My SRP (Stealth Race Pipe) 'How to'

stevef

Veteran Member
TDI
golf gt tdi 110
Hi, I did the stealth race pipe job on my car this afternoon, I turned an aluminium plug the same size as the steel valve seat you remove and pressed it in from the outside, I left a head on it just like the steel piece and the EGR flex pipe easily fitted over the head, I didnt have any dremmel bits so i bored it out with a milling cutter in a die grinder and then sanded it with a flapwheel, I must have opened it up by at least an 1/8 of an inch diameter in the area just after the shut off flap, It was a pretty easy job too i wish i`d done it sooner, I dont see any point in making a blanking plate now as its blanked off at the housing I did about a 25mile drive after and Im sure it seems to go better now Im definately going to do my intake manifold now.:)

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
I just wanted to point out what I did to the plunger stub after it had been sawn off. I actually drilled it back further which can be done through the EGR port opening as seen below. (I wanted to address the potential for the 'weeping hole' problem by sealing this hole off with J&B Weld.)

I used JB Weld for the top hole and Quiksteel (500F) for the EGR bottom opening.

I couldn't get the shine like Wingnut, probably need more variety in sand paper, but this is what I have:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
eddie_1 said:
I just wanted to point out what I did to the plunger stub after it had been sawn off. I actually drilled it back further which can be done through the EGR port opening as seen below. (I wanted to address the potential for the 'weeping hole' problem by sealing this hole off with J&B Weld.)
Simply genius! I wish I had thought of that when I did mine...

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Looking very good! I wish I had a warm garage to work in, but unfortunately I don't so this little project will have to wait until spring.

VeeDubJimbo

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
So I have a CEL in my '98 Jetta TDI that has been diagnosed as a problem with the EGR solenoid valve. I replaced that, but the problem is still there. Then I took it in to the dealership, and they told me that it needed a NEW EGR valve and that it would take 4 hours to do it, totalling about $1,100 in parts and labor. You guys seem to have this all figured out, and it looks like the valves can be cleaned pretty easily. I am pretty handy with a set of tools... is there a comprehensive guide on this process, start to finish? I would really like to clean my intake manifold out and never have to worry about it again.
Also, how do I tell which engine I have? I've been told that there were 3 different engines in the '98 Jetta TDI.

pfiermka

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black TDI
Cel

I have a 2002 Jetta, will I get the CEL if I install a SRP? if so can this be disabled via Vag-Com?

Thanks,
Ken

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Is there any chance of the jb weld and quicksteel getting sucked out of the holes and into the intake? How likely is that to happen?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
LiquidBlackDZL said:
Is there any chance of the jb weld and quicksteel getting sucked out of the holes and into the intake? How likely is that to happen?
This is a very good question... when i did my SRP i thought about of it and i didn't do it finally for this question...

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
LiquidBlackDZL said:
All I can say is that it has been a couple of months of 18 PSI and spikes driving driving without any issue. JB Weld/Quicksteel have been tested in much tougher applications i.e. rebuilding engines etc. So if the bond was that weak there would be alot more people screaming. The main thing you want to do is to roughen up the contact surface for better bond. A chemical bond can be much stronger than a few threads.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Satiro said:
This is a very good question... when i did my SRP i thought about of it and i didn't do it finally for this question...
Hi Espagnol, you could have just tried it out on a piece of metal and taken a sledge hammer to it. Europeans think, Americans just do it! ;)

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Satiro said:
The TDI manifold is never under vacuum. Only at atmospheric pressure or above, so no risk of it getting sucked in. Worst case scenario would be it shooting the plug out.

When I make them I use a dremel tool to cut a grove around the perimeter of the hole before I fill it with JBweld. The ride would prevent any possibility of it moving(either direction).

Jetta2001TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
GER Tee Solution and CEL

It appears that blocking off the vacuum hose to the EGR will trigerring a CEL.

Just from reading the previous posts, one would benefit from never having to clean the IM or the EGR.

Is there a long term engine problem with the the ECU knowing that there is a EGR fault code?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Jetta2001TDI said:
Is there a long term engine problem with the the ECU knowing that there is a EGR fault code?
If you have another problem that would trigger a CEL, you would never know it.

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Wingnut,

thank you so much for this idea. I made myself one yesterday. Granted i blew up my compressor running the grinder and had to buy a bigger one alone with some grinding bits, etc. but i could make one much faster next time. i went the route of welding the hole up.

Last edited:

Sin

TDI
Seat Ibiza Mk2 1.9TDI
I have a 1.9 seat ibiza mk2, and was wanting to completely remove the egr valve as it seems to be quiet a easy job, but the egr at the moment seems to be control by a electronic vacuum switch, if i were to remove the egr would my ecu change the amount of air and fuel going into the engine ??

I have already tried to disconnect the switch's and nothing much seem'd to change still was ok to drive.

Cheshire Cat

Veteran Member
TDI
ibiza.130/skoda Octy4x4
Sin said:
I have a 1.9 seat ibiza mk2, and was wanting to completely remove the egr valve as it seems to be quiet a easy job, but the egr at the moment seems to be control by a electronic vacuum switch, if i were to remove the egr would my ecu change the amount of air and fuel going into the engine ??

I have already tried to disconnect the switch's and nothing much seem'd to change still was ok to drive.
no it's not that smart -(mk4 Ibiza owner)

spamuel

TDI
jetta 2000
Everyone here seems very mechanically inclined. So here goes, I made the mistake of cleaning the guck out of the manifold without removing it. With the shopvac going i seemed to have missed some chunks from falling in. I'm sure i have a bent valve now that i tried to start the engine, and it's seized. Any ideas on tutorials or service manual PDFs i can take the head off? and the steps to follow.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
spamuel said:
Everyone here seems very mechanically inclined. So here goes, I made the mistake of cleaning the guck out of the manifold without removing it. With the shopvac going i seemed to have missed some chunks from falling in. I'm sure i have a bent valve now that i tried to start the engine, and it's seized. Any ideas on tutorials or service manual PDFs i can take the head off? and the steps to follow.
Eeek. I dont think I'd suggest taking the head off yourself if your at all unsure of what you are doing. Do you have the timing belt tools?

spamuel

TDI
jetta 2000
No timing belt tools.. i better go get some.
I've taken off everything but that now.
So far the only thing that went wrong is snapping the oil feed line to the turbo.

golf44

TDI
Golf 4 - MK4 ASZ
it's a nice idea to cleaning the egr :D

it's a radical bettering ? here in europe, we can disable the vacuum hose to the egr. and the egr doesn't working.....

JP123

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Passat Sedan, 1.9TDI AFN
Hi mike,
Did you remove/cut out the butterfly valve (stop valve) when making your SRP-mod? (If so, how difficult is it).
Or did you stop the cup-saw & cordless drill just before the butterfly-valve ?

-Jan

LurkerMike said:
Thanks. I am the ultimate hillbilly redneck machine shop... I used a bicycle pump I bought at WallyMart for the sleeve material. I gave it the needed sizing and taper with an exhaust pipe expander. I honed it out with a wheel cylinder brake hone. I used a die grinder to get a 1 3/4" cup saw drill started in the EGR and I bored it out with that cordless drill. JB Weld epoxy to glue it in. (not pictured is a can of carburetor cleaner and some paper towels that I used to clean off the excess epoxy before it hardened).

Here is the tool kit you will need:

Here is how it compares with the race pipe that I removed (to add anti-shudder valve protection)... it is only slightly smaller in diameter where the butterfly is located:

JP123

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Passat Sedan, 1.9TDI AFN
What Spec. do the JB weld (not avaiable in Denmark) etc. have that you have used ?

- Temp. resistence value ?
- Is the EGR-housing cast iron or Alu ?