Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
This is madness. Nobody would want a light duty diesel pickup truck. Right? Right?

<chirping crickets>

I think you better watch out. The Detroit diesel police are going to come and get you for this. You aren't allowed to have a diesel pickup in North America unless it is a MASSIVE and useless thing that gets 15 MPG and costs $60,000.

(If my TDI ever gets written off, but the engine is still okay, then I'm going to do exactly the same thing. My car is old enough that I don't care what the insurance company might give me. They can $%@ off. I'm keeping my diesel engine with or without the car!!!)

Nice job...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Following this thread with great interest. I'm thinking of a swap sometime in the future, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Couple questions: are you putting higher (diesel) gears in the Toyota tranny? I would think that if you just bolted up a TDI to a gas tranny, max speed would be about 60... Also, why the mix of block/head? Are the B5.5 motor mounts in better places for a longitudinal swap?

My swap idea is to put an ALH in probably a first-generation Toyota MR2. Very light, mid-engine, great handling, cheap buy. I chose the ALH, because that's what my daily driver has, and a lot of the left over parts can be used multiple places. Plus, having only one engine type between my DD and my project car keeps me from having to learn a lot all over again. Any reason to think the transverse ALH would be a bad choice for that application? I'm looking into whether or not it's doable to remove most of the body around the mid-engine-bay. Otherwise, it would be a horrible pain compared to a regular front-engine. I looked at a mkii MR2 over the weekend, and the Toyota turbo looks like a MUCH bigger engine than the TDI, so there should be lots of room.
Actually with my trucks gearing and tire (265/70x17 FJ cruiser) combo...the rpms are around 2200@ 60 in fourth gear:eek: ...if I really want to roll out I put it in fifth.... my truck came stock with 235 75 15...pretty short tire so toyota had to gear it pretty tall to compensate....the B5.5 passat has the same mounting points as the ALH/BEW but I picked the short block up for a song so I may as well go 2.0 :D.... as for your MR2 concept I would totally go for it....nice torque with a mid engine thrill....not sure how you would adapt it but from what I remember the MR2 engines have a similar engine tilt to the VW, so I believe it would look right at home ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
This is madness. Nobody would want a light duty diesel pickup truck. Right? Right?

<chirping crickets>

I think you better watch out. The Detroit diesel police are going to come and get you for this. You aren't allowed to have a diesel pickup in North America unless it is a MASSIVE and useless thing that gets 15 MPG and costs $60,000.

(If my TDI ever gets written off, but the engine is still okay, then I'm going to do exactly the same thing. My car is old enough that I don't care what the insurance company might give me. They can $%@ off. I'm keeping my diesel engine with or without the car!!!)

Nice job...
Haha ...yeah "chirp chirp" ....the big trucks have their place but they are more often than not misplaced:rolleyes:....I actually feel like I'm going overkill with my "compact" toyota, as my beetle has been very adequate...but hey it's a challenge :)

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Haha ...yeah "chirp chirp" ....the big trucks have their place but they are more often than not misplaced:rolleyes:....I actually feel like I'm going overkill with my "compact" toyota, as my beetle has been very adequate...but hey it's a challenge :)
Yeah, the big trucks do have their place, but it would be so nice to have at least have the choice.

I guess the only way is to make your own!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
OK some more pics of the almost finalized intercooler setup....keep in mind this is my first time ever tig welding aluminum...and super thin 1/16" tubing at that...so I goobered it up in a few places:rolleyes: but it's strong .....:)

super sexy centerfold of the "U" bend I welded to the inlet;)

overview showing the routing from turbo thru the core support under the cooler through the "U" into the cooler and back thru the support and up to the intake...note the missing 90 degree silicone....just came in today and sitting on the coffee table :)

more side on view....decided to make my own custom "race pipe" so the cooler tubing could make a smoother transition to the mani ....still have to weld on a map sensor bung on order from fleabay...gonna place it just engine side of core support on the upper IC pipe ...here it is in case anyone is interested... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-G...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aecc11c4

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
can you really call it an ALh since it is such a hybrid, I love it

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
more parts and a little more progress...

here's the PS reservoir mounted to the fenderwell...it's from a new beetle and has almost a perfect config for the tacoma...one thing I noticed on the factory VW return line is that is has a restrictor orifice clamped in the line...I may have to use it to prevent overun on the res ...we'll see "EDIT" did some research last night and found out restrictors are added to slow fluid flow and reduce noise from the PS pump

the remainder of the parts for the intake system came in today...a 2"X2.5" elbow for the turbo to intake pipe, a straight 2.5" for the pipe to MAF, an AEM dryflow filter this is 2.75X5 ...and the MAP bung ...I'll try and get all this fitted tomorrow

Last edited:

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Looking sweet, jimbote. I can't let my wife see your truck though, or she'll resume cursing our "rough around the edges," rough ridin' '84... :rolleyes:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Looking sweet, jimbote. I can't let my wife see your truck though, or she'll resume cursing our "rough around the edges," rough ridin' '84... :rolleyes:
yer' truck is way better for a conversion...my last truck before this one was an 85' solid axle ...I was going to convert it but you could see asphalt thru the drivers floorpan...and the bed was super rusty...it was also ridin' on 16" "rimlock" truck style military wheels and bias 8plys from a central american toyota diesel...that thing drove like boxcar!!!:D....dependable truck just needed a new home...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
OK...I'll post the intake and installed upper IC pipe manana ...just wanted to get these on while they're hot ;)

driveshaft fresh from the shop... the bulge pipe is the old shaft new shaft is 2.25" inches longer to accomodate moving the engine/trans forward.... brakes inc. in raleigh off new bern ave. did the work...Matt is the man!!

and intalled....

hole drilled and location marked on the upper IC pipe for the weld on MAP bung via ebay

bung "welded" in...I used quotations to denote sarcasm for my "welding" ....I really want the stacked dime look but I'm seeing it takes ALOT of practice:rolleyes:

EDIT:...not where I got my MAP fitting but just like the one I used.... http://store.42draftdesigns.com/18T-MAP-Sensor-Flange-Kit_p_43.html

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

overview of engine bay in progress

detail of intake and upper boost pipe with sensor

better view of air intake support "system" solid alum rods with threaded welded spacers at the MAF and rubber flex nuts at the core support/inner fender

intermediate bracket for holding throttle bracket to firewall (rear view)...8mm nuts are to space it away from firewall due to convoluted shape of said firewall:rolleyes:

front view of bracket

trimmed VW throttle bracket ready to be tacked to intermediate bracket

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
as long as the bubble gum has no holes in it.. be proud of yourself.

awesome job.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
as long as the bubble gum has no holes in it.. be proud of yourself.

awesome job.
Ha ha...the question is can I chew gum and weld at the same time?...well isn't it obvious:) ....thanks though...I do feel good about the welds...just kinda of perfectionist with limited fabrication skills... ohh well.... git er' done !!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
a few more pics of the throttle pedal bracket ...

front view

rear...

installed

another view

with pedal in place... very tight clearance between parking brake assembly and pedal ...no rubbing just tight

and another view

here's a pic showing how i cut the vw throttle pedal off and attached the toyota pedal using two 8mm bolts welded to the toy pedal rod, this mod lowered the throttle pedal to a more stock comfortable position and gave it a more factory look :)

should be self explanatory ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
got a few more things fabbed up....the downpipe...stock tdi size into stock tdi flex into 3" :D...also welded a heater nipple onto the manual water outlet so the heater hose can pick up on the same side (pics in a few daze)...and started work on the 2.0 BHW/VE hybrid...gonna post a thread in the power enhancement section ...here's the link .. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308134

Last edited:

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Motoring Along

Nice work, jimbote, welding and all. You're cruising right along.

"just kinda of perfectionist with limited fabrication skills"

Yeah, that sums up this first time converter's Yota TDI... :D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

clearanced and welded oil pan.... my buddy Geoff came over and "practiced" on my pan to save me the grief of melting down a few hours of cutting grinding to fit parts:rolleyes:

water test!!

because I notched the pan I also had to clearance the windage tray drainback funnel...I removed just over an inch and angled it to match the pan mod

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

the modified manual coolant flange...had to make a block off plate for the rear (no room for the factory fitting) ...welded a nipple (from an old heater core) so I could pick up the heater hose without a big loop at the back of the block...and since I'm going with the aluminum flange now I can use the toyota temp gauge sensor :)

here's a pic of the completed engine assembly...going to pop it in today...some of the things I "got did" yesterday was drilling/tapping the factory BHW egt sensor bung for a 1/8 pipe egt sensor adapter...and drilling/tapping the ALH manifold for a 1/8 pipe boost sensor adapter...at this point I've only torqued the head to 44lbft until I get it mouned solidly in the truck...then I'll do the final two pulls....todays tasks will include fabbing up a support brace for the turbo and cleaning up the welds on the front engine mount and painting some parts...ohh yeah in it's current config: 2.0 BHW bottom end...ALH head (stock cam)...pp502 injectors...11mm pump....and stock BHW 1749VA turbo

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

downpipe...the flange is stock ALH..the first 90 is from the rear section of stock jetta MKIV exhaust (after cat) the flex is stock ALH...from there it's 3" and this is the best part :)...it's from my buddy Geoff's cummins 12v truck when he upgraded to 5" ....:D

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Good work! The enjoyment of the project will be replaced with the joy of driving your creation!

I got my old '83 Air-cool Vanagon running today.....had to move it! Anyway, it reminded me of all those trips to Alaska in that old Van.....lots of good memories.

I want to finish my project in the next 4 months! .... Maybe in time for the GTG in Lexington!