MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I'm still seeing mid 50s on winter blend fuel with my DSG. Can't complain. I've dropped from tanks in the 58-61 mpg range in September to the 54-57 mpg range with freezing temps in December. I'm very pleased with that.

It would be interesting to see what it could do tuned and with "off-road only" emissions. Regens are a b*tch on economy.
I have to keep up with city traffic on the beltways around here. 60-80 mph, speeding up and slowing down, on hilly terrain. It was killing me on mileage because I have a "fixed" 2015 with DSG. From your posts and fuelly webpage description, it sounds like you have turned your back on the fix, the restitution and the buyback. ???

That was my plan with my 2014 three pedal 6MT until an E350 driver took me and the TDI out when he blew a traffic light last year.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I have to keep up with city traffic on the beltways around here. 60-80 mph, speeding up and slowing down, on hilly terrain. It was killing me on mileage because I have a "fixed" 2015 with DSG. From your posts and fuelly webpage description, it sounds like you have turned your back on the fix, the restitution and the buyback. ???

That was my plan with my 2014 three pedal 6MT until an E350 driver took me and the TDI out when he blew a traffic light last year.
Mine’s a fixed stop-sale, purchased last May.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Seems to be sucking fuel and DEF since the cold weather.Filling fuel at around 450 mile mark, no chance of making 500 now. Avg. between 37-39mpg last few tanks.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Last tank was some highway, some suburban, and a 300 mile trip to Maine in a snowstorm with 4 people and luggage in the car. Temps in the 20s most of the time. 40.8 on this tank, including my son driving at 55-60 MPH in 4th and 5th on snow-covered roads. I'm thinking this is 3-5 MPG less than my ALH would get under similar conditions. Not a bad penalty for a more powerful, larger, and more comfortable car.

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Yeah, this is somewhat upsetting. I drove my usual commute today, between 11-18F outside and only managed 40mpg (130mi roundtrip, 120 of which on the highway). Didn't even come close to the advertised 43mpg fuel economy.

Never happened to me in the previous, unmodified GSW DSG. I would get 45-47mpg under similar conditions in that one.

As I wrote before, I didn't notice any difference in FE before the cold hit. But now it's very noticeable, annoyingly so. The conservative way I drove today easily got me 50mpg in October even. What could be the reason of this huge drop? 20% worse FE...that's more than significant.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
tired of the fixed (neutered) 2015 DSG?

2015 GSW DSG, Kerma Stage 1+

I was having a hard time even getting 40 mpg with the fixed TDI (see fuelly), except on road trips but still couldn't break 45mpg. After tuning...increase in performance is surprising at times from low to mid-range speeds (10 mph to 45 mph), and much more willing than the neutered post-"fix" engine, throughout rpm range. I expected that really, but what I did not expect was getting better fuel economy while using that new performance. Oh, I am sure that it will use the fuel if you push it harder, but the additional torque is realized without much throttle.

About a 10% gain on the first tank, even while enjoying the new performance (did this about December 12th last third of a tank-will update fuelly as I accumulate new tank fills). But it just got very cold, so I don't know if that will sustain on this tank. The tune allows the car to maintain highway speed with little effort and the instantaneous MPG output jumps up when you are just cruising 70-90 mph. This was not possible before the tune. Not even close. This car has well under 10k on it. I wonder about additional improvement as I pass 20-25k and the engine is broken in?

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took a hit on latest tank, only getting 52.7 mpg. Bitter cold temps (car is not garaged), car loaded with both my sons and gear for post-Christmas trip up to the Poconos, and hit traffic jam yesterday afternoon from Villanova PA all the way to Christiana DE. It all added up to my worst tank in months.

I also found out that the car will self-interrupt a regen when the tank range gets very low. I never knew it did that until today. Watched the whole thing on ScanGauge.

Last edited:

WhatFloor

TDI
Golf 2015 TDI S Manual (Purchased new in 2017)
I get about 40-41 MPG avg once she goes below -20 celsius.
It would be more like 36-37 MPG if I drove at normal speeds.
I tend to drive much slower in winter, about 5-10 kmh below the limit.
There are just too many unknowns once things get that cold, particularly with the new trend of not leaving any distance between vehicles.
40 MPG is still pretty damn good, considering the fuel has less energy. I figure go 10% slower in winter and you won't see more than a 5-10% drop in economy overall.

WhatFloor

TDI
Golf 2015 TDI S Manual (Purchased new in 2017)
I get about 40-41 MPG avg once she goes below -20 celsius.
It would be more like 36-37 MPG if I drove at normal speeds.
I tend to drive much slower in winter, about 5-10 kmh below the limit.
There are just too many unknowns once things get that cold, particularly the new trend of not leaving any distance between vehicles.
40 MPG is still pretty damn good, considering the fuel has less energy. I figure go 10% slower in winter and you won't see more than a 5-10% drop in economy overall.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I've been getting in the mid 40's to low 50's depending on how cold it is and I was getting in the mid 50's during the summer. Quit a drop but I don't think it's so much different than my ALH. It went from mid to upper 50's during the summer to the upper 40's to low 50's during the winter.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Mid 40s in town. Had 2 fill ups at 61-ish high way. Mid 50s normal high way.

None of my driving would be considered cold (deep freezing) temperatures.

Car not fixed ~~ Low miles on the clock ~~ No mods ~~ Not much spirited driving

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Update, upper 40's & low 50's are possible when temps are in the 20's and 30's but not below 0. The last 2 trips, about 150 miles all highway each time I was down to about 43 actual. Temperature ranged from -5 to -13 F.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Effect of COLD air

We had a cold snap, and then it warmed up. It gave me an opportunity to see how the tune reacts to air temp. It was in the teens for a few days, and I could really see lower mpg with fewer miles racked up on first half of tank, and the instantaneous readout obviously down. Even after warming up to 190F, it seemed to want more fuel on the 20-25 minute commute. Then yesterday we had a break from the freeze, into the 40s by noon, and sure enough, it bounced back up and this morning. It was like 33F-34F when I started it in the morning. Quick heat in the cab within 5 miles and the instantaneous readout showing higher mpg even in hill holding and light acceleration situations.

Maybe long road trips are more immune to cold weather since everything warms up to normal operating temps, but a 25 minute commute seems much more affected by the cold. I need to get the garage cleaned up and start parking in there during the winter. Not heated, but warmer than outside. That should help.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some observations from the recent two week cold weather snap with temps never reaching freezing and around zero F at night with an ungaraged Mk7 TDI:

I suffered my worst and first sub-50 mpg full tank since purchasing the car new in May when I filled yesterday:
613.5 miles
12.341 gal
49.71 mpg

On one of the worst days, when it was single digits temp, the car wouldn’t reach normal operating temp of 203F oil/193F water on a 50 mile trip. This suggests a winter grille blockage would be beneficial.

I also have an appointment to install FrostHeater on Friday (and of course it’s supposed to reach 50+ degrees :p).

So in summary, I am seeing about an 8 mpg drop over my typical tanks in fall (58 mpg) when temps were in the 40-60 range.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Some observations from the recent two week cold weather snap with temps never reaching freezing and around zero F at night with an ungaraged Mk7 TDI:
I suffered my worst and first sub-50 mpg full tank since purchasing the car new in May when I filled yesterday:
613.5 miles
12.341 gal
49.71 mpg
On one of the worst days, when it was single digits temp, the car wouldn’t reach normal operating temp of 203F oil/193F water on a 50 mile trip. This suggests a winter grille blockage would be beneficial.
I also have an appointment to install FrostHeater on Friday (and of course it’s supposed to reach 50+ degrees :p).
So in summary, I am seeing about an 8 mpg drop over my typical tanks in fall (58 mpg) when temps were in the 40-60 range.
Your numbers are better than what I get in the summer in my SE 6MT. And I drive pretty conservatively (maybe a bit over 70 on the highway, coast a lot, don't step on it uphill etc). Heck, they're better than what I was getting in my previous un-fixed SE DSG.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your numbers are better than what I get in the summer in my SE 6MT. And I drive pretty conservatively (maybe a bit over 70 on the highway, coast a lot, don't step on it uphill etc). Heck, they're better than what I was getting in my previous un-fixed SE DSG.
I only use my car for commuting. No short trips. It rarely is driven less than 50 miles after being started. And I can’t do 70 as you do, as I don’t want to get charged with reckless driving for doing 20 mph over the speed limit. I was pulled over for doing 57 several months ago in Caroline County, MD. The cops in DE, MD, and VA are serious about speed enforcement.

That being said, this car does appear to be a ringer on mileage. My last TDI was common rail and DSG also and my average mpg was 11 mpg lower: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/passat/2012/bluehentdi/147011

My situation was a bit different when I owned that car though, as I used it for short trips and grocery getting and my commute was less than 10 miles.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I only use my car for commuting. No short trips. It rarely is driven less than 50 miles after being started. And I can’t do 70 as you do, as I don’t want to get charged with reckless driving for doing 20 mph over the speed limit. I was pulled over for doing 57 several months ago in Caroline County, MD. The cops in DE, MD, and VA are serious about speed enforcement.

That being said, this car does appear to be a ringer on mileage. My last TDI was common rail and DSG also and my average mpg was 11 mpg lower: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/passat/2012/bluehentdi/147011

My situation was a bit different when I owned that car though, as I used it for short trips and grocery getting and my commute was less than 10 miles.
Ringer for sure! Sad we won't see more if this motor over here as it really shines! Even in these early miles, I'm doing better in my GSW than I did in my "un-fixed" 09 as well, using the exact same way, traveling the exact same roads. It's heart breaking to know we were scheduled to get this motor in the Tiguan and Lord knows that'll never happen now. ??*♂??*♂

Full front cover that IDParts has done in the past would CERTAINLY help so if there isn't one by next winter, I'm gonna have to fabricate my own. :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Full front cover that IDParts has done in the past would CERTAINLY help so if there isn't one by next winter, I'm gonna have to fabricate my own. :)
Dilly, dilly. That’ll be on my must-purchase list if ID Parts offers it by Oct 2018. Otherwise I’ll have to improvise as well.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Finally, I managed a trip back from work today (65mi, 58 of which on hwy) at 53mpg. Mid to high 60's outside, dry conditions and almost no wind. Drove as usual: 70-73mph in the 70mph area, and 60-64 in the 55mph area (the latter is about a third of the whole highway stretch). Wonder if the fuel was winterized; I filled the tank two days ago when the warm(ish) weather was already upon us.

The net elevation difference was in my favor. Under same conditions, I usually get about 3-5mpg better on my way home.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Dilly, dilly. That’ll be on my must-purchase list if ID Parts offers it by Oct 2018. Otherwise I’ll have to improvise as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if your mpg get about to where they were before once you have the frost heater installed. I had one back when I had a 06 TDI and water temp was usually about 170deg when I started the car in the dead of winter. You won't scrub as much economy getting the car up to operating temps but will still have the "fight" of maintaining the temp in the low air temps which will cost a little but nothing like getting up to temp from cold.

Look forward to seeing how it effects, thanks for sharing!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Didn't do it

Looking into a Golfwagen for my wife and was wondering how many miles per tank, which is why I came upon this thread.
Currently she has a Fit and I have a fit on how often we fill the tank, compared to how often I fill my B4V, I can go over 800 miles a tank to her 280 miles.

Be nice if the Golf would have a 18gal. tank like the B4. So, based on what I have read 400 to 500 miles a tank?

Just thought that I would let you all know-

My wife did test drive a 2015 Golf Wagon. And the dealership was stuck on the price of $22,300. She was okay with it, but since GM had a sale event and the Equinox was a 2018 AWD TD ($10,000 more than the Golf Wagon TDI, that was a 2015 with no AWD) that gets 400 to 500 miles a tank. We done did it!

So, although I still have a VW. I cannot be part of your group. Maybe a secret one?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just thought that I would let you all know-

My wife did test drive a 2015 Golf Wagon. And the dealership was stuck on the price of $22,300. She was okay with it, but since GM had a sale event and the Equinox was a 2018 AWD TD ($10,000 more than the Golf Wagon TDI, that was a 2015 with no AWD) that gets 400 to 500 miles a tank. We done did it!

So, although I still have a VW. I cannot be part of your group. Maybe a secret one?
There's a non-VWAG diesel sub-forum. I'd assume there are some other Equinox owners on here somewhere. Probably not as pretentious as the BMW owners either. :p

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
My 2015 does not seem to be affected by cold weather like my 2011. Granted, it's a mild winter here in Oregon, but I was seeing a decrease in mileage with the 2011 as soon as the daytime highs dropped below 70F. This 2015 seems to be as happy in the 30s and 40s as it is in the summer.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
My 2015 does not seem to be affected by cold weather like my 2011. Granted, it's a mild winter here in Oregon, but I was seeing a decrease in mileage with the 2011 as soon as the daytime highs dropped below 70F. This 2015 seems to be as happy in the 30s and 40s as it is in the summer.

... This ol' Okie, bought my first Diesel, 2.5 years ago. But I drive so few miles, (6,500-ish) it just is sinking in about the differance of summer and winter MPG.

Best ever was (2) fill ups at 61-ish.

But as late as last Saturday it was only 51.1 MPG. 22 degrees F.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
sucks, bay area traffic leaves me with 36mpg. i did drive to sac and back going 75mph, so maybe the avg for this tank will finally break 40mpg :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove to Detroit and back over last weekend, 4 people and luggage in the car, snow tires on. Traveled mostly at 75-80 MPH, my usual. 39.8 on the way out (very windy), and 42.8 on the fill in Syracuse (508 miles) on the way back. Low fuel light came on this AM and MFI is showing 42. I adjusted the MFI readout slightly while in Detroit, and now it seems to be within .5 MPG of accurate.

Since the car has 7K miles on it upon return, I think that summer FE with more miles on the car, fewer people, and summer tires and fuel should be within 10% my ALH, which usually shows 49-52 in similar summer driving. I can live with high 40s in good weather for the additional space and comfort.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't know how you are getting such a high MPG.
Are you sure VW didn't sell you diesel hybrid by mistake?;)
Not sure how many ways/times I can say that I’m an outlier. My commute is perfect for mileage (long, flat, rural, few lights/stops, few other drivers, in a 50-55 mph speed limit in a heavily-enforced area). I also use another car (my GTI) to satisfy my short trips and need for enthusiast driving. The TDI is my 55-mile leg commutermobile. It does 110 miles four days a week and a few long road trips in the summer and ad hoc. This is also my fourth TDI and I have the experience to coax a couple of extra mpgs out of them by resisting the urge to drive like the angry city-slickers I begin to encounter on the western edge of my commute. There’s no magic to it.