My 03 Jetta tdi turns over but won't start.

momster

TDI
03 VW Jetta TDI
I have combed this website and just can't find any postings similar to my situation. I need some advice, my 03 Jetta tdi (36,000 miles) would not start, tried to jump start it, push it etc, it sounds strong just won't turn over. I drove it two days before and returned from a 250 mile trip the day before that, not a problem. I use biodeisel 99% of the time, on my return trip I put 9 gallons of dinodeisel in and cruzed home. I have done this before several times. I changed the fuel filter thinking it would help, no change, had it towed to the dealer, they put another fuel filter in and said that there was air ing the lines, probably from me changing the filter? They bled them, and the car started and has started everyday they have had it, they won't guarantee that it is fixed because they could not find anything wrong, they just keep starting it each day and 5 days later I am afraid to pick it up or find out what its going to cost. Is there a switch or fuse of something they can't detect with their computers that could cause this?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My guess is either the anti shudder valve got stuck in the closed position temporarily (cutting off air to the engine), or the relay 109 is on its way out. Although, I thought they changed the relay in you model year? I wouldn't worry about picking it up. If you want to read up on the ASV, check out Compu_85's post stickeyed to the top of this forum.

EDIT: It seems that it is no longer a stickey??? Here is the link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=128812&highlight=anti+shudder+valve

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Momster, did you bleed the fuel filter after you changed it? You would need to bleed it in some fashion. That may be why it didn't start after changing the fuel filter.

It's possible that it was a sticky ASV as mentioned, then with all of your cranking, it broke loose, but the car wouldn't start because there was air in the lines.

Go get it and drive it and worry less. :D

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Also may want to have someone check the timing. I have heard of 2 '03s where the timing was quite retarded. They had slightly higher mileage, but no TB work since factory. Get it checked and bumped to the top of the graph if needed.