Advice Before Buying 2015 Golf DSG - Transmission Problems?

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I'm looking at buying a 2015 Golf DSG with 30k miles. First, I have no experience with the TDI paired with a DSG. However, I've logged 270k miles in my 2003 Golf with a manual.

During the test drive in the 2015 Golf DSG today, it felt like the clutches were slipping excessively while it shifted from 1-2 and 2-3 under hard acceleration. Although,it was smooth and clean under light acceleration. The slipping or my impression that it was slipping occurred in D, S or manual modes.

Is the clutch slippage normal under hard acceleration? If not maybe the DSG will fail or get worse within the 2 year/24k mile warranty?

I really want this car to work because it has all the targets I wanted in my new to me Golf.

Thanks in advance.

Forte

TDI
2015 Sport Wagen
Can’t say I’ve heard of any real issues with the newer DSG’s ... I bought a 15 GSW new and immediately hade a Malone Stage 2 done. I hardly drive my car hard but the DSG is a different trans... it’s actually 2 Manuals combined together. You would feel it slip cause the clutch engagement but that should be normal

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Charlie, you may want to drive another 15 DSG if you can find one, just to see if the perceived slippage is just on the car you're considering or if it's just the way all DSGs feel.

I have a hard time saying when my DSG might "slip", but it seems to me only to do so when transitioning from stop to start and vice versa. Never while switching gears while already in motion.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The two DSG's I have owned did not slip between gear shifts. As a matter if fact, the shifting was fast and crisp. I would shy away from the car.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Yep, my intuition was correct. It was the first TDI DSG I drove. I test drove three other TDI DGS cars and there wasn't the "slippage" I perceived with the primary car. The shifts in the other three were much crisper.

Good news though, I bought one of the other test drives. Jumping from the 2003 to the 2015 is a BIG improvement. The 2015 is the SE trim with the lighting package, in silver with black interior. I'm stoked :D

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Nice choice. I also traded into a '15 SE with lighting package. What a different driving experience it is. I just leave the lights and the wipers on auto mode, and all works as they should. Even snow, ice, and slush do not confuse the wipers.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yep, my intuition was correct. It was the first TDI DSG I drove. I test drove three other TDI DGS cars and there wasn't the "slippage" I perceived with the primary car. The shifts in the other three were much crisper.
Good news though, I bought one of the other test drives. Jumping from the 2003 to the 2015 is a BIG improvement. The 2015 is the SE trim with the lighting package, in silver with black interior. I'm stoked :D
Nice! Good luck with the car!:)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My 2015 shifts sluggishly from 1-->2 and 2-->3 when I'm light on the pedal and it's not warmed up; much crisper once it's warm and/or I"m heavier on the pedal.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Mine is really slow in reverse when it's really cold. I've noticed when I have it in S mode, the shifts between 2-3 & 3-4 seem to hesitate if I'm hard on the accelerator. I might mention it when I take it for the 20k service...