit. I asked them to put on a whole other set of tires and mag wheels same size as on mine to test and the part owner of the dealer said no as they don't want to pay a mechanic to do that. They wimped out of fixing my car. The dealer is Orillia VW in Orillia. They plain don't want to correct my problem. I think I will call VW Canada and make a complaint on the fact they want me to drive a car that is possibly dangerous. It does the vibration at speeds above 100 km's an hour. If one drives here on the 400 highway in the fast lane you better run as the others in that lane or you piss off a lot of people.

Last edited by FXDL; September 21st, 2017 at 05:26.
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:44   #19
FXDL
Veteran Member

It appears to me the Orillia VW dealer is not a dealer to use in the future.
Now when they first balanced all four wheels and did a four wheel alignment and it moved the vibration up in speed and made it worse that just maybe their alignment machine is out of alignment itself. Maybe their unit needs calibrating.
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:47   #20
FXDL
Veteran Member

Does anyone know VW Canada phone number so i can call them and complain? When looking it up on site it shows everything except it.
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:20   #21
FXDL
Veteran Member

I found it through another dealer near my work.
Old September 21st, 2017, 16:33   #22
FXDL
Veteran Member

Well I called VW Canada and put a complaint in. We see what happens. I am sure the dealer won't be too happy about it.
Old September 27th, 2017, 18:44   #23
turo79

I had recently purchased a set of new tires for my jetta and for a month I had a terrible vibration. I had it aligned and balanced numerous times before discovering that 2 of the new tires had broken belts. Once replaced it runs smooth!!
turo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 05:19   #24
FXDL
Veteran Member

Called VW Canada in Ajax. All they are good for is wasting my time. They said nothing they can do if dealer doesn't want to do anything as they can't force or order them to do anything. It wants to vibrate at speeds over the posted highway speed and a mechanic is not allowed to test drive or ride in a vehicle over posted speeds. VW is a useless. Useless is not the word i would like to use, buy cant say what I really would like to. The Orillia dealer and VW Canada in Ajax in my opinion are for sure a waste of time.
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:41   #25
FXDL
Veteran Member

Well as it turns out I installed 4 used OEM mag wheels with used all season tires on the mags. I drove the car and and the steering wheel ran smooth as glass, no vibration at all. So the used Continental tires that came on the car with some 20,000 km;s on them were at fault and the four brand new 205-55-16 Continental tires were even worse then the crappy tires that came on the car. The dealer at the end of all of it stated you are on your own, meaning too bad for me. The Dealer is Orillia VW and up to the end were not to bad, but a lot of good that is as they couldn't find the problem or rather they refused to do anything any more for the problem.
Orillia VW and the head office in Ajax are both a waste of time, in my opinion.

Last edited by FXDL; November 10th, 2017 at 05:03.
Old November 10th, 2017, 05:03   #26
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Take it from someone who has mounted and balanced more tires than I can remember: you can *balance* something perfectly, but if it is not round, it will shake no matter what.

This is why when I spin the wheel/tire combo on the balancer, in addition to watching the numbers, I LOOK at the assembly as it spins. If it wobbles, that is an issue. Cheap tires, tires that sat for a long time, old tires, anything made by Goodyear, are all going to be suspect and thus need extra scrutiny. But I have had bad tires from just about every manufacturer, even Michelin (although that is pretty rare). Sometimes a slightly bent wheel is the cause too. If there is ever any question about a wheel being true, I spin it up WITHOUT the tire mounted and watch the rim closely for a wobble.

Road force variance balancers are even better, because they do something "regular" balancers do not do. They actually load the tire on to a roller and measure the force as the tire rolls. They can detect things that even the naked eye cannot. Also, most of those machines have two stage balancing ability, where they can spin the tire at a higher speed to verify balance.

Related story: my brand new Sprinter's OEM Kumho tires were so bad the van was virtually undriveable. It had a jerk in the steering wheel starting around 10 MPH, and by 40 it was shaking the whole van. I could have sworn it had a bent wheel. Nope, 3 of the 4 crappy Korean tires were shaped like ostrich eggs.

New set of Continental Vanco tires and it is fine.
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:07   #27
FXDL
Veteran Member

I wouldn't use Continental tires ever again as two sets were useless. The brand new ones, the inner and outer tread blocks have cupped big time so all four are garbage now and were when brand new. The used all season were a cheap brand and on my car worked great compared to the more expensive Continental.
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:13   #28
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yes, Continental-General can be hit or miss for sure. But on some applications, there is not much choice. And on a select few, Continental is the ONLY choice.

Fortunately, the Vanco tires are decent enough, even if they are a bit noisy.

I prefer Michelin.
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:31   #29
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Interesting - I am on my second set of Conti pro-contact tires on the Passat, and no issues - they balance with minimal weights and no wobbles up through all the speeds I drive.

I do bribe the tire guy doing the balance with coffee and a request to calibrate the balancer each time.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:06   #30
FXDL
Veteran Member

Well if not bad tires then 4 bad stock OEM rims. I agree if the rim is bad but all four. I will check come time before putting the 4 summer rims back on, with a dial indicator as that will tell better then my eye?
I took the cheap all season tires off my winter OEM mags and had 4 cheap winter tires installed and the tires are made in Korea and they run nice and smooth and with our first snow storm they performed great. For what it would cost for a brand name tire I could get 6 of the cheap I had put on Wednesday. As far I am concerned, the big names cost you more then they are worth. Road force balancing I don't think would have helped the crap VW had on and then replaced with. I have never bought a brand name snow tire yet. I drive some 110 KM's a year, so it doesn't make scene to me, to run some over priced winter tire that is not going to last any longer or perform any better then cheaper snow tires. If one likes giving their money away then their choice. Each their own

Last edited by FXDL; November 10th, 2017 at 10:14.