Pricing of 13-14 jetta sportwagen tdi after fix ?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sure, a delete will give a significant FE bump, making it as good if not better than the ALH.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Realistically, you'll probably see high 30s in the JSW. Maybe you'll crack 40, depending on your driving syle. The car is significantly heavier and more powerful than your ALH, and the emissions hardware take a toll on FE.
Not directed entirely at you, as lots of other people post the same misinformation, but I really wish these old wives tales about weight and power affecting FE of '09+ cars would go away. It's the same Mk5 chassis as the BRM (other than the '11-14 sedan), nobody points out BRMs as "heavy". The JSW is 200lbs heavier than a Mk4 Jetta. I've run them across the scale at the quarry across the street from my shop. That's the same as driving around with a passenger in the front seat. Does a passenger in your Mk4 reduce fuel economy by 20%? No. Does tune and injectors on an ALH to put it in the same power range as a CR reduce fuel economy? No. It increases it. This is all really common knowledge around here, yet somehow it gets lost, even though it should be fairly obvious when people are reporting ALH like FE with a tune and delete.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you look up MKIV wagon weights they're all over the map. My GL wagon (no sunroof, crank windows) weighs under 3,000 lbs. But fully optioned they can weigh significantly more. Looks like a base MKVI Sportwagen is around 3,300 lbs. So you're right, the weight of the two cars can be close. Or not.

I was writing more from my experience with my '12 Golf, stock, with 15" wheels. I would see low 40s in mostly highway driving, high 40s in the Summer. But if I drove it locally in Winter the FE would drip to the mid to high 30s. Weight notwithstanding, the fuel used to get the exhaust up to temp quickly (especially in Winter) and regens take a toll on FE.

And speaking of misinformation, people claiming they don't take an FE hit with a DSG transmission is one of my favorites. On a highway drive perhaps you won't see much of a difference. But there used to be many threads here about poor traffic/city FE with DSGs. Just saying.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I am not deleting my DPF... especially with a 4 year and 40K mile warranty in the balance. People who get the fix then modify their car are making a mistake in my opinion. For what to make a race car out it or get a few MPG more? Waste of money and illegal as all heck...

Per OP original question WHAT DO THEY COST>.. GO LOOK.. Check KBB, NADA, Edmunds.com, Cars.com, Truecar, Cargurus, eBay... They cost what they cost. Shop around. If you get the 4 yr and 40K warranty with it (not sure if it transfers), then it is worth more in my opinion. I'm keeping my JSW... not for sale at any price...

Last edited:

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Just saw a 2013 with under 18k mi. for 15,700. talked em down to 14,500. Added fees went up to 16,700. Passed on it...Two flaws - mouse damage in underhood blanket and a quarter sized hole in the rear bumper. 3 tiny dings. owner did 10,20,30k sched. maint. about every 5k. Retirees methinks...

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
Just picked up a 2014. Pick it up after work tomorrow.

Last edited:

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Got my 13 jsw manual (base) with 55k + cpo for 15k, down about 500 from asking price but coulda got more off. A few minor cosmetic blemishes but I'm super stoked to have this car! I have literally been waiting 10 years to get a tdi jsw with a manual trans and mk6/7 are the best featured and refined. On the secondary market they are difficult to acquire in decent shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Got my 13 jsw manual (base) with 55k + cpo for 15k, down about 500 from asking price but coulda got more off. A few minor cosmetic blemishes but I'm super stoked to have this car! I have literally been waiting 10 years to get a tdi jsw with a manual trans and mk6/7 are the best featured and refined.
If it's white and has fabric floor mats it may have been my '13 JSW TDI 6M

It was never much trouble at all. After close to 51,000 miles I turned it back and received my original dealer price.

ez

joytdi

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I wish the low pricing you are seeing were available around here. We test drove a 2015 TDI GSW SEL manual and they wouldn't budge from 25k. 21k miles on it. Seems the DSG models are going for 3-4k cheaper. This particular dealer brags about how people from all around the country are buying them over the internet sight unseen.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
An SEL manual is a rare bird. Dealers probably can play hardball on that particular car.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
An SEL manual is a rare bird. Dealers probably can play hardball on that particular car.
I haven’t been on the national sites in a while but when I was shopping there were less than 5 of these cars available nationwide and they were all priced in the $25k range. Nice SEL with DSG were around $22k or so. Definitely a rare bird and priced as such. Honestly, I’m impressed that VW even offered manuals in the SEL. With the new Jetta I think you are stuck with the base trim

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I wish the low pricing you are seeing were available around here. We test drove a 2015 TDI GSW SEL manual and they wouldn't budge from 25k. 21k miles on it. Seems the DSG models are going for 3-4k cheaper. This particular dealer brags about how people from all around the country are buying them over the internet sight unseen.
It's the golf station wagen, not the SEL trim level though that certainly contributes. Even when new, the GSW TDI with manual was rare (unlike the relatively easy to find JSW TDI manual). Now on the secondary market, it's even more rare. I mean, if I could have found that car, I'd have bought it over my JSW, but I haven't seen any of those cars... anywhere.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
It's the golf station wagen, not the SEL trim level though that certainly contributes. Even when new, the GSW TDI with manual was rare (unlike the relatively easy to find JSW TDI manual). Now on the secondary market, it's even more rare. I mean, if I could have found that car, I'd have bought it over my JSW, but I haven't seen any of those cars... anywhere.

Definitely rare, but the base models are not commanding $25k asking prices. A very nice one sold on this forum for around $17k recently. But it does seem clear that fewer manual GSW's were produced than JSW's. I bet its less than 1 in 10.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I am back in the TDI fold with a Certified 2014 JSW, Moonrock Silver, slicktop with DSG and beige interior. 49k miles! I had to go 1,000 miles to get it but it was worth it! $15,200 out the door. Many of the dealers in Southern California insist on a $500-$1000 extra charge (3M protection, Data Bits, Teflon Coating, worthless stuff) it it just pushed the prices too high. I had to go to Oregon. Not a perfect car with a few scratches but I think most are not perfect.

Next step is to lift it!!!

Last edited:

Bfonz91

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Just picked up a 2013 JSW TDI with 57k and the sunroof for $11,800 before tax and fees. Felt like a great deal. Proud new owner!

CincyJSW

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6 Speed Manual
Bought 2, both 2013 manual trans. One with sunroof and one without. Without sunroof had 31K and sunroof had 53K, super clean, paid $13K each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alecw81

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
I am looking for a 2011-2014 below $10k. You guys think it's an issue buying one with over 100k miles?

I just picked up a CPO, 2014 JSW TDI DSG, w/Pano, 27k miles for $14.9 here in NC.

I'd assume you can find one with 60-80k miles on it for under $10k

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I just picked up a CPO, 2014 JSW TDI DSG, w/Pano, 27k miles for $14.9 here in NC.

I'd assume you can find one with 60-80k miles on it for under $10k
I bought a similar car as you for a similar price. I felt like the newer cars were better deals. There wasn't a lot of discount for years/miles when I bought mine. I'm not putting a ton of miles long so the newer car may have the emissions warranty run until 2014 for me since my car wasn't titled until 8/21/14.

Things seem to have settled out a bit in terms of price. There are only 2 under $10k but there are a few in the $11k range that could maybe be had for $10k.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-volkswagen-jetta-tdi/6709609260.html

Here is the cheapest 2015 wagon I've seen anywhere.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2015-vw-golf-sportwagon-tdi/6726511687.html

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I purchased my 2013 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI with 68K miles back in October for 10.5 grand out the door. DSG, push button start, nav, panoramic roof... she was pretty much loaded with the exception of rubber floor mats and wheel lock key. I had to buy those separately. All in all, I think I got a pretty decent deal.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I bought my 2014 JSW DSG with 160k on it in November... $6k out the door. Came with the rubber floor mats, the cargo organizer set and the original carpet mats. No sunroof, but I didn't want that or the pushbutton start.

I'm not worried about the mileage on it, the maintenance was done every 6 weeks/10k like clockwork. It was a company car. This also seems to be a good solid platform like the ALH, I think these have a lot of miles potentially in them.

Dang near mint condition interior and excellent exterior. I got 37mpg driving it home at 70-75mph, and just got 40mpg at 83mph calculated after deletes and tunes. Going to replace the radio with an Apple Carplay, once I decide which one I want (I want wireless). Even putting upgrades into the car, I couldn't have touched the price buying in Florida. Well worth the drive to Knoxville, and that dealership had a stack of them - they said they were doing a solid business JUST in the TDIs, and were thinking of picking up a truckload more. VW is flooding the market with them, so deals are definitely out there.