Latest ghetto mod......

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
more LEDs

took out the 3w bulbs and replaced them with 10w. rated between 460-980lm. couldn't get any good info but they are Cree R5 5W each. a lot brighter but think i need to get red just to test the filtering properties in play.

before:

after:

ordered some 3w/190-220lm each totalling 1800lm. want to use 9 diodes, but if i can will put more, to replace the 3.3w piranha leds rated at around 320lm total. these will go into the 3rd brake light.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
gathering parts......

got some of them in yest.
5.6k ohm resistors, 3w LEDs, paste, 80w fogs. using a strip of the copper bourdon tube from a repurposed gauge for the mount/heatsink.
going from 3.3w to 27w. lumens from around 10lm (if remembered correctly)to 1800lm.

hoping to get them mounted and finished this weekend.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
saw this on the way home yesterday......

this was posted on another site i like:

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
latest mod…

ordered an Aux audio input for the Getto, to have better sound, from Enfig, which started out as the BlitzSafe VW/AUX DMX V.5 but was upgraded to the Dension GW1LVW1. installed it this weekend and now i have CD quality sound coming from the Monsoon. had been using the cassette adapter,it was OK, but now i can charge and listen with one connection. radio keys wouldn't get the HU out so i had to disassemble the surrounds. got lucky and nothing broke.
the only thing it was doing at first, but not now: after EOC and upon start up, it would pause music play. hasn't happened every time but i can live with that.
one of the best mods i like so far.

the product:

the loose blue plug was the one that was removed, replaced by the new white plug:

only other connection is ground, the location:

trim moved to get access:

location for plug connection:

running the cable:

grommet in place:

accidental plug disconnect prevent:

HU back in:

needed lower glove box screws removed:

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
finished plug:

buttoned up, phone in the getto holder next to the Ultra Gauge:

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
So is the Dension better than the Blitzsafe?

I don't have a monsoon system, but want to control my ipod through my radio. That way I can keep it in my glovebox and just shuffle through.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
dension is the upgrade of the blitz. this was done through enfig. was told a lot less returns using dension.
all controls are through my phone though. there is a diff unit you need if you have the single din.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
dension is the upgrade of the blitz. this was done through enfig. was told a lot less returns using dension.
all controls are through my phone though. there is a diff unit you need if you have the single din.
Gotcha. I wish I could have it solely controlled through the radio.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Stainless Steel Shift knob

picked this up from the auction site. nice and solid. he makes them himself and the polish was top notch. the feel is perfect, size is just right for my hand. can't wait to get it on the road.
started out with this:

solid and threaded:

remove boot and cover, separate old knob after getting the clip off:

got an old bolt with correct threads and welded on top after cutting off the head:

ran a die down the threads:

ground and cleaned the welds:

slipped a piece of shrink tube over shaft and opening was sewn to a smaller size(will make a newer one later):

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
will add blue thread lock later:

nearly 1 pound, 400 grams. heavy weight will make for smoother shifts. and it feels good.

1st_On_Mars

TDI
2x 1999.5 Jetta
If you take bottom of the boot off you could turn the boot inside out over the shift knob. Then zip tie the top around the shift lever and return to rightside out. this would clean up that top some. Just a thought

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
nice thought! i can see it in my head so i will do that. i will use stainless wire. thank you.

Used the zip tie instead. I think it looks better. Thanks Mars.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
thats a very nice polished knob yo have there...

(someone had to say it :p )

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Dasauto Haus

i am here right now in Spring. getting a well known eco tune/dynamic egr tune. $230.00 total cost. Chris said i am the first that he has done using the eco tune. my last mpg was 62 so i will see what i get. still have more than half a tank so it will not be accurate.

not good news and very dissatisfied out $60.00.
here's the story:

installed the egr/eco, went on the road for home at 12:10 pm. idle was different, power was WAY up. got 38 mpg right out of the box. not what i ordered. emailed the programmer and was told i was measuring mpg wrong. asked if i still wanted egr delete. hmmmmmm.
(stated how i measure mpg) and he again said i was doing it wrong. he then stated he would give me a refund. (i wanted a tune for better mpg) asked again if i wanted egr and about previous mpg. (i was fed up because i was getting nowhere and chris stated the tunes weren't worth the trouble) he then stated "Normally you should give it a couple weeks to adapt before monitoring MPG." i thought this was instant and not adaptive. i asked him if there was a chance the wrong tune was sent but he said no.
with original tune, same road, pulled in 65 at 40 mph.
i got the "refund":
original cost; **lon* tune, eco tune, egr: $221.06 but had the $60.00 shop charge.
got home at 4:20 pm.
thought there would be a little better support than that. i didn't want the tune and get 38 mpg all week, somehow knew it wasn't going to improve.

this was in the lobby:

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
new/old lights

bulb went out last week and this week the other. only i couldn't get it to work with a new bulb. hated taking them out, esp after I spent so much money on them.
so i dug out the old lights that came with the car:

removed the plastic lens:

chrome surround gets the Joey mod, my way:

painted white:

finished, complete with glass lens:

installed:

bumper is silver right now. it was replaced because the lower tabs were gone.
took about an hour each side. will see in a couple of days the diff between these and the HID's. should be better cause I only had one bulb.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
ordered Lamin-X off the bay. said for a MK4 Jetta but when I looked at it, for sure it was not right.
went with it anyway.

came with everything I needed, except a razor to scrape the lenses and a rag.

looks like it might be for a newer Jetta or Passat. it was huge.

trimmed instruction sheep to rough size of light.

then the sheet.

roughed out in place.

finished.

my trimming leaves a lot to be desired and am not satisfied I was sent the wrong part. have a dispute with the seller so will see where that goes.
that's it for now.
next on the list:
door window switch replace,
5th gear/tranny swap.

Last edited:

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Rallye Shifter

I love threads like this!

Here's one of my ghetto mods for my MK2 GTI that I installed a MK4 TDI and gearbox into: Rallye Shifter - posting this here as what is done is with all MK4 parts.

I think my son and I have been watching too many rallye videos on you tube and decided we wanted to have one of those long and easy to reach shifters. All be it it isn't a sequential gearbox in this car, just a 02J, we extended the shifter with with a M14 bolt welded to a 1/2" piece of pipe to act as the extension, covered with a piece of ABS pipe for a uniform profile all the way down. The short throw is accomplished both in the cockpit and at the gearbox.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
latest......

been having a lot of fog lately living so close to the coast. when it hits, 100% of my driving is in it on the freeway.
installed a rear fog laser, as of yesterday, but today was fogless.
here's what it looks like and will take a pic when the next fog hits.

the CS4 Cooper tires I have been using have met the end of their like. will be getting replacements, partly because of the front suspension wearing out, so that will be done before these go on.
they have been discontinued but superseded by CS%'s. same tire as far as 80,000 mile wear data.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
License Plate Mudflaps/Splash guards

Copying it from vortex, it's a lot to retype

::::::: Mod Name: License Plate Mudflaps/Splash guards
::::::: Why Worth It: Costs nothing but time, helps keep stones from hitting metal, chipping paint, dent and rust prevention.
::::::: Cost: $0, the king of cheap.
::::::: Where to buy: Wherever spare plates are available.
::::::: Time required: ~10 minutes.
::::::: Difficulty: 1 out of 10.
::::::: Tools needed: Tape measure or ruler, a drill, drill bit, TORX tool, marker, tin snips, hammer(optional).
Firstly, I have no idea if this is legal or if it's something you or me could get in trouble for in your state/country. I have not consulted any authorities on this. I am not taking any responsibility in any way for damage to your car, your driving record, or any other issues you may have with this. I am not the smartest person, this may actually be a big no-no. To date, I have had 0 issues, but I am anticipating a stop in the near future.
Now then, with that out of the way. The instructions are simple. Measure the distance between the bolts in the front wheel wells if you want precise measurements, or just go by what I've got in the photos and make the hole a touch larger so you can shimmy the plate around to make sure it doesn't touch metal and cause issues. You only have to drill one hole if you use the one already punched out. You can adjust where the hole is if you want yours to sit higher or lower than mine. Trim the small pieces of metal off the corners so nothing touches metal. Unscrew the two screws from the fenders, don't worry, the liner doesn't shift that much. Hold up the plate and reattach the screws back. You may need to turn your wheel to get a bit of clearance for the TORX tool to get in there. In the future I may end up spraying both sides with some black spray paint or some truck bed liner I have sitting around if it turns out to be highly illegal and nets me tickets. Here are some photos and measurements.

The marks on the right side are from a hammer(optional). I did this in order to get the bottoms to point backwards a little bit.

You can see how I trimmed off some metal on the two corners of the plates so it doesn't touch metal.

Final product, front view. In this shot you can see how the plate is sitting over the plastic and doesn't rub metal on metal.

Finished product, rear view.

I posted that originally 06-29-2013, no tickets so far. No issues. I've gotten thumbs up, surprised and confused stares. Lots of people tell me that there's a plate stuck in my wheel well. One of the plates broke off in the middle, because it was bent while going backwards through ice/snow over winter. The other is ripped in the middle, but it cost me $0. I will be making replacements soon. I have spare plates. So far, zero law enforcement issues, stops or questions. I must say, they do work rather well. I hear rocks hitting those things instead of my car and it makes me smile.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Deejaaa, you're welcome to use that idea. I was actually surprised that this wasnt done already(that I could find).

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
here's the latest....

needed an alignment because had wore out outer tie rods. replaced them but the ghetto part is, i put the left on the right and right on the left.
this is what it's supposed to look like but this is not mine:

imagine the angle as opposite from that.
down the road, steering is normal but when i make a turn at low speed, the angle is sharp. great for parking lot maneuvers. if anyone has a reason i shouldn't run them like this i will listen. my front end knowledge is limited.
this is the tool i used:

modded because i didn't like the spring that was on it. now it's a one person job.

it's 4 degrees toe in according to the tool. drives straight. centered the steering wheel. running with the 90,000 mile tires up front to see how they wear. if all is good, will put on the new Cooper CS5's:

i will see how it goes.

Last edited: